Clip down rigs

Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:43 am

Hi Lads

Being making my own rigs for a few years now, but the only rig that I cannot get right is the 2 hook clip down rig, I have over the years got ready made rigs and gone on line and worked off diagrams, what am I doing wrong ????? All help greatly appreciated

Re: Clip down rigs

Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:22 am

put all the commponents on main trace body b4 crimping them in place use srt springs imps annd breakaway clip downs by using the springs u dont strech ur snnods to much u tube has loadsa vids

Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:22 am

When i set out making clip down rigs i find the most important thing 2 help make them is some Telephone Wire! Cut into small sections and use it to hold the crimps in place before crimping, this means u can adjust the lengths and get it right before u make a permanent crimp.. Cause the last thing u want is to crimp it in the wrong place and have the trace setup all wrong, then end up chopping the trace up and starting again... Also clip the lead on the trace and work ur way up from the last snood, the tension will be perfect and the trace should flow perfectly.. cause if u use no weight, or a vice to hold the trace when measuring & crimping, the tension could be different than the lead, and when u eventually go 2 clip a lead on, the trace wont sit right and will look off!!

Hope this helps :)

Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:10 am

Breakaway adjustable crimps???

Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:27 pm

I've stopped using crimps and instead double my line through pvc rig tubing similar to this https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/lumino ... g-197.html

I find the pvc holds a lot better than silicone tubing and is more than capable of keeping an srt spring in place but is easily moved if the need arises.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:07 pm

power gum. it stays in place after a good cast and can be adjusted after if you want to change hook length

Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:56 pm

Pm me your email address, I've a PDF on clips owns that might help.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:19 am

Lads thanks for the advice, let ye know how I get on

Regards

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:07 am

cut the top hook off a three hook clipped down :wink:

Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:14 pm

You can use srt springs, though not necessary. Don't crimp too hard so that you can still adjust or use stop knots, also stretch the snood before crimping.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:01 pm

Ye SRT springs will help there is a diagram with the packet to show you how to use them. there also handy for making loop rigs.

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Sea-Angler/S ... -loop-rig/

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Cheers for that samo

Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:21 pm

in these hard times we live in keep it cheap and simple in between your crimp/bead/swivel/bead/crimp for each snood add a small bead (any colour) when crimping slide the crimp and squeeze until the crimp grip,s the line and needs a good amount of force to slide it (important on the bottom crimp for each snood) now you can use the extra bead as an adjuster to slide the crimp to the correct position and can adjust it when fishing if required .plain simple and cheap :lol:

Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:08 pm

samo wrote:Ye SRT springs will help there is a diagram with the packet to show you how to use them. there also handy for making loop rigs.

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Sea-Angler/S ... -loop-rig/

Just two useful alterations
1. Leave out the top crimp above the SRT spring. If the spring rusts, which it will, you can open the top swivel and replace the spring
2. leave about 2” between the crimps for the second snood. This will allow for stretch in the line which the spring will tighten back.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi all
If i can help you , see my own way ,
[img][/[IMG]http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/1253/montages028jpgdouble.jpg[/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us]