the new Peanut Worms - any takers?

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

the new Peanut Worms - any takers?

Postby The Austrian » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:39 pm

What are Peanut Worms I hear you ask? Sipunculans, or Peanut Worms, are a type of Lugworm, and are found throughout most of the world's oceans. There are an estimated 300 to 500 species of Peanut Worms, however, many of them are small and as they tend to be found in tough environments, such as the insides of rocks, they are not of much interest to the sea angler. They are found all around the coast of the British Isles and are sub tidal - living from the low water mark down to depths of hundreds of metres.

So what makes Peanut Worms such a potent bait? Peanut Worms are the vacuums of the ocean, they suck up bacteria and algae which creates a natural chemical reaction that generates a shiny sparkling skin in the day and a faint phosphorescent glow at night. More importantly the Peanut Worm is loaded with amino acids that attract fish like bees to nectar. They have two rectangular muscles which create an attractive movement and which also makes them a much tougher bait that lives longer once baited. This allows a longer period of time, compared to other similar baits like Ragworm or Lug, for fish to track down the worm before the angler has to re-bait.

more here: http://blog.fishingmegastore.com/2013/0 ... eanut.html

Would be nice to read an educated opinion or even some personal experiences with this bait. Certainly looks the business.
“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.” - Dalai Lama
“Learn from Yesterday, Live for Today and Hope for Tomorrow.” - Albert Einstein
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Have thanks: 540 times

Re: the new Peanut Worms - any takers?

Postby The Austrian » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:44 pm

“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.” - Dalai Lama
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Postby Determined Dan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:54 pm

Great report, it looks like a very user friendly bait and any bait that increases catch rate is welcome. You said they live in tough environment ?is there any type of ground or rock they prefer . If they do inhabit our coast lines I would be willing to search them out.
20107xthornback ray. {PB 14.5LB TB RAY} 1xpouting. 1xcodling.11xdogfish. 25xflounder.1xshore rock ling. 177xmac 4xturbot.1 bull huss.1sea trout. 1 MAYO BASS.2011. WHITING X9. COALIE X3. FLOUNDER X7. DOGGIE X8. THORNIEX3. CODLINGX1. SEA SCORPIONX1. 5 BEARDED ROCKLINGX4. SEATROUT X1. TURBOT X1. POLLACK X7. 3 BEARD ROCKLING .2012 SEATROUT X3. TURBOT X5. FLOUNDER X7. 3B,ROCKLINGX1.DOG .
. 2013.shore species ..... Flounder, dog conger pollack sea trout plaice. Gobyx3 wrasse cork wing wrasse Huss scorpion fish sp. coalie .
Determined Dan
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 145 times

Postby paul skelly » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:03 pm

Determined Dan wrote:Great report, it looks like a very user friendly bait and any bait that increases catch rate is welcome. You said they live in tough environment ?is there any type of ground or rock they prefer . If they do inhabit our coast lines I would be willing to search them out.

They live inside rocks so the best way to get them is a sledge hammer :lol: :lol:
Give a man a fire he will be warm for a night,
Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Species from the shore 2011:21
Species from the shore 2012:34,
Species from the shore 2013:40
Species from the shore 2014:36
Species from the shore 2015:35
Species from the shore 2016:30
: whiting,pouting,dab,shore rockling,5xb beard rockling,flounder,dogfish,grunt,white sea bream,banded sea bream,black damselfish,blue damselfish, ornate wrasse,lizard fish,sea trout,red gurnard,bass,tornback ray smoothhound,Corkwing wrasse,poor cod,ballon wrasse,cod,pollock,conger,spotted ray,bullhuss,mackerel ,tub gurnard,place,lesser weever,

Wish list: ray
paul skelly
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 257 times

Postby The Austrian » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:08 pm

I haven't a notion Dan, that's the reason for my post, I have never heard of these little critters being used as top class bait, can anyone contribute some facts, good or bad? Looks like another money making scheme to me, who wouldn't be surprised at this stage... :roll:
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Postby The Austrian » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:13 pm

paul skelly wrote:They live inside rocks so the best way to get them is a sledge hammer :lol: :lol:

right ok, so basically no difference as to when I want to get some money out of my bank? :P :wink:

For this message the author The Austrian has received thanks:
paul skelly (Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:15 pm)
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Postby highwatermark » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:17 pm

Good report and worthy imho of posting and putting it out there. Its interesting if nothing else and worth looking into further. I, for one, have certainly never heard of em before. But now that I have I will certainly seek out more info etc about them. Won't be running to pay 6.99stg tho just yet :D
highwatermark
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby bassboy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:35 pm

They look like pink slugs :) ha ha
bassboy
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 92 times

Postby red » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:46 pm

Do they make the fish horny?

For this message the author red has received thanks: 3
bassboy (Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:29 pm), bigsod (Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:34 pm), The Austrian (Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:06 pm)
red
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 222 times

Postby sparkey+1 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:23 pm

And whos going to supply Tilly :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Species 2012: Flounder, Whiting, Dublin Bay Codling, Coalie, 3 Beard Rockling, Shore Rockling, Bass, Dogfish, 5.2lb Starry Smoothhound (PB), Twaite Shad, Thornback Ray 5.8lbs (PB), LSD, Pollock, Ballan Wrasse, Cork Wing Wrasse, 43cm Flounder (PB)

Species 2013: Coalie, East Coast Codling, Smoothounds, And hopefully a back opp to get back fishing soon...
sparkey+1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 267 times

Postby bassboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:29 pm

red wrote:Do they make the fish horny?

Ha. Lmfao :)
bassboy
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 92 times

Postby The Austrian » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:06 pm

red wrote:Do they make the fish horny?

well Denis, cases of uncountable foulhooked fish could be on the increase, unless they are from the foulmouthed species :lol:

For this message the author The Austrian has received thanks:
red (Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:21 pm)
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Postby paul skelly » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:04 pm

Had a quick look on the English forums and from what they are saying , they are very popular in the med for bream , but not much use in England , so I guess it a case of tempting the fish with what they are used to.
Give a man a fire he will be warm for a night,
Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Species from the shore 2011:21
Species from the shore 2012:34,
Species from the shore 2013:40
Species from the shore 2014:36
Species from the shore 2015:35
Species from the shore 2016:30
: whiting,pouting,dab,shore rockling,5xb beard rockling,flounder,dogfish,grunt,white sea bream,banded sea bream,black damselfish,blue damselfish, ornate wrasse,lizard fish,sea trout,red gurnard,bass,tornback ray smoothhound,Corkwing wrasse,poor cod,ballon wrasse,cod,pollock,conger,spotted ray,bullhuss,mackerel ,tub gurnard,place,lesser weever,

Wish list: ray

For this message the author paul skelly has received thanks:
The Austrian (Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:05 pm)
paul skelly
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 257 times

Postby The Austrian » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:05 pm

Your subtle hint has not been wasted on me Paul :) The sales of the blue stuff might increase now in the UK following your post :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers