Casting Tip!

Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!

Moderator: Seaniebo

Casting Tip!

Postby Paddy002 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:31 am

I recently was at a polymer training course with work, it turned out the Prof. giving the course was a keen fisherman. He divulged a tip that he said he uses for long range casting, it seems plausible but I'm on the fence. Apparently he coats the eyes of the rod of in teflon (what non stick pans are coated in) to reduce friction between line and rod thus increasing cast distance. He said it added 60 yards to his cast, which i definitely dont believe but i reckon it could possibly add some distance. Has anyone ever tried it??
2019 Species:
Codling, Whiting

2017 Species:
Mackerel, Dog Fish, Whiting, 3 bearded rockling

2016 Species:
Pouting, Cod, Coalfish, LSD, macks, pollock, dogfish, Bass, Eel, Garfish, Ling, conger, yellow fin tuna, Skipjack Tuna, parrot fish, Trigger fish, Scad, Conger, whiting

2015 species:
Codling, sea bass, mack's, flounder, Dab, three bearded rockling, coalfish, dog fish, bull huss, ballen wrasse, Pollock, European eel, cuckoo wrasse, ling, conger,scorpion fish, cod, pouting, blue shark, whiting

For this message the author Paddy002 has received thanks:
Sweetwrasse (Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:53 am)
Paddy002
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 48 times

Re: Casting Tip!

Postby ShaneH » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:03 pm

at most you might gain a yard or two not something you will notice in a fishing situation. The ceramic thats used to make guides like zirconium aluminium oxide and alconite are all slick enough for fishing situations
Sportscast Ireland
ShaneH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 284 times

Postby paddyc » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:31 am

Yeah, I have heard of casters spraying their guides just before a comps, not tried it myself but would imagine its worth a few yards..
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby 5turbo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:51 pm

There has to be some element of truth in what the speaker said, fair enough it might not add a 60 yards to a cast but as the man from Tesco says . . . Every little helps!!
5turbo
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby mickser » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:58 pm

WD-40 or any other light oil is as good
mickser
I have not fished in two years hoping to change that this year with anything ?
mickser
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 175 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby itsonlymemikeyt » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:07 am

i'd be a bit dubious about that adding much distance to be honest. as long as the line/eyes are clean and dont have sand/grit etc in them there's really no significant friction there. might give it a a lash with some fly floatant i have in the fishing box or some vaseline. couldn't hurt to chance it and see.
itsonlymemikeyt
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Tips & Tricks for Sea Anglers