Price comparison

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

Price comparison

Postby beechtrawler » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:24 am

I was in Dublin City centre yesterday comparing prices for two penn rampage 13ft fs rod and two penn surblaster 8,000's, both angling shops I checked out offered me the lot for 450e, that's with a10-15% reduction.
If you compare the same purchase with veals it comes to 452e that's allowing for 5% membership reduction, includes exchange rate at 1.27%, if you purchase the same gear from Alderney it comes to 395e after including the exchange rate. Alderney are really only cheaper than veals due to their no vat status which knocks 20% of the bill which veals can't match, Also Alderney said they would waive the 35pound sterling shipping costs.
All in all not that much difference really if you can buy in bulk and get a reduction from the irish based tackle shops compared to the uk based shops.

Anyways after looking at the various rods on offer again I am thinking of swapping the rampage with possible the anyfish anywhere 13 or 14ft 6&bait fs, it gets good reviews and seems to be good value for money.
I already have two Ian golds international fs rods and I want to add to my collection, the new rod would be used for cod in waterford/cork and surf fishing in kerry/wexford, be able to handle all incliement weather conditions, have good bite detection, handle a line full of weed and a poor attempt at pendulum casting 4-5oz grippers mostly, which of the aboved mentioned rods would you guys suggest I purchase or would you recommend other options,

Regards
Beechtrawler.
beechtrawler
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 30 times

Re: Price comparison

Postby john86 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:36 pm

If i had 2 ian golds international match rods i wouldnt be spending big money on 2 penns or 6 and baits the ian golds will do a better job than either rod at most things.

The international match rods will prob handle 90% of fishing conditions you are likely to encounter in the areas you mentioned.You would be prob be better of spending your cash on something a bit lighter especially for fishing wexford/kerry beaches.Just my opinion i had an international match for a few years and found it a bit over gunned for most of my fishing .Just my opinion though, if you are using fs reels maybe try a nice continential rod
john86
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 37 times

Postby knightser » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:07 pm

john86 wrote:If i had 2 ian golds international match rods i wouldnt be spending big money on 2 penns or 6 and baits the ian golds will do a better job than either rod at most things.

The international match rods will prob handle 90% of fishing conditions you are likely to encounter in the areas you mentioned.You would be prob be better of spending your cash on something a bit lighter especially for fishing wexford/kerry beaches.Just my opinion i had an international match for a few years and found it a bit over gunned for most of my fishing .Just my opinion though, if you are using fs reels maybe try a nice continential rod

second that :)
knightser
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 99 times

Postby bigsod » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:12 pm

knightser wrote:
john86 wrote:If i had 2 ian golds international match rods i wouldnt be spending big money on 2 penns or 6 and baits the ian golds will do a better job than either rod at most things.

second that :)

Third that :)
Fire in the belly, ice in the veins
bigsod
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 179 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby beechtrawler » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:52 pm

Thanks boys for the replies, I was intending to leave the two Ian golds in Kerry as I go down there once a month or there abouts and getting two more rods to fish in the wexford area, I am based in Dublin.
I have been looking at the shakespeare agility fs and daiwa theory and am wondering if they would be more suited to clean beach surf conditions than the penn or afar rods, what do ye think..
beechtrawler
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 30 times

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers