Recommend a headlamp

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Recommend a headlamp

Postby chuckaroo » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:07 pm

I'm going to ask Santa for a new headlamp for Xmas.. but after spending an hour or two online looking at headlamps and associated specs, my head is spinning

so what do I need from a headlamp?
- amount of lumen?
- recharagble battery pack (that lasts for a few sessions)?
- red light option for bass fishing?
obviously want adjustable and waterproof

I also noticed that there can be big differences in prices for the same headlamp from different places online - im guessing that these are different updated models of the same headlamp? But I couldnt see much difference. For example, I cant see anything significantly different between these to lamps:
£48: http://www.uktoolcentre.co.uk/Shop/p~92 ... -Pack.html?
£21: https://www.ledsupermall.com/led-lenser ... 0wod_UcDCw

Spending price up to 50 euros I guess.
Can anyone recommend a good headlamp that does all of the above??

Any advice welcome
thanks in advance
Last edited by chuckaroo on Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Re: Recommend a headlamp

Postby Marco » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:35 pm

I would definitely go for a rechargeable model with at least 300 lumen.
Led lenser 14.2R is a bit more expensive but fantastic light.
SAI SAC
FISH - an animal that grows the fastest between the time it’s caught and the time the fisherman describes it to his friends.
Marco
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 56 times

Postby mickser » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:14 pm

Hi chuckaroo I bought one of these from China last year no problems only long delivery time but works well very powerful light batteries can be recharged = https://www.wish.com/?next=/cart%3Fadd_ ... 63b8c97ac6
I have not fished in two years hoping to change that this year with anything ?
mickser
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 175 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby ASamblin » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:14 pm

9000Lm CREE XML T6 2R5 LED Headlight Headlamp Head Lamp Light 4-mode torch 2x18650 battery EU/US Car charger for fishing Lights
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/32537337 ... 37932.html
(from AliExpress Android)
ASamblin
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby chuckaroo » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:12 pm

Marco wrote:I would definitely go for a rechargeable model with at least 300 lumen.

Thanks Marco, a little out of my price range though..

mickser wrote:Hi chuckaroo I bought one of these from China last year no problems only long delivery time but works well very powerful light batteries can be recharged=https://www.wish.com/?next=/cart%3Fadd_product%3D55376429e3f79a1c5e0ddd04%26add_variation%3D55376429e3f79a1c5e0ddd06#cid=56f3cc8993ddf963b8c97ac6

Thanks mickser. I can't seem to access this link without logging in?

ASamblin wrote:9000Lm CREE XML T6 2R5 LED Headlight Headlamp Head Lamp Light 4-mode torch 2x18650 battery EU/US Car charger for fishing Lights

Thanks ASamblin. This seems a very reasonably priced headlamp but im wondering why is it so much cheaper than the LED Lenser H7R.2 that I was considering? - wouldn't 9000lumen be way more than enough and make the battery run flat quickly? Does it illuminate in a red option also?
Charlie

2024 targets:
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Marco » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:01 pm

The 7R2 was the first one I bought, still have it and my son is still using it. Certainly not a bad headlamp. Funny enough I picked up that Cree lamp for about €15.00 in Holland about two months ago. You can't adjust the beam on it and that drives me bonkers. It's ok when you use it occasionally but if you use it frequently I think you will get more pleasure out of the Led Lenser.
SAI SAC
FISH - an animal that grows the fastest between the time it’s caught and the time the fisherman describes it to his friends.

For this message the author Marco has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:15 pm)
Marco
SAI Hammerhead

Postby red » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:55 am

Have a look on www.ledpowerhouse.com
Its an Irish site. The lad that runs it is very friendly and will answer any questions you have. Good range on it too from cheap to very expensive. I wouldn't bother with a rechargeable, just get rechargeable batteries and don't scrimp on them, you get what you pay for.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk
red
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 222 times

Postby ASamblin » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:06 pm

chuckaroo wrote:
Marco wrote:I would definitely go for a rechargeable model with at least 300 lumen.

Thanks Marco, a little out of my price range though..

mickser wrote:Hi chuckaroo I bought one of these from China last year no problems only long delivery time but works well very powerful light batteries can be recharged=https://www.wish.com/?next=/cart%3Fadd_product%3D55376429e3f79a1c5e0ddd04%26add_variation%3D55376429e3f79a1c5e0ddd06#cid=56f3cc8993ddf963b8c97ac6

Thanks mickser. I can't seem to access this link without logging in?

ASamblin wrote:9000Lm CREE XML T6 2R5 LED Headlight Headlamp Head Lamp Light 4-mode torch 2x18650 battery EU/US Car charger for fishing Lights

Thanks ASamblin. This seems a very reasonably priced headlamp but im wondering why is it so much cheaper than the LED Lenser H7R.2 that I was considering? - wouldn't 9000lumen be way more than enough and make the battery run flat quickly? Does it illuminate in a red option also?

I bough one about 3 year ago and it still works perfect, I also would recommend that you purchase a spare set of batteries (Sony or Samsung) if possible as the onee that come with it are not great quality, unfortunately
It don't illuminate in red
ASamblin
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby chuckaroo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:07 pm

Thanks again ASamblin

So, I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend a good headlamp with a red light option.. ??
Also With: a powerful light option, adjustable settings, tilt, rechargeable batteries and charger, water and dust proof, and all under 50yoyos !
Charlie

2024 targets:
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Postby jellybait » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:32 am

I use a Petzl tikka 2 plus very light, very comfortable, it has spot light and a lower light setting with a diffused lens that slides over to give a wider light spectrum also has red light ,onl;y thing is its not recharchable but runs on 3AAA batteries ,but i find that handy as your never stuck for a charge for that last minute session , I have it about 5 years and used for all ocassions and the only fault is the button on the top is starting to wear but for the use its had I cant complain (You see them being used on alot of programmes on discovery etc , I think there is a newer model out there of it now . I Have used others but find the big battery pack on the back annoying altough its a stronger light , and the charge is never enough for a long session when alot of light is needed . this the best so far for its money ,Hope this is of some help

For this message the author jellybait has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:16 pm)
jellybait
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 53 times

Postby chuckaroo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:16 pm

jellybait wrote:I use a Petzl tikka 2 plus very light, very comfortable, it has spot light and a lower light setting with a diffused lens that slides over to give a wider light spectrum also has red light ,onl;y thing is its not recharchable but runs on 3AAA batteries ,but i find that handy as your never stuck for a charge for that last minute session , I have it about 5 years and used for all ocassions and the only fault is the button on the top is starting to wear but for the use its had I cant complain (You see them being used on alot of programmes on discovery etc , I think there is a newer model out there of it now . I Have used others but find the big battery pack on the back annoying altough its a stronger light , and the charge is never enough for a long session when alot of light is needed . this the best so far for its money ,Hope this is of some help

Great response jellybait, thanks
sounds good
im trying to find a link to this headlamp but I can't.. do you think that you could give me a link please??
- trying to see how much they cost, how powerful they are, if there is a rechargeable model..
cheers
Charlie

2024 targets:
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Marco » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:11 pm

SAI SAC
Marco
SAI Hammerhead

Postby chuckaroo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:11 pm

Thanks Marco
that is a review of the headlamp all right but it doesn't give details of the lumen or let me know if there is a alternative rechargeable model, the shop is also based in America.
I have found some rechargeable Petzl headlamps closer to home but many don't have a red light option nor seem very powerful..
Millets Sports sell Petzl headlamps, I can maybe make a call tomorrow

This is what I really want but hey-ho its pricey:
https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Led ... Gwodk-0D7A
:mrgreen:
Charlie

2024 targets:
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Paddyschoice » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:26 pm

Hi all, I have a powerful headlamp that I originally bought for night hiking, there's a seriously powerful beam, and a second option of a wide angle beam that doesn't have the same distance. When night fishing would this amount of additional light belting around the place put fish off and drive them away?
Paddyschoice
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby daveyboy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:54 pm

I recently got an LED lenser mh6 for 60 quid. Is rechargeable, 200 lumens, red light option ... very happy with it
daveyboy
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby chuckaroo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:13 am

Lads, this topic has been resurrected from a year ago. I got a new headlight last xmas, no need to respond with recommendations..
FYI, I got a Led Lenser H7R.2 and I can't fault it. Really compact and with a fantastic beam, amongst other things, although it hasn't got the red light option.
Ta

Paddyschoice wrote:Hi all, I have a powerful headlamp that I originally bought for night hiking, there's a seriously powerful beam, and a second option of a wide angle beam that doesn't have the same distance. When night fishing would this amount of additional light belting around the place put fish off and drive them away?

I really don't think so. There is a belief that lights do scare fish (esp. bass) but I have seen a lot of fish (not necessarily bass) completely unphased by headlight torches
Charlie

2024 targets:

For this message the author chuckaroo has received thanks:
Paddyschoice (Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:36 pm)
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Postby keymcg » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:43 am

chuckaroo wrote:Lads, this topic has been resurrected from a year ago. I got a new headlight last xmas, no need to respond with recommendations..
FYI, I got a Led Lenser H7R.2 and I can't fault it. Really compact and with a fantastic beam, amongst other things, although it hasn't got the red light option.
Ta

Paddyschoice wrote:Hi all, I have a powerful headlamp that I originally bought for night hiking, there's a seriously powerful beam, and a second option of a wide angle beam that doesn't have the same distance. When night fishing would this amount of additional light belting around the place put fish off and drive them away?

I really don't think so. There is a belief that lights do scare fish (esp. bass) but I have seen a lot of fish (not necessarily bass) completely unphased by headlight torches
There was a bass caught during a night time competition that i was fishing in Donegal last Friday. The beach was lit up like o Connell street at the time

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

For this message the author keymcg has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:26 pm)
keymcg
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 86 times

Postby johnwest » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:13 am

/quote]There was a bass caught during a night time competition that i was fishing in Donegal last Friday. The beach was lit up like o Connell street at the time

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk[/quote]
Chuckaroo wants to know are there red lights on O'Connell Street or is that the wrong part of town?
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Postby chuckaroo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:24 pm

Very good JW!

(Would ye frequent that other 'part of town' yoursel?)
Charlie

2024 targets:

For this message the author chuckaroo has received thanks:
johnwest (Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:13 pm)
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum