Do check the strength of your (old) line !!

Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:13 am

I'm sure we all know that it is recommended to change our mono line , or at least reverse it on the reel , at the end of each season . I never bother , only get around to it when I've lost enough to notice .
I had also assumed that unused line would keep forever on the original spool . Have just found out that this definitely isn't the case .

Following several suspicious snap-offs I've just tested the "new" spool which has been in the box for a number of years . Original BS is rated as 30 lb . On 8 out of 8 attempts to lift a bucket with it ( ie without a fish jerking about ) it snapped at weights between 16 and a max of 21 lb .
Predictably it always sheered at the knot but strangely it was always at the top one of the two swivels . I can't think why . Anyway , it has gone straight into the bin ............. or strictly speaking into a bag for incineration so it doesn't entangle any creatures .

It could well be a false economy to save the few euro which new line would cost if you're going to spend money on an outing .

Re: Do check the strength of your (old) line !!

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:27 am

I agree and i think i just learned the hard way. I was out last night fishing and i had two lovely big takes. serious rod benders. the first was definitely on, pulled hard as hell and snapped my line above where the shockleader started. no evidence of a leader knot coming untied just a clean snap. the second fish i lost two and when i went to pull the bits of peeler off the snood snapped off in my hand. Haven't used this line in about 5-6 years.

Upgrading to braid on monday.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:21 am

always cut a few feet of line that was near a knot or swivel - it cant weaken, especially if it hasnt been changed in a while

good luck with the braid - mind your fingers

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:29 am

I've been reading up a bit on braid and i'm very unsure now.

Its not extra casting distance i want, i wanted better feel and bite detection however without the stretch i could lose bigger fish.

Would the mono shock leader and trace not give me the stretch i need to land sometime over 5 pound?

Never used braid before