RNLI Open Day

Looking to organise an infomal meet?
Got a spare seat available on a boat...

Moderators: corbyeire, jw, saltydog

RNLI Open Day

Postby kieran » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:22 am

Hi all

Didn't know where to post this but felt it might be of interest to people. On an ill judged holiday in Achill a few weeks ago, one of the highlights was an open day run by the Achill RNLI. It included a tour of the centre, a BBQ and of particular interest, a guided tour of the Trent class boat by the Coxswain (who is from Ballinteer!). The boat is an amazing piece of kit, and virtually unsinkable. The guys were exceptionally modest (didn't have the gumption to ask how many medals for bravery the crew holds and embarrass them in public but I know its quite a few) and it was a great experience - the boys are still talking about it. The four point racing harnesses in each air cushioned chair (each adjustable to the occupants weight - oh dear!) really explained in graphic terms what kind of conditions these guys and the local GP go out in...

So if you get a chance to visit your local RNLI station, I'd encourage it as a great experience and its no harm to drop a few quid in their collection box. Here's why - the boat has 1700 HP in two engines and what struck me was the fuel consumption. Its 3000 litres of fuel last only 20 hours at full speed. When you look at the kit on the boat, the boat itself and all its equipment, and listen to what they have to say about what dangerous conditions are and how seemingly innocuous some of it can be, you realise that the cheapest thing on the boat is the actual crew. You can not but leave impressed by it all, so next time you see a collection box, do the right thing...

Maybe we should look to organise a competition / fundraiser - I know we've done it in the past?

Cheers
Kieran Hanrahan

Time spent fishing is never time wasted...

2015 targets - a triggerfish, a specimen bass, a three bearded rockling to complete the set and something big and toothy from certain north Mayo deep water marks

For this message the author kieran has received thanks: 2
Bob (Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:11 am), DarrenNiall (Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:12 am)
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

RNLI Open Day

Postby gfkelly1969 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:31 pm

The lads in the rnli do a great job,I got to see first hand how they work last year when we were rescued by them
Last year I was out fishing on a boat with 3 other lads in mannin bay south of clifden,I won't mention any names because the 3 lads are part of the clifden rnli and are still getting slagged about it
We anchored up in the middle of the bay and when we decided to head in one of the lads tried to start the engine and notting happened they spend a good while trying to get it going
Finally they put in the call for the life boat
What surprised me is how quick they got out to us from the time the 3 pagers went off on the boat,it's a great service to have because you never know when you might need them
Also malin head coast guard did a great job,first they contacted us to see how many were on board and to see if we were all wearing life jackets and then kept in touch with us all the time till we were back on shore
Don't be afraid to call 999 or 112 if you ever need the rnli they are only glad to help out
The rnli depend on fundraising to keep it going and that is why I am helping organise the biggest ray in bay on the 22nd of August
I have to try pay back the petrol money some how lol
lifetime species fishing and rock pool
1 dogfish,2 whiting,3 flounder,4 two spot goby,5 mackerel,6 pollack,7 common blenny,8 European eel,9 butterfish,10 Deep-snouted pipefish,11 rock goby,12 poor cod,13 corkwing wrasse,14 coalfish,15 turbot,16 tompot blenny,17 dab,18 dragonet,19 shorerockling,20 thornback ray,21 three bearded rockling,22 sandeel,23 grey gurnard,24 sea scorpion,25 scad,26 plaice,27 ballen wrasse,28 bullhuss,29 conger eel,30 blue shark,31 blonde ray,32 cod,33 pouting,34 topknot,35 Fifteen-spine Stickleback,36 mullet,37 Sand Goby,38 Montagu's Blenny,39 Three-spined Stickleback,40 goldshinny wrasse,41 painted goby,42 five bearded rockling,43 Sand-Smelt,44 Small-headed Clingfish ,45 sole

http://clifdenfishing.webs.com

http://clifdensearay.webs.com/

For this message the author gfkelly1969 has received thanks:
corbyeire (Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:49 pm)
gfkelly1969
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 223 times

Re: RNLI Open Day

Postby jaywalshe » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:43 am

These guys have my utmost respect. Besides the 'saving peoples lives' part of their vocation there is the darker side that has them recovering suicides,drownings and other fatalaties. I speak from personal experience of this and i was so grateful for the work they done.utter professionals to a man.

Sent from my SM-G318H using Tapatalk
jaywalshe
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Return to Meets, Buddys & Seats