Shamrock "Feed" Lure (Feed Shallow Copy)

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

Shamrock "Feed" Lure (Feed Shallow Copy)

Postby shortcircuit » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:32 pm

Said I'd leave a quick review of this here

These lures were on offer at the angling show in February so I picked up a couple for the laugh. They seem to be very similar to the Rapture version of the Feed Shallow. It retails at €12-roughly half that of the Feed Shallow.

The other day while out on an early-season blank session I decided to compare the Shamrock lure with a regular Feed Shallow. I have the 18.5g FS in mullet pattern, not the slightly heavier "plus" version

In appearance, the two lures have pretty much identical shape, with the same stubby bib. The paint job on the shamrock lure is not just as slick as the FS.

The two lures weighed exactly the same on my digital scales -18 g (my scales doesn't have decimal places in grams)

The trebles on the shamrock lure seem fine, but time will tell if they are more prone to rusting.

So down to business

Where I started fishing, there was a slight breeze at my back. I saw very little difference in the distance achieved by either.in fact the shamrock seemed to be going a little further.

In terms of action, the shamrock has a good action very very similar to the FS. on very close inspection the FS has slightly faster, tighter wobble where the shamrock tends to do a slightly wider slalom. The difference is very small though.
Both lures run at the same depth about a foot or so.

I did encounter a big enough difference in casting when I changed spot and was facing into the wind. The FS did not cast great into the wind (a known fact) but the shamrock did very poorly into the wind altogether.

When I looked at the two right beside each other, I saw that the shamrock is physically bigger than the FS maybe a mm or two wider. I think this makes it less aerodynamic and catch in the wind more (probably why it cast longer with the wind)

All told not bad at all for the money, and definitely a good shout if it's not too breezy

For this message the author shortcircuit has received thanks: 2
Bob (Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:16 pm), kieran (Wed May 04, 2016 9:18 am)
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Re: Shamrock

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:16 pm

Great review.
Bob
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 15 times

Re: Shamrock "Feed" Lure (Feed Shallow Copy)

Postby shanboman » Tue May 03, 2016 10:57 pm

Good review..nice to get reviews of new gear on the scene

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk
shanboman
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Re: Shamrock "Feed" Lure (Feed Shallow Copy)

Postby Spruce » Wed May 04, 2016 8:16 am

Agree with the other comments, good review. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Spruce
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 12 times

Re: Shamrock

Postby Johnboy » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:53 am

Great review. I've tried the rapture lures copy too and it was also a terrible caster and a slightly offset bib made it come in at an angle. They're not an easy lure to copy and the weight-transfer system in the tackle house lure is what makes that lure design work. Without it, it is a very unstable profile.
Johnboy
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 8 times

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers