2014 advice needed on for Beachcaster rod

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:55 pm

ok i have checked the search function and the only advise i can find on beachcaster rods goes back to 2009/2010 and i am sure there has to have some advancement in rods since then, or maybe not!
any advice most appreciated..
I am wanting to buy a new beach rod that will essentially do it all, i know that is a tough ask but i will give a general spec and see where that takes me:
1. Casting 3-8oz leads with bait
2. Power casting required at times but not always
3. Good/Great bite detection over a range of distances
4. Ground is mixed ground but as i said above i am looking for 1 rod to rule them all!
5. I am fishing for whatever the Irish coast has to offer
6. Any advice on rings / length / reel seat / etc most welcome
7. I am willing to pay for the rod that will do it all
8. I am using a multiplier reel

i know this is not an easy rod to identify but what is your favourite all rounder for 2013/2014?

thanks guys

Re: 2014 advice needed on for Beachcaster rod

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:52 pm

afaw tourament match rod u wont beat dem

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:30 pm

dawia seahunter i use 14ft great all round rod :)

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:49 pm

Another for the afaw tournament match best alround beach rod out there and not too expensive as top end surf rods go there about three thirty in the shops .... A cheaper option is the Daiwa supercast stb is a great rod for the money as well will do almost anything except heavy ground there are other options second hand look out for names like Daiwa,century,zziplex and conoflex

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:16 pm

Daiwa Supercast

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:32 pm

sea serpant wrote:Another for the afaw tournament match best alround beach rod out there and not too expensive as top end surf rods go there about three thirty in the shops .... A cheaper option is the Daiwa supercast stb is a great rod for the money as well will do almost anything except heavy ground there are other options second hand look out for names like Daiwa,century,zziplex and conoflex

afaw tourny match are £380 where has them for 330 mate

iv a century cccld there mint condition in the for sale adds if any interest

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:53 pm

ste c wrote:
sea serpant wrote:Another for the afaw tournament match best alround beach rod out there and not too expensive as top end surf rods go there about three thirty in the shops .... A cheaper option is the Daiwa supercast stb is a great rod for the money as well will do almost anything except heavy ground there are other options second hand look out for names like Daiwa,century,zziplex and conoflex

afaw tourny match are £380 where has them for 330 mate

iv a century cccld there mint condition in the for sale adds if any interest[/quot

i thought they were around the three thirty mark i got mine in henrys for around that in after checkin his website he has them up for 359.99

Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:49 am

thanks for the replies lads keep them coming....

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:10 pm

Greys Triplex will fill pretty much all your requirements -

It won't throw 8oz though - but 7oz with small baits is fine.

Also Bite detection is good (not brilliant), but if you need something to throw very heavy leads - they rarely are brilliant

Won't completely break the bank either!

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:45 pm

Plenty of rods will do what you want but probably not brilliantly. The better rods for 3oz wont be great at 7/8oz and the heavier rods wont be brilliant with light leads.
For me there isnt much fun using a 4-8oz beachcaster when fishing clean beaches for flounder and small round fish.
I know you wanted one rod but if it were me id buy 2, one for light fishing and another for the heavier stuff. The lighter rod can be as cheap as you want. Carp rods will do the job and can be gotten for €30/40 new, leaving you plenty to spend on a decent beach caster.
At least that way you can fish both together and scratch around in close but still have the option to go bigger and heavier at distance.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:58 pm

zziplex bullet gt you wont regret it

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:52 pm

tried the zzippy m4 evo gt
all i can say is ive ordered one now

Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:46 pm

Zipplex primo match has great bite detection and powerful enough to fish over mixed ground

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:51 pm

all these people who are recommending one rod undoubtedly have more than ten rods each in their shed , just buy loads of rods like the rest of us !! :mrgreen:

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:09 am

Zziplex M4 GT ticks all your boxes :)

Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:16 pm

Zziplex Primo Synchro, a great all round rod, but if its too expensive try the Daiwa Supercast RGM

Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:00 pm

I am in the market for a new rod too but what's the difference between all those Zippies?
Have a Century and that ticks all the boxes Rocky is looking for but I'd say there are a few better rods knocking about since I bought this rod 5 or 6 years ago. The AFEW is getting praised all around but somehow I have my mind set on a Zziplex but it's hard to figure out what's what. Do want something shorter and lighter than the Century.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:19 am

Marco wrote:I am in the market for a new rod too but what's the difference between all those Zippies?
Have a Century and that ticks all the boxes Rocky is looking for but I'd say there are a few better rods knocking about since I bought this rod 5 or 6 years ago. The AFEW is getting praised all around but somehow I have my mind set on a Zziplex but it's hard to figure out what's what. Do want something shorter and lighter than the Century.

dont really know what it is i am looking for to be honest. I am new to fishing so i am looking for all the help i can get.
I dont want to be continually upgrading till i get the rod/reels that i should have bought straight away....

thanks again for the help people

Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:10 am

Anyone who want to have a try of most zziplex models can do this at a sportscast Ireland event. Just let us know your coming up and between us you will have a good selection of rods to try out :)

Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:52 pm

RockySXC wrote:
Marco wrote:I am in the market for a new rod too but what's the difference between all those Zippies?

dont really know what it is i am looking for to be honest. I am new to fishing so i am looking for all the help i can get.
I dont want to be continually upgrading till i get the rod/reels that i should have bought straight away....

thanks again for the help people

If your new to sea fishing there would be no point buying a high end rod you just wont get the best out of it.