Wobbly handled 7HT Users....

Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!

Moderator: Seaniebo

Wobbly handled 7HT Users....

Postby petekd » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:45 pm

Apologies mods if it treads on anyones toes linking to another site but this is the best explanation I can find short of typing it out myself.

Had issues with a wobbling handle/Pinion gear on an expensive 7HT mag that was making nasty grinding noises retrieving under load. Discovered there is a very simple solution that will fix the problem in no time. Apparently its a common issue through the 7HT range although to be fair, I only noticed it on my 7HT mag. You would think that if companies can afford to manufacture and sell a part like this to amend an inherent problem in a range of reels that Daiwa themselves would address this and put it in in the first place!

Have a read below.

http://www.anglingaddicts.co.uk/forum/d ... 11677.html
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Re: Wobbly handled 7HT Users....

Postby donal domeney » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:26 pm

petekd wrote:making nasty grinding noises retrieving under load.

Penn 525 and 535 have the same problem with the bearing holding the gear pinion. To fix it you have to buy the whole body of the reel.
I tapped out one and took it to Reliance Bearings in Cork in 2/3 days I had 10 new bearings for a few €'s
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Re: Wobbly handled 7HT Users....

Postby paul skelly » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:43 pm

Had the same problem with a 7ht mag fit the new sleeve and sorted. the free spool button gets gammed also witch I found to be fingers on the release mechanism slightly bend stripped reel and bent back to original shape and reel is fine , I know a lot of lads got rid of reels down to the fear of this happening to them but is easily fixed.
Give a man a fire he will be warm for a night,
Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Species from the shore 2011:21
Species from the shore 2012:34,
Species from the shore 2013:40
Species from the shore 2014:36
Species from the shore 2015:35
Species from the shore 2016:30
: whiting,pouting,dab,shore rockling,5xb beard rockling,flounder,dogfish,grunt,white sea bream,banded sea bream,black damselfish,blue damselfish, ornate wrasse,lizard fish,sea trout,red gurnard,bass,tornback ray smoothhound,Corkwing wrasse,poor cod,ballon wrasse,cod,pollock,conger,spotted ray,bullhuss,mackerel ,tub gurnard,place,lesser weever,

Wish list: ray
paul skelly
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 257 times

Return to Tips & Tricks for Sea Anglers