good quality gear

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

good quality gear

Postby mickser » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:54 pm

Hi everybody I have just taken a delivery from this company and I am very with the quality price and delivery all excellent ==http://www.sportsdirect.com/fishing/sea-fishing/lures
I have not fished in two years hoping to change that this year with anything ?
mickser
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 175 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: good quality gear

Postby ste c » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:52 pm

Alderney angling take a look there no other tackle shop will touch there prices
ste c
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 323 times

Postby Johndory16 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:47 pm

if you talk to some of the tackle shops they will do a price match rather than loss the sale.
Johndory16
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby ste c » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:45 pm

Johndory16 wrote:if you talk to some of the tackle shops they will do a price match rather than loss the sale.

can you name a tackle shop that can match the prices i can get from some places online i will gladly give them my business
ste c
SAI Megalodon!

Postby red » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:55 pm

I shopped round a few years back when buying my ultegra. By time i converted it into €€ and added postage i was saving very little.
I bought it in my local tackle shop and when i asked what his best price was i got a few bob off and ended up saving money over the uk sites.
red
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 222 times

Postby Johndory16 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:16 pm

I know a few tackle shops who are prepared to do a price match .in fact I have just bought a reel from one and when I showed him the price the other shop in England was selling it at he matched it and threw in a spool of line.
Johndory16
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby ste c » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:57 pm

Johndory16 wrote:I know a few tackle shops who are prepared to do a price match .in fact I have just bought a reel from one and when I showed him the price the other shop in England was selling it at he matched it and threw in a spool of line.

what tackle shops are they? I find my gear on line and save a serious amount even after postage upto 100 cheaper an more on a few occasions the prices is most tackle shops now days is rediculous
ste c
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Steve » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:09 pm

Ste,

I generally buy all my gear from my local shop. Because of this I know them well and I don't remember the last time I paid full price for anything. I find their pricing more than fair. They really look after me in fact.

The problem with buying online is that if everyone did it, my local tackle shop wouldn't exist, it would be out of business. So if I wanted to buy something for the following days fishing, when I was too lazy to dig some bait, when I wanted advice - where would I go?

For this message the author Steve has received thanks:
pajo (Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:37 am)
Steve
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 116 times

Postby nicefish » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:21 am

Johndory16 wrote:if you talk to some of the tackle shops they will do a price match rather than loss the sale.

It all depends on what your looking for. I use three local tackle shops two of them for my Bass gear. I went to one of them where me and my mates get our gear from, I told him that I can get a Shimano Rarenium 4000FA for €167 delivered, the best he could do was €200 which was €19 cheaper that my other local tackle shop.
The best things in life aren't things.
nicefish
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 153 times

Postby ste c » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:32 pm

Steve wrote:Ste,

I generally buy all my gear from my local shop. Because of this I know them well and I don't remember the last time I paid full price for anything. I find their pricing more than fair. They really look after me in fact.

The problem with buying online is that if everyone did it, my local tackle shop wouldn't exist, it would be out of business. So if I wanted to buy something for the following days fishing, when I was too lazy to dig some bait, when I wanted advice - where would I go?

I wasnt been smart in saying that I was just wondering is all as would save me on ordering online i use 2 tackle shops and to be fair there grand and sometimes let something off the price but i certainly wouldnt call it been looked after and im in and out of them years, me an most of my mates now nearly all our gear is got online its a no brainer iv all high end stuff and its expensive as is so if i can save 50 or 100 on it then i will

For this message the author ste c has received thanks:
Dave78 (Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:27 am)
ste c
SAI Megalodon!

Postby ste c » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:33 pm

nicefish wrote:
Johndory16 wrote:if you talk to some of theil tackle shops they will do a price match rather than loss the sale.

It all depends on what your looking for. I use three local tackle shops two of them for my Bass gear. I went to one of them where me and my mates get our gear from, I told him that I can get a Shimano Rarenium 4000FA for €167 delivered, the best he could do was €200 which was €19 cheaper that my other local tackle shop.

shimano sustain 4000 in tackle shops dublin€380 or there abouts il be getting it for €276 online so prime example but the list goes on comparing prices
ste c
SAI Megalodon!

Postby nicefish » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:19 pm

ste c wrote:
nicefish wrote:
Johndory16 wrote:if you talk to some of theil tackle shops they will do a price match rather than loss the sale.

shimano sustain 4000 in tackle shops dublin€380 or there abouts il be getting it for €276 online so prime example but the list goes on comparing prices

€253 delivered http://www.bassstoreitaly.com/mulinelli ... 55714.html
nicefish
SAI Megalodon!

Postby ste c » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:41 pm

thanks for that site mate il be ordering off that have you ever got anything off it?
ste c
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:57 am

Sustain 4000 is 320 in henrys. With a few quid knocked off you might get it for 290/300. I'd rather pay a few bucks more there and support an Irish business than buy it from Italy. With the added bonus of knowing that if something goes wrong with it, I'll be looked after. I've had some mares dealing with online companies over the years, albeit some are absolutely fantastic.

Wasn't having a dig at you Ste, apologies if it came across that way. I can also understand everyone wanting to pay less for stuff, everyone is feeling the pinch these days. I just think that it's important that I support my local shops, whether that's food, drink, fishing tackle etc....and it doesn't have to mean that I pay well over the odds. If something is clearly overpriced, then I'll get it elsewhere. My experience of henrys however is that they are always willing to cut a fair price.
Steve
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Tanglerat » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:44 am

Who on earth pays full whack asking price in any tackle shop anywhere, brick or click? They're one of the last bastions of the fine old ancient art of haggling left in Western Civilisation. Them and used car sales pitches.
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby nicefish » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:23 am

ste c wrote:thanks for that site mate il be ordering off that have you ever got anything off it?

Not yet.
nicefish
SAI Megalodon!

Postby nicefish » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:35 am

Steve wrote:Sustain 4000 is 320 in henrys. With a few quid knocked off you might get it for 290/300. I'd rather pay a few bucks more there and support an Irish business than buy it from Italy. With the added bonus of knowing that if something goes wrong with it, I'll be looked after. I've had some mares dealing with online companies over the years, albeit some are absolutely fantastic.

Wasn't having a dig at you Ste, apologies if it came across that way. I can also understand everyone wanting to pay less for stuff, everyone is feeling the pinch these days. I just think that it's important that I support my local shops, whether that's food, drink, fishing tackle etc....and it doesn't have to mean that I pay well over the odds. If something is clearly overpriced, then I'll get it elsewhere. My experience of henrys however is that they are always willing to cut a fair price.

I agree you Steve, I have supported my local tackle shops and have got others to use them too, and nothing will change there. I cant speak for anyone else on here but if i can save €50 euro on a reel i will take it as I'm unemployed I'm not in a position to put my local dealer over my pocket.
nicefish
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:09 pm

€50 is €50 Anto, not to be sniffed at!

Some serious gear on that site by the way....!

For this message the author Steve has received thanks:
nicefish (Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:46 pm)
Steve
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby kstaff » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:36 am

I have the finest gear available, all shiny and clean I've never paid full price for any of it from any of the Irish tackle shops I've bought it from. I sometimes move it on and make a loss. No hassle, sometimes I do ok, sometimes not, however,

I can go to these shops on a Saturday morning ( often with my young kids) get a warm welcome, a cup of coffee, spend an hour and often far more talking to guys with tons of knowledge, advice, latest local reports of fish, get fresh bait and I'm lucky enough to of made some good friends while in there too, I can play with new gear get new stuff to take home and try and not always buying anything, but I go back, and as often as I can. I love being in there!!

There's not a website anywhere that can give you the above, remember all these online shops have a huge market to sell in to, Italy UK France Germany, huge scope to shift high volumes ( buy more pay less) so ur local shop isn't going to retire on the 50 eur he makes on the 200 eur rod / reel you buy once every few years.

Shop local, support your Irish tackle dealer he's there for you , value is not just an extra few quid in ur pocket, it's what you get from ur fishing, the dealer gives you far more than a website!!!!
Blue n White is the new Black!!!

For this message the author kstaff has received thanks: 13
beachbuddy (Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:07 am), Deise boy (Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:30 am), eeler (Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:02 pm), fishfinder (Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:17 pm), gd (Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:21 am), junior conger (Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:00 am), Kgarr (Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:10 pm), MAC (Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:25 am), nige (Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:46 am), pajo (Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:42 am), red (Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:24 pm), roryodonnell (Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:12 pm), Steve (Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:00 am)
kstaff
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 308 times

Postby red » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:35 pm

A lot of high end rods are now cheaper in Ireland than most other places, especially the continental style rods. I recently bought a rod here for €350, cheapest uk price was £389 before postage.
I used to shop online but dont do it much anymore cos there isnt enough savings to make it worth while.
Ive gotten crab in winter off a local shop when ive know their not plentyfull. Lads who buy the odd bit of bait elastic from him when their stuck probably wont get them crab.

One thing about Alderny Angling is they dont charge VAT so their prices are low. If customs spot the package they will open it and youll end up paying it anyway. Some boxes get thru, others dont. Add the VAT onto their prices, then p&p and then see if its worth the risk of getting it thru customs or not.
red
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 222 times

Next

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers