chancing me arm...

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

chancing me arm...

Postby lucky13 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:28 pm

ive got the bug.hooked.after a couple of short sessions with a 5/6 reel i had all along and an 8ft 6wt rod a buddie lent me,freshwater gear like and ive been looking at rods and reels for the heavier fish like bass up to 6 or 8 lbs in weight.would i be right in thinkin a 9ft 9wt rod with a 10wt reel,wf9 lines with a 16lbs fluoro tippet? for the boat and for shore.any advice on the rights and wrongs on the road im on?
also what backing would be recommended for this getup?
any help greatly apprciated. :)
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 184 times

Re: chancing me arm...

Postby hurler01 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:24 pm

I would fish for pollock on the fly but reading bits and pieces an 8 wt might be fine for bass along with. 7/8 reel. 20 lb braid backing should be fine and the airflow sniper lines are very good so I'm told, you might be looking at an intermediate and floating line. A 9 or 10 wt might be more for pollock and pike. I've had a 10 wt smashed by a pollock! A 15 lb fluoro leader should be fine.

For this message the author hurler01 has received thanks:
lucky13 (Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:39 pm)
hurler01
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 34 times

Postby gd » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:43 pm

Standard tackle would be a 8 or 9 wt rod about 9 feet in length with matching sized reel. Have you seen the range of rods from Echo?

Lines weight forward floating and intermediate. Mill ends or seconds in some cases are fine for pollack in rough ground.

20lb backing should be fine. I tend to put as much as possible on to build up the spool for ease of use.

Tapered leaders you can buy or make yourself.

You will need a stripping basket, Again you can buy one or make one yourself. A wading staff is a good tool to have when swff too.

For this message the author gd has received thanks:
lucky13 (Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:43 pm)
gd
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 43 times

Postby lucky13 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:01 pm

hurler01 wrote:I would fish for pollock on the fly but reading bits and pieces an 8 wt might be fine for Bass along with. 7/8 reel. 20 lb braid backing should be fine and the airflow sniper lines are very good so I'm told, you might be looking at an intermediate and floating line. A 9 or 10 wt might be more for pollock and pike. I've had a 10 wt smashed by a pollock! A 15 lb fluoro leader should be fine.

cool cool,thanks for the reply lad,an 8wt you reckon with a 7/8 reel,cool lad,but would she be able for pollock and bass,i mean like the bass that would be knocking around my aul haunt really bend the shite out of my 12 ft beachcaster and they go mad when hooked,like feckin acrobats..i kinda rather have the beef than worry bout it playing a fish,i have never caught anything on this sorta gear...what part of the 10wt did you have smashed by a pollock? was it rod or reel or line,sorry lad i just havent a clue about this corner of fishing...20lb braid backing and 15lb fluoro leader sounds the job.. 8)
must google about the lines you mentioned too...
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby lucky13 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:16 pm

gd wrote:Standard tackle would be a 8 or 9 wt rod about 9 feet in length with matching sized reel. Have you seen the range of rods from Echo?

Lines weight forward floating and intermediate. Mill ends or seconds in some cases are fine for pollack in rough ground.

20lb backing should be fine. I tend to put as much as possible on to build up the spool for ease of use.

Tapered leaders you can buy or make yourself.

You will need a stripping basket, Again you can buy one or make one yourself. A wading staff is a good tool to have when swff too.

cheers for the reply lad,so its defiantly a 9ft...8 or 9 wt,keep the reel size the same so..was looking at stuff all evening yesterday,mostly american sites and came up with the thought of using a 9wt 9ft rod,with a 10wt reel large arbour style,with wf9 lines,budget jobbies of course until i get a real taste for it..am i seriously over-gunning it?
i'll have a look at the echo rods there now,mill ends and seconds too cause i havent a clue what they are :oops:
will look into the tapered leaders too,i'm all for the diy crack.was using a vice grips and g-clamp together for tyin,bought me a vice the other day :D am still using a thread winder thing i made meself too..
wading stick and stripping basket.nice.thanks man.
the few times i used the fly gear i used the same leader knot i use for everything,is there a few knots i definalty need to know?
cheers for the info. :D
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby hurler01 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:26 pm

You can't go any lighter than a 9 wt for pollock. I haven't fished for bass so I've no direct experience, only what I've picked up by reading stuff online. The probass fisher website has loads of good info. The rod was a bloke rod, completely my fault though as I was feckin daydreaming when the pollock struck the fly. It's crashed towards the reef but I couldn't stop it, should have been on the ball, was on the kayak st the time. As I'm fishing from the kayak from deeper water I use at Rio t11 line that sinks very quickly, tides and currents come into play big time for me that's why I use the quick sinking line as I usually fish on the drift around reefs. The reel for saltwater use is a Scierra c-lite 7/9, it's a nice reel for the money, just rince it in water after use to help stop it from corroding. Check out the Shakespeare Atlantis too, it might be a handy enough rod. I got a stripping basket from Jim Hendricks but I forget the name of it, it's a good investment. If you want to try for pollock the fluoro shouldn't be less than 20lbs. I lost a good pollock on 15lb fluoro, again it crashed dived and the leader snapped in 2.

lucky13 (Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:08 am)
hurler01
SAI Bait Ball

Postby seafisher » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:34 pm

Message surethingsfly on YouTube hes the king of swff he won't put you wrong.

For this message the author seafisher has received thanks:
lucky13 (Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:08 am)
seafisher
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby lucky13 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:08 am

fair play to ye lads,thanks for all the info
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby lucky13 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:27 am

hurler01 wrote:You can't go any lighter than a 9 wt for pollock. I haven't fished for Bass so I've no direct experience, only what I've picked up by reading stuff online. The probass fisher website has loads of good info. The rod was a bloke rod, completely my fault though as I was feckin daydreaming when the pollock struck the fly. It's crashed towards the reef but I couldn't stop it, should have been on the ball, was on the kayak st the time. As I'm fishing from the kayak from deeper water I use at Rio t11 line that sinks very quickly, tides and currents come into play big time for me that's why I use the quick sinking line as I usually fish on the drift around reefs. The reel for saltwater use is a Scierra c-lite 7/9, it's a nice reel for the money, just rince it in water after use to help stop it from corroding. Check out the Shakespeare Atlantis too, it might be a handy enough rod. I got a stripping basket from Jim Hendricks but I forget the name of it, it's a good investment. If you want to try for pollock the fluoro shouldn't be less than 20lbs. I lost a good pollock on 15lb fluoro, again it crashed dived and the leader snapped in 2.

hey lad,
id be thinking that if i couldnt go lighter than the 9wt for pollock,i'd definatly want something tougher for the bass,i just dont know lad..if thats the case id have to bump up the leader too...
will check out that reel and rod too...maybe i should just go 10wt all round :?:
thanks again man.
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby hurler01 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:05 am

A 10 wt is probably too much for bass but would be fine for pollock and pike. I'm using a 9 wt rod for pollock and pike at the moment until the other rod is fixed. I'm pretty hard on rods but a 9 wt might be a general allrounder if you want to also target pollock besides the bass.

lucky13 (Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:10 am)
hurler01
SAI Bait Ball

Postby salar » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:51 pm

8/9 wt sounds about right.

In general a fly rod rating should be tailored to the largest and heaviest flies that you will be casting with any frequency. There is usually a reasonable margin below that for slightly lighter flies or as in this case the difference between bass and pollack flies.

Even if you want to throw very small flies for mullet, there is no need to change to a lighter outfit. A short heavy shooting head - to load the rod- with a loop to loop joined tip about 15' of an old dt #5 works fine at presenting small dry or wet flies to spooky mullet.
At least it does for me.

For this message the author salar has received thanks:
lucky13 (Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:22 pm)
salar
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 72 times

Postby lucky13 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:24 pm

nice one lads,im gonna have a good bash at it in the new year,once i get all me bits and pieces together...
excellent stuff...
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing