beginner beachcaster

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

beginner beachcaster

Postby fishermom » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:44 pm

hello all,

just wanted to know some thoughts on a beginner beachcaster rod,was looking at a Jarvis walker 2 piece 12ft rod,I know its cheap esp compared to some of the ones you guys all use,but I purchased a semi decent shakespeare agility 70 surf reel a wk or two back with the view to some time in the future trying my hand at fishing from the shore/beach.My neighbour gave me an old shakespeare pro tec 10ft spin rod,and after using it last wkend along with the new reel,the difference in the distance i could cast was unreal,and that was only using a 3 oz weight,managed to catch some mackerel again(its only supposed to cast up to 60g) but it felt like it could take the 3 oz and did without any trouble at all,and that was with bait on also (mackerel and sand eel).So i would really like to try something bigger,with a view to trying to catch some whiting,codlings or maybe a bass,something on those lines.
I rang the local tackle shop to enquire about beachcasters,and the Jarvis walker 4oz-6oz was the first rod he mentioned,have been using the shop for awhile now to buy various fishing tackle,and he knows we are only really starting up with fishing,so I know hes not looking to get the arm in and sell me something thats over expensive,they are only around £30,but i could go up in price to probably double that amount if some one could recommend something thats better than the above mentioned rod.
thanks in advance for any info. :D
2015 mackeral,pollock,cod,wrasse,shanny,poor cod,pouting,plaice,flounder,whiting,Gurnard,coalfish

2016 Pollock,Pouting,Cod,Whiting,Coalie, poor cod, Ballan wrasse,Corkwing wrasse,Sea scorpion,Shanny,Mackerel , Gold sinney Wrasse,3 Bearded Rockling,Gurnard.
Boat 2016 Pollock
fishermom
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 10 times

Re: beginner beachcaster

Postby roryodonnell » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:50 pm

Buy a copy of total sea fishing magazine first
roryodonnell
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 187 times

Postby nicefish » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:51 am

Put a post in the section Fishing tackle for sale/wanted and I'm sure someone will fix you up with a rod that will suit you.
The best things in life aren't things.
nicefish
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 153 times

Postby red » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:51 pm

She wont have access to the buy/sell forum yet.
2nd hand is a good option tho. Have a look on local free ads papers and sites like adverts and done deal. Theres usually loads for sale.
Best thing to do is find a few rods within budget and come back here and ask what their like.
If you gonna be using it with your kid then something rated to 6oz would be the heaviest id go. Depending on where ye fish something upto 3-4oz might be better and a bass rod would be ideal. A heavier carp rod might do the job too but would need to be well rinsed after use in salt water. If ye fish strong currents tho you will need something rated to 6-8oz but it wont be as light or easy to cast.

For this message the author red has received thanks:
nicefish (Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:25 pm)
red
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 222 times

Postby hugo » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:20 am

Jarvis Walker, hmm. For a starter/casual rod I'd be happier with something like this:
http://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/daiwa-d ... -1275.html
Its basic, but Daiwa gear generally doesnt fall apart on you.
hugo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 183 times

Postby paddyjoe8 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:50 am

pm me ive two rods for sale cheap! penn and ian golds
paddyjoe8
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 11 times

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers