sandymount worms

Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!

Moderator: Seaniebo

sandymount worms

Postby beechtrawler » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:35 pm

hi all,

i was digging for lugworm in sandymount the last three days, looking forward to a spot of kerry beach fishing over the b/holiday week, anyways i parked the motor beside the twin towers and off i went with my fork, bucket and glove to the ususal spot i always did for them, in and around the stream there.
What struck me on reaching the worm beds was how few worm casts there were, i have been digging in the same area for a few years and normally there are lots of casts tobe seen with lots of big juicy blow lugworm mostly, with a few black lugworm to be had here.
The worms were none existant in this area so i went beyond the stream towards the sandymount direction,i eventually dug more black lug worm and less blow worms, than i would ususally get digging by the stream however the black lug worm were smaller in general than the worms i get by the stream.
Has any body else noticed the reduced worm numbers in sandymount or would have any theory as to why they seem to be reduced in numbers here.
beechtrawler
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 30 times

Re: sandymount worms

Postby ste c » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:15 pm

personally I dont waste my time no more digging were u dig at the stream its serious hard work and a waste of time imo the lug beds there and rag beds are ruined
ste c
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 323 times

Postby samo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:22 pm

I always find it harder to dig this time of year
Wish list for 2015: sword tail, black Molly, horny cobbler

For this message the author samo has received thanks:
bambam15 (Sat May 30, 2015 2:20 pm)
samo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 92 times

Postby beechtrawler » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:39 pm

Well whatever the reasons it is going to be seriously hard work to get any lug at the stream area, so further into the sandymount area I will have to go looking in future
beechtrawler
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 30 times

Return to Tips & Tricks for Sea Anglers