First cork trip of 2017!

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

First cork trip of 2017!

Postby ninted » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi lads!

After a fun but not very prolific Donegal trip over Christmas, I pulled the boat back to its cork harbour resting place not giving much thought to get out for at least a few weeks. Well, buddy Andrew rang for a shore trip on Saturday 8th and after a quick weather check I suggested a boat trip on Sunday morning would be a better idea, given the calm conditions.
We were on the water before 830am and fishing in the cork bouy area before 9. I though that given the conditions and the seeming lack of good fish in the harbour a good spin out would be worth it, even for a short time.
And for once, I was right! First drop and we boated a cod and a ling of half decent size. A few more cod followed and loads of ling until we had to drag ourselves away at about 1245, probably an hour or so later than agreed...
Still, a great mornings work and though it was foggy it was pretty calm and quiet so really peaceful out there. A charter joins us at one point and another small boat.

By the way, I heard that the cod quotas have been filled by the trawlers, can anyone verify this? Also, there a small commercial out over the mark we were fishing and he was pulling in a set net- (two white marker bouys marking ether end) - I presume he had every right to be there but I hadn't seen anyone do that before so I am curious...

All the best for 2017! C

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

For this message the author ninted has received thanks: 2
chuckaroo (Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:16 pm), JOHN1 (Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:54 pm)
ninted
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 29 times

Re: First cork trip of 2017!

Postby chuckaroo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:42 pm

sounds like an ideal wee trip.
any pics?
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby shortcircuit » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:29 pm

Nice trip.might I ask what rigs /bait you were using ?

Those boys were probably pulling in gill nets. Obviously nowhere is safe . . .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Postby ninted » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:43 pm

chuckaroo wrote:sounds like an ideal wee trip.
any pics?

I can't sign in with my Google account right now for some reason but I'll post a few when I can!

ninted
SAI Bait Ball

Postby ninted » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:49 pm

shortcircuit wrote:Nice trip.might I ask what rigs /bait you were using ?

Those boys were probably pulling in gill nets. Obviously nowhere is safe . . .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

We were using 3 hook Muppet and feather combo rigs baited with mackerel - I think we've bought all the stock from murrys [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] because we like em so much but they're getting in more I think. Image attached. I am gonna tie up a few single muppett rigs though on a flowing trace. More fun with one hook and less costly when you lose gear.
IMAG0107.jpg

ninted
SAI Bait Ball

Postby johnwest » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:18 pm

Always good to get a few ling, one of the few fish I occasionally take for eating. I would agree with the single hook strategy for fun and economy, nice to know I'm not the only miserable sod about! Instead of a flowing trace which is more prone to snagging, I use a pater noster style single baited Muppet on a twisted wire boom when drifting rough ground for ling, snags and tangles around the mainline less.
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Postby ninted » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:01 pm

johnwest wrote:Always good to get a few ling, one of the few fish I occasionally take for eating. I would agree with the single hook strategy for fun and economy, nice to know I'm not the only miserable sod about! Instead of a flowing trace which is more prone to snagging, I use a pater noster style single baited Muppet on a twisted wire boom when drifting rough ground for ling, snags and tangles around the mainline less.

Thanks John! Yes I would use similar but a boom with a weak link length of mono to the lead so when you bump the bottom and take a few turns up you know your trace is clear. I must tie up a few larger Muppets and beads to see how they work. Bling, particularly silver, is great for ling, and I don't think it would put cod off either! Can't wait to get out again. Is Donegal being blasted by the weather right now?

ninted
SAI Bait Ball

Postby ninted » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:12 pm

ninted wrote:Hi lads!

After a fun but not very prolific Donegal trip over Christmas, I pulled the boat back to its cork harbour resting place not giving much thought to get out for at least a few weeks. Well, buddy Andrew rang for a shore trip on Saturday 8th and after a quick weather check I suggested a boat trip on Sunday morning would be a better idea, given the calm conditions.
We were on the water before 830am and fishing in the cork bouy area before 9. I though that given the conditions and the seeming lack of good fish in the harbour a good spin out would be worth it, even for a short time.
And for once, I was right! First drop and we boated a cod and a ling of half decent size. A few more cod followed and loads of ling until we had to drag ourselves away at about 1245, probably an hour or so later than agreed...
Still, a great mornings work and though it was foggy it was pretty calm and quiet so really peaceful out there. A charter joins us at one point and another small boat.

By the way, I heard that the cod quotas have been filled by the trawlers, can anyone verify this? Also, there a small commercial out over the mark we were fishing and he was pulling in a set net- (two white marker bouys marking ether end) - I presume he had every right to be there but I hadn't seen anyone do that before so I am curious...

All the best for 2017! C

ninted
SAI Bait Ball

Postby ninted » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:42 pm

ninted wrote:Hi lads!

All the best for 2017! C

Hi lads, I was put again on Sunday, a few cod and ling but patchy enough compared to last Sunday. We did see a lad in a charter type boat out there who came from kinsale direction who appeared to be dragging a net though, and it really didn't look official but I'm not sure like I said before what the rules are. He was motoring along at probably 4 or 5 knots and there was a rope going into the water behind the boat definitely under tension which would suggest a net. He checked it periodically and worked his way from south to north as far as the smiths and back. The boat didn't look kitted out (winches , pulleys etc. ) for trawling so I don't really know what he was at! I'd ring the fisheries but I don't want to be annoying them with every boat I see with a rope out the back... I would like to know if and how I can report suspected illegal activity without being a nuisance though... Any advice?

ninted
SAI Bait Ball

Postby JimC » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:21 pm

Sea fishing is largely controlled by the SFPA. Bass are watched by IFI.
Commercials that are registered can just about do what they want if they have a licence.
So, gill netting, trawling, pair trawling, long lining, jigging it is all above board if the boat has a licence to fish.
Outside you will see plenty of boats laying nets and/or pots. There can be a bit of trawling going on too. The major trawling goes on out a bit further. That said you can see big boats working herring close in too. I don't know what that boat you saw was at... sounds unusual unless he was on some survey work rather than fishing.
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby ninted » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:46 pm

Yeah that's what I thought he might have been doing too, but I didn't get close enough for a good look.
I have noticed that There does seem to be a big absence of pollock near the harbour or over any of the grounds I've been fishing lately though, and I'm not sure why. Usually they are a good go to if nothing else is happening. Is there a time of year they move out to sea or spawn or something, or are they just getting heavy netting pressure? Any ideas...?

ninted
SAI Bait Ball

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports