Breathable waders - advice

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

Breathable waders - advice

Postby shortcircuit » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:23 pm

Is there any item of fishing gear that gives more trouble than waders?

I have a set of snowbee neoprene waders. I don't use them that often in the summer maybe 3-4 times a month maximum. First year I had them - great perfect no problems.

This year nothing but torture. Leaks in either leg and either boot. I wear them beach fishing now for warmth more than anything else- the neoprene is good in the winter in fairness.

So I am thinking of breathables for next year but I don't want to shell out over 100 on something that's going to leak after a year.

What say you all ?
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Re: Breathable waders - advice

Postby Crevan » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:21 pm

Don't think by buying breathable waders that you'll be escaping leaks!!
I go through a set each year but I do spend a lot of time on the water.
Currently using Patagonia Rio Gallegos. They are beautifully comfortable but they are a replacement set for a previous pair which failed after a few months.
Waders need to be washed down after use and stored correctly, hanging upright.

If you find a pair that don't leak with good use let me know!!!

From MY experience stay away from Greys, Snowbee.
One of the lads I fish with had Reddingtons. They worked well for a few months but failed miserably after.
Crevan
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 78 times

Postby JimC » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:52 pm

I wouldn't be too heavy on waders being in the boat but I have had great service from a pair of Climb8 breathables.
Irish company so easy to deal with.
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby shortcircuit » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:33 pm

I had a look at the climb8 ones-if they did a season or two they would be good value. I like two things about them:

The price
They say that they will give two years guarantee for normal wear and tear-would be great if true.

I see Henry Gilbey gave them quite a good review too-but I won't comment any further because the very mention of his name can cause ructions around here!
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Postby Crevan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:25 am

JimC wrote:I wouldn't be too heavy on waders being in the boat but I have had great service from a pair of Climb8 breathables.
Irish company so easy to deal with.

Never heard of these Jim but more than willing to try them out for my next pair with them being Irish.

For this message the author Crevan has received thanks:
shortcircuit (Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:26 pm)
Crevan
SAI Hammerhead

Postby JimC » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:02 am

I 'd say I have mine 5 years. Boat fishing is probably not as hard as shore, less brambles. The only leak I have had is where I pulled off the belt loop by getting it caught. I used the spare tape that came with them and some Aquasure - going grand again. defo worth a go for the price I think.
http://www.climb8.ie/

For this message the author JimC has received thanks:
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby Crevan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:58 am

JimC wrote:I 'd say I have mine 5 years. Boat fishing is probably not as hard as shore, less brambles. The only leak I have had is where I pulled off the belt loop by getting it caught. I used the spare tape that came with them and some Aquasure - going grand again. defo worth a go for the price I think.
http://www.climb8.ie/

Agreed. I'll be willing to give them a go.

I'm not sure if any breathable waders are designed for saltwater. If not washed down (I stick mine on the line and hose down every couple of sessions).
I remember speaking to a leading guy from Patagonia and his reasoning was that the salt crystalises as the waders dry thus opening the fabric and rendering it porous. I've had that happen a few times where there was no puncture on fabric yet it still let in water. Seams are also disaster areas so make sure to get a good fitting pair that wont put pressure on them.

For this message the author Crevan has received thanks:
Crevan
SAI Hammerhead

Postby jellybait » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:19 pm

I use the climb 8 breathable bib and brace and the jacket for all kinds of fishing and there the best I've used by a long shot ,I've never got wet through them ,There waders are on the wish list the company are a pleasure to deal with too

For this message the author jellybait has received thanks:
jellybait
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 53 times

Postby bogwoppit » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:12 pm

I've used a pair of Orvis breathables for a number of years now, they are on their last legs but owe me nothing.
They are the only ones I've been successful with.
I had them renovated a couple of years ago by Diver Dave over in the UK and I would recommend him to anybody who is having trouble with leaky waders.
One of the biggest causes of leaks in breathables is too tight a fit.
If they are tight on any of the seams when you squat down then they will leak pretty soon.
Not drying them out after a session will cause them to become porous which is terminal.

I have a climb8 jacket and find it a brilliant piece of kit, I would consider buying climb8 waders on the back of the the performance of the jacket.
bogwoppit
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby Clive O Driscoll » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:07 pm

Just saw this thread,

I do mostly Fly Fishing for Salmon, and since coming back from abroad got me back into it and of course in need of Breathable waders.
Patagonia Rio Gallegos is what I went for, as they are half the price of Simms G4's and to be honest, I can't say anything about Simms waders as I never owned a Pair, each to their own i suppose. But their Boots I can vouch for....

The Patagonia I got were a great buy, I used quiet a lot this year from Jan 17 ( Opening day for my Club ) to getting back to Sea Beach Fishing, wading through rough High water on the Laune, Lee etc, brambles, etc to scrambling over rocks, etc with Beach.

The fit is Larger than I wanted first, but being back in Ireland the Thermals had to come out and the extra room is very Welcome, so not rubbing the Seams as such.. The only Leak I've had so far to date, is when I had a 4" Tube fly ( start of Season ) get caught in the Howling wind and lash me straight into my thigh, fixed with a bit of Aquasure, jobs Oxo.

Straight after Every day's Fishing, I hang on the line and wash with the hose, leave them there and let them dry away in the Air. Cant complain really.

Had a few Neoprene waders, great for start of the Season but personally I prefer to use my Dry suit Thermals and Breathables, so by summer time, ditch the Thermals and roll down the waders...
Clive
Clive O Driscoll
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 40 times

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers