Mullet flies - Cork Harbour

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Re: Mullet flies - Cork Harbour

Postby lucky13 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:29 am

savage!
i dont know why but i have been avoiding tying a bread fly this year...for some reason i think i would be happier catching on an imitation of some creature...which shrimp pattern did you use salar lad?,if u dont mind me asking that is...
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 184 times

Postby salar » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:20 pm

lucky13 wrote:which shrimp pattern did you use

http://www.glenpointon.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... tying.html

For this message the author salar has received thanks:
lucky13 (Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:40 pm)
salar
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 72 times

Postby lucky13 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:43 pm

salar wrote:
lucky13 wrote:which shrimp pattern did you use

http://www.glenpointon.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... tying.html

maith an fearr.many thanks for sharing dude :wink:
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby lucky13 » Fri May 02, 2014 12:23 pm

headed down to the estuary again yesterday with more patience 3 float rods and a fly rod,had a good look around at low water to see what the hell they were feeding on...i found some small harbour rag about 5 peelers (2 euro size) and bucket loads of corophium volutators to my surprise looked nothing like the imitation coro's i had been tying,none where brown and white except for the very very small ones,the majority of the biggest id found were black next size down were dark sea weed green colour and the size below that were a pissy transparent yellow...only the smallest were brown and white.
i put down an onion sack with bread and stones and tied it off and cast a float with bread right over it...they had no interest in bread whatsoever.which made me happy for some reason.i think its because i want my fly to look like something living and not just floating mush..seems more decieving to me.i cast the second loaded with a harbour rag and the last one with a real coro' v. on the business end and whipped away with my coro' v. fly...a brown an white pattern...practically gave it to em on a plate...it was like trying to sell sand to an arab :) then the rod with the real coro' went a bit bendy and i ran over and wound in this worthy little adversary all 7 inches of him...he took a large black tough corophium volutator on a size 20 hook...happy i was even tho he was only little,still my first mullet...quick pic and off he went like a greased bullet...i changed all bait to coro's on 20's and got 2 ferocious bites that didnt materialise...i needed bigger hooks and bigger coro's...black ones...the kettle is on the boil about to sit at the vice to try and work out how to make a carbon copy fly of these large black coro's... :P
Attachments
1st mullet ever.jpg

For this message the author lucky13 has received thanks: 2
hurler01 (Fri May 02, 2014 8:55 pm), Sweetwrasse (Fri May 02, 2014 2:11 pm)
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby chuckaroo » Fri May 02, 2014 5:14 pm

brilliant stuff lucky, great wee report. you are gettin well into it then.. apparently its addictive... :lol:
have you any pics of these real corophium volutators (with scale)?
im not a shrimp expert but maybe i could try to imitate one of these guys myself
congrats on your first mullet, here's hopin for a bigger one! .. :mrgreen:
cheers
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope

For this message the author chuckaroo has received thanks:
lucky13 (Fri May 02, 2014 8:15 pm)
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby lucky13 » Fri May 02, 2014 8:46 pm

chuckaroo wrote:brilliant stuff lucky, great wee report. you are gettin well into it then.. apparently its addictive... :lol:
have you any pics of these real corophium volutators (with scale)?
im not a shrimp expert but maybe i could try to imitate one of these guys myself
congrats on your first mullet, here's hopin for a bigger one! .. :mrgreen:
cheers

thanks lad,
but i am only succeeding i think because of help from a few lads on here like yourself,salar and christy and a few others 8) thanks lads...
i dont have any pics of the coro's only a mental one.salar posted a savage link there that are pretty close to the large black C.V's but unfortunetly i dont have access to professional fly tying gear yet such as aqua silicone or even epoxy or even a feckin bobbin,i made one from a disposable tattoo machine grip :wink:,i'll spend a few bob when im in deep :D so pretty much all my flies are from stuff i find around the house sewing thread superglue clear nail varnish co-ax cable u name it :) ...the only thing i ve bought is dyed hackle and pearl mylar and another type of shiny mylar so my tying isnt expert on any level but i can mimmick 'em fairly well... :)
as memory serves me lad u were giving me advice about this time last year on fly gear,so ill sort it for ya...ill find all the variations i can find of them large small medium i find the size destinguishes the colour,ill get out the canon,snap em with a scale and post em up here...for some reason the larger lads aint so fond of them they swim right by the floats...which is a savage way to find what fly to tie wherever u are.was there for an hour tonight but i missed the window,so i sat real close to the shore,real still,ha ha an 'ol lad once told me when fishing for mullet be as quiet and still as anne frank in a cupboard! mad 'ol lad bout 70..it stood to me tho.i saw these larger type shrimp about an inch and a half long,white transparent fellows...i reckon maybe thats what the 6/7 pounders that swim past the floats are eating...who knows.
the ground im fishing tho is mud flat estuary with large lagoons that fill and empty quickly,gravel beach giving way to mud....will be heading down tomorro for more reccy and float fishing...need to tie the perfect fly!!
complete madness setting in.
:D

chuckaroo (Sat May 03, 2014 1:02 am), hurler01 (Fri May 02, 2014 8:57 pm)
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby hurler01 » Fri May 02, 2014 9:02 pm

I''ve no idea but would a red tagged diawl bach be a useful imitation? Just curious myself, a fella in Galway I was talkin to said he had loads on something he described as this red tagged diawl Bach. :?:
hurler01
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 34 times

Postby lucky13 » Fri May 02, 2014 9:18 pm

hurler01 wrote:I''ve no idea but would a red tagged diawl bach be a useful imitation? Just curious myself, a fella in Galway I was talkin to said he had loads on something he described as this red tagged diawl Bach. :?:

i have looked into those to myself,i think it was salar that posted the link back along this thread,maybe chuckaroo i dunno..read it tho good read.i have tied and tried them but not as often as the other flies that imitate their bait source in my area...i have seen a few vids on utube lads catching them off barges in canals across the pond with spinners with the red tag diawl bach charactaristics...after my sessions in the estuary its really on the dead drift your gonna catch em,where as the red tag diawl bach needs a bit of animation thru your line,im know expert only a beginner but the last 3 nights i have seen them hop off,and i mean bounce off lumps of surface seaweed with heads and lashing tails,i presume to stir the c.v's lurking in the weed...amazing to see..but plonk me in a different environment and i would have to start with the floats again to see what they wanna eat...having said that i still only know what the little guys wanna eat,but the other 2 takes i know myself were heavy fish...what kind of ground are u mullet fishing for hurler01? out of curiosity man... :)
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby hurler01 » Sat May 03, 2014 12:44 pm

I haven't tried for mullett yet but have been reading into it, I wouldn't mind trying for them later.
hurler01
SAI Bait Ball

Postby lucky13 » Sat May 03, 2014 1:13 pm

hurler01 wrote:I haven't tried for mullett yet but have been reading into it, I wouldn't mind trying for them later.

aw lad theres a savage sense of accomplishment,i literally cant wait to get one on fly... :)
i know he was tiny but theres big lads there too...

For this message the author lucky13 has received thanks:
hurler01 (Sat May 03, 2014 6:25 pm)
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby lucky13 » Sat May 03, 2014 1:18 pm

these are the type shrimp i saw yesterday...i think...either one or the other...will try and catch some of them today too...doing as much research as i can before L.W at 15.08...
i think these are what the larger lads are scoffing...not sure tho yet... :roll:
Attachments
Palaemonetes_varians.jpg
Palaemonetes_varians.jpg (26.12 KiB) Viewed 2555 times
atlantic ditch shrimp.JPG
atlantic ditch shrimp.JPG (5.17 KiB) Viewed 2555 times

chuckaroo (Sun May 04, 2014 12:57 am), hurler01 (Sat May 03, 2014 6:25 pm)
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby salar » Sat May 03, 2014 10:09 pm

Where feeding mullet are concered fly patterns should be aimesd at idotea or crophium volutator or a seaweed maggot representation.

Apart from the breadfly, this one works in Cork Harbour..

Hares ear dubbed body
Couple of strands of mono as antenna
And B&Q bathroom silicone as a body

Keep it simple........

When I salmon fly fished, the classic fly patterns like Jock Scott or Green Highlander had anything up to thirty different components to arrange before you could start tying a fly. In the 1950's and a1960's before EBAY etc this was a fly tying effing nitgtmare.

My most efficient salmon fly pattern was one I came up with myself. Not necesarily any better than any other pattern but one that had only five easily acquired components and which I fished with enough confidence to land hundreds of salmon.

Kevin

For this message the author salar has received thanks: 3
chuckaroo (Mon May 05, 2014 11:15 am), hurler01 (Sat May 03, 2014 10:32 pm), lucky13 (Mon May 05, 2014 1:28 pm)
salar
SAI Bait Ball

Postby hurler01 » Sun May 04, 2014 4:24 pm

For this message the author hurler01 has received thanks:
lucky13 (Sun May 04, 2014 4:39 pm)
hurler01
SAI Bait Ball

Postby lucky13 » Sun May 04, 2014 4:30 pm

chuckaroo wrote: have you any pics of these real corophium volutators (with scale)?

these are them lad...hard enough to photo thru a magnifying glass :)
for some reason the yellow one looks very dark but trust me if twas in ur hand...its a pissy yellow colour...had no luck yesterday trying to catch the ditch shrimp...no mullet either..the weather was kinda crappy for it tho...must crack on with tying a few of these :)
Attachments
hmmm....jpg
24mm black.jpg
18mm yellow.jpg
18mm yellow.jpg (48.2 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
18mm green.jpg
18mm green.jpg (48.33 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
13mm dark red-brown.jpg

chuckaroo (Mon May 05, 2014 11:16 am), hurler01 (Sun May 04, 2014 6:19 pm)
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby lucky13 » Sun May 04, 2014 4:41 pm

hurler01 wrote:http://www.ukswff.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5149

good read lad...maybe i will give the daiwl bach another bash...have lost interest too somewhat in the flexi shrimp...why lad? i couldnt tell ya.. :roll:
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby hurler01 » Sun May 04, 2014 6:23 pm

I''ve already tied up some diawl Bach imitations and shrimps similarities to Salar's. I''ll get pics of them up. What weight of a road are u usin? I was thinking of getting a cheap 5 wt or maybe 6 wt sometime. I''ve a good 8 wt.
hurler01
SAI Bait Ball

Postby salar » Mon May 05, 2014 9:57 am

hurler01 wrote: I was thinking of getting a cheap 5 wt or maybe 6 wt sometime. I''ve a good 8 wt.

If it is for a lighter presentation of fly, a loop to loop join of length light fly line (similar to a poly-leader) on the front of your main head will do much the same thing as fishing with a lower number rod. Provided you have enough line out to load the rod - presentation is pretty good. However you may need to remove it if you are tring to cast INTO a stiff breeze. If you are fishing at short distances (as well as long) a short heavy shooting head fitted with a light tip works fine at loading the rod and presenting a small fly with both overhand and underhand casting.

What I have noticed so far is that mullet spook immediately if you line them because they are at the surface but if you avoid lining them and move around carefully and quietly their spookiness is somewhat overstated. A clumsily landing fly to one side or slightly short of the target does not necessarily scare them.

For this message the author salar has received thanks: 2
hurler01 (Mon May 05, 2014 10:39 pm), lucky13 (Mon May 05, 2014 4:24 pm)
salar
SAI Bait Ball

Postby chuckaroo » Mon May 05, 2014 11:30 am

lucky13 wrote:
chuckaroo wrote: have you any pics of these real corophium volutators (with scale)?

for some reason the yellow one looks very dark but trust me if twas in ur hand...its a pissy yellow colour...had no luck yesterday trying to catch the ditch shrimp...no mullet either..the weather was kinda crappy for it tho...must crack on with tying a few of these :)

cool, great pics, thanks for taking the time there lucky
hey i reckon the fly there tyed by salar (using the bathroom silicon) is all you need, just tailor the colour of the dubbing to whichever you prefer. very straightforward fly to tye
would love to see it working
8)
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby lucky13 » Mon May 05, 2014 1:30 pm

chuckaroo wrote:
lucky13 wrote:

cool, great pics, thanks for taking the time there lucky
hey i reckon the fly there tyed by salar (using the bathroom silicon) is all you need, just tailor the colour of the dubbing to whichever you prefer. very straightforward fly to tye
would love to see it working
8)

i tell ya lad its a savage looking fly salars one...i was just gone into soft focus looking at it half dreaming :D
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby lucky13 » Mon May 05, 2014 1:40 pm

salar wrote:Where feeding mullet are concered fly patterns should be aimesd at idotea or crophium volutator or a seaweed maggot representation.

Apart from the breadfly, this one works in Cork Harbour..

Hares ear dubbed body
Couple of strands of mono as antenna
And B&Q bathroom silicone as a body

Keep it simple........

When I salmon fly fished, the classic fly patterns like Jock Scott or Green Highlander had anything up to thirty different components to arrange before you could start tying a fly. In the 1950's and a1960's before EBAY etc this was a fly tying effing nitgtmare.

My most efficient salmon fly pattern was one I came up with myself. Not necesarily any better than any other pattern but one that had only five easily acquired components and which I fished with enough confidence to land hundreds of salmon.

Kevin

that b&q silicone fly looks the job lad...the mono antenni too looks the business i was thinkn of using very light mono for the legs and putting some folds and creases in them,heads swimming there now..black and brown silicone might be worth thinking about too,but the shine from the clear looks the dogs boll*cks...excellent looking fly kevin,if i ever go for the salmon,ill be coming back to this thread to look at that other fine creation.. 8)
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

PreviousNext

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing