sit on or spray deck

Forum to discuss angling from kayaks, canoes, portabotes and other coastal craft. Small boat and kayak angling in Ireland.

Moderators: MAC, anthony byrne

sit on or spray deck

Postby THE BROW » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:28 pm

hi all gettin a yak in a couple of weeks have experience in fishing a few years had a boat before i understand it can get dangerous out there but would like to here some opinions on which is better and why sit on yak or one with spray deck im looking at sit on but do like the look of the others all info welcome thanks and does any have or used a galaxy cruz it looks like a fantastic deal
THE BROW
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 25 times

Re: sit on or spray deck

Postby guts » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:58 pm

sit on kayaks are the prefered yaks cause if u do take a spill you can sort your gear out and hop back on sit in yaks dont realy have rod holders and are not as easy to get into ,again and after 4 hours yak fishin its nice to move your legs out the side of the yak or streach your legs witch you cant do in a sit in eg more freedom to move and acess storage on your yak like gear rods fish bucket the galaxy yak is very small ok for lake use or inshore macky bashen
guts
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 40 times

Postby THE BROW » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:32 am

Lovely so ill go with the cruz for first year then upgrade following year to a sturgeon great prices on these yaks I have to say I'm using wet suit and life jacket is there much difference with flotation suits
THE BROW
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 25 times

Postby spindlefist » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:00 pm

THE BROW wrote:Lovely so ill go with the cruz for first year then upgrade following year to a sturgeon great prices on these yaks I have to say I'm using wet suit and life jacket is there much difference with flotation suits

wetsuit is a poor choice for anytime of year other than the warmer months.
If you're going to set out to sea in a kayak, it pays to invest in a few essentials:
Drysuit, pfd, handheld VHF radio at the very least.
2016: dogfish, pollack,

2015: whiting, coalfish, turbot, pollack, ballan wrasse, conger, thornback, short spined sea scorpion , common blenny ,

2014 : dogfish, garfish, launce, common blenny, cuckoo wrasse, flounder, pollack, thornback ray,

2013 species:(15) Whiting, Dogfish, Three Bearded Rockling, bull huss, poor cod,turbot, flounder,pollack, spotted ray, thornback ray, launce, corkwing wrasse, long spined sea scorpion, common blenny,mackerel,

2012 species: Thornback, bull huss, Dogfish, pollack, Mackerel, bass, flounder, turbot, conger,

Species 09:(23) Conger, Whiting, Bass, flounder, Dogfish, dab, corkwing wrasse, pollack, bull huss(8lb 10oz~PB) , thornback ray(8lb~PB), dragonet, ballan wrasse, Blenny, Mackeral,long spined sea scorpion,pouting, coalfish, launce, codling, poor cod, starry smoothhound, 5 bearded rockling, shore rockling..
spindlefist
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 116 times

Postby mickmick » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:42 pm

Was looking at buying a kayak soon myself after some great fun using sit-on-tops abroad. I would have had one by now but for some major car problems. Thanks for the advice above on essential gear lads.
mickmick
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 24 times

Postby chuckaroo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:33 pm

Plenty of activity on the forum of this website: http://www.irishkayakangling.com
Join up if you haven’t done so already. Ask them plenty of questions, really helpful guys
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope

For this message the author chuckaroo has received thanks: 2
denisod (Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:36 pm), mickmick (Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:21 pm)
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby Paddy002 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:07 am

THE BROW wrote:Lovely so ill go with the cruz for first year then upgrade following year to a sturgeon great prices on these yaks I have to say I'm using wet suit and life jacket is there much difference with flotation suits

wetsuit is definitely not a great idea as your prone to overheating in milder weather and the suits are so restrictive on your arms you'll tire much more quickly. I bought a semi dry trousers and top there great for the summer as a wind/sun protector and the winter as you can layer on the thermals beneath!

https://www.bantry-bay-canoes.com/palm-vertigo-jacket/
https://www.bantry-bay-canoes.com/yak-chinook/
2019 Species:
Codling, Whiting

2017 Species:
Mackerel, Dog Fish, Whiting, 3 bearded rockling

2016 Species:
Pouting, Cod, Coalfish, LSD, macks, pollock, dogfish, Bass, Eel, Garfish, Ling, conger, yellow fin tuna, Skipjack Tuna, parrot fish, Trigger fish, Scad, Conger, whiting

2015 species:
Codling, sea bass, mack's, flounder, Dab, three bearded rockling, coalfish, dog fish, bull huss, ballen wrasse, Pollock, European eel, cuckoo wrasse, ling, conger,scorpion fish, cod, pouting, blue shark, whiting

For this message the author Paddy002 has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:47 pm)
Paddy002
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 48 times

Postby Winifred » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:48 am

a lovely article and very interesting information here. Thank you very much for such reading
Winifred
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Derek M » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:42 am

sit on galaxy sturgeon great model all round sea,lake,rivers,drysuit,floatation jacket,neoprene shoes with could soles for walking over rocks etc , rod 2or3 is plenty ,make sure all rods and gear have safety clips attached so they dont end up at bottom of sea fishfinder for gps location depth finding fish locking in good spots, normal compass in case fishfinder battery goes dead or satellite fails due to weather,anchor trolley and anchor,trolley for yak always.safety precautions before you go out on yak practice getting onto your yak ather falling in dont have to go out to far just so your float/swimming feet off the seabed, vhf radio always check weather and tides esp wind direction and if you get to location and its not like the weather report listed its getting bad don't risk it,try go out paddling with two or more if you can, tell at least 2 people were your going and when you dew back,mobile phone in dry bag on person,safety flares,safety strobe ,good sharp knife with serration at least half blades lent for cutting ropes etcs. all the best tight lines
Derek M
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 14 times

Return to Yaks Attack!