jd
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 526 times
Blog: View Blog (5)

Re: July - Tope / Garfish Ullcatch Nominated Species

Postby SirSquiglum » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:41 pm

jd wrote:Any tope or garfish??? :)

Have been out twice, and struck out for the tope :x
But shall keep at em, yet 2 get a run of one this year, but they are around, can feel it :)
ⓂⒺⓃⒶⓅⒾⒶ ⓈⒶⒸ

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ The Anger Sharks are Swimming in my head, Utth-Ohhh!! Goosfraba Goosfraba Goosfraba Goosfraba ♪ ♫ ♩ ♬
SirSquiglum
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 81 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby jd » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:07 pm

Come on lads, somebody should get a gar or tope soon..
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Postby Martin Mc Gowan » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:41 pm

There has to be surly some garfish around in this fine summer sun we are getting at long last 8)
All about angling
Martin Mc Gowan
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 42 times

Postby barry murphy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:37 am

there seem to be loads of tope going at the min up the east coast?ill have to put in my 30 cm one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:.anyone hear of any gars from the shore?sharking has started surely a few caught then?
barry
barry murphy
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 22 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby screeming reels » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:21 am

Hi
tried and failed, even trying to find a mackerel at present is difficult!!
screeming

For this message the author screeming reels has received thanks: 2
jd (Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:39 pm), Martin Mc Gowan (Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:18 pm)
screeming reels
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 82 times

Postby peakle » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:24 pm

lots of mackeral today :lol: braking all around the boat few gars to :) doh forgot it was gars this month
species 2014(8)cod,coalie,flounder,dog, pollack,bass, turbot,twaite shad

specimen 2014 twaite shad
species 2013(36)flounder, shore rockling, dog, coalie,cod, whiting, dab, poor cod, pollack, grey gurnard, red gurnard, pouting, haddock, thornback ray, grey mullet,ballen wrasse, cuckoo wrasse, scorpion fish, bass,blonde ray, plaice, herring, conger, golden grey mullet, red band fish, turbot, ling, garfish, scad, gold shinny, tom pot blenny, smooth hound, bullhuss, cork wing, dragonet, lesser weaver, painted ray.

specimen 2013 16 golden grey mullet, 1 scad, 1 red gurnard.

species 2012(39) whiting, coalie, flounder,dogfish, poor cod, cod, bass, shore rockling, ling,cuckoo wrasse, ballen, grey gurnard, red gurnard, three bearded rockling, mackeral, plaice, dab, pollack, grey mullet,haddock.conger,gold shinny,cork wing, blonde ray, lesser weaver, megrim, dragonet, thornback , tub gurnard, blue shark, scad, bull huss, tompot blenny, sea scorpion, goby, painted , garfish, pouting,

specimen2012 plaice red gurnard
peakle
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 67 times

MY HUNCH PAYS OFF!!!

Postby SirSquiglum » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:52 pm

People: Paulie, Myself

Duration: 4hrs (9pm - 1am)

Tide: Rising

Weather: As good as it gets!

Bait: Fresh Mackerel

Rigs: 8/0 Steel Wire / Pulley Rig

Results: Paulie: 2 Tope (17lb 4oz, 22lb), 1 dog, 1 Turbot - - - Myself 4 Tope (25lb 7oz, 17lb 10oz, 14lb, 31lb)

Report: Well its been a tough summer for the tope from the shore i must admit, and have been striking out more often than not, So when i seen the weather and winds starting to come right, i knew that this was going to be my best shot at finding them. So i rang paulie to see if he was up for a session, and as usual he comes up trumps AGAIN, Says the magical words - Ive got FRESH MACK :) Which is a god send when targeting Tope from the shore and IMO a good advantage! So got the gear packed and headed off! Arrived at the venue and i must say, gave me goosebumps, it looked awesome, a still pond wouldnt have been as calm and just screamed TOPE! The session started off slow, with not much of anything stirring, but paul got bored and started scratching and managed a nice turbot which saved the blank just incase things didnt pick up :) As the tide started to make, and darkness fell, things started to get interesting and the fun began. I was the first to get into the action, with a nice run, but failed to hook up, and needless to say i wasnt happy, lol.. No sooner had i finished my rosary :lol:, Paulie got into the action but was also not having much luck. He was running 2 rods, One of the rods had a mono trace and luck would have it, the tope had picked that one, and wasnt in the fight long when the inevitable happened, the tope had bitten through the mono, another bad luck moment. We were starting to wonder if this was going 2 be one of those nights, but lady luck eventually came when i got an amazing run and hooked into my first tope of the year, excited wasnt the word for it!! This fish gave one of the best fights i have had from the shore, not the biggest tope i have ever had from the shore, but it was fast, strong, took line at ease and gave a few impressive runs. After about 5mins the fish was landed and weighed in at 25lb 7oz. It was tagged, documented and a quick photograph before the fish was released back!! At least the pressure was off now, and it was pauls turn to land one, but Paul was getting greedy and decided that one wasnt enuf and had a double hook up, no sooner had he landed the other one he turned and said there is also one on that rod aswell, lol. He landed both fish and we only managed to tag and document one of them, because when i was helping paul out, my rod took off and it was all hands on deck as this was a mad half hour of fishing (Unfortunately no pics were got of pauls two tope and I was playing another Tope and we needed to get the fish back into the water as soon as possible for a safe release).. I struck into another tope and this one weighed in at 17lb 10oz, delighted 8) This was a feeding frenzy as we dropped numerous fish on the night and often when u miss a bite, reel in and leave the rod down, they would smash it again and again. I had one tope hit and drop me 3 times before he eventually took it, this was the smallest of the session, weighing in at 14lb.. My last fish of the session was the heaviest and gave a serious account of himself and this one weighed in at 31lb.. This fish literally gave everything he had, and when releasing it was very tired and disorientated and took a long time to get swimming. It kept swimming back into shore which was cause for concern. Brought him out to deeper water and got him swimming strong, which was a good sign and looked to be back to himself, released and swan away. Actually lost some sleep that night on that one fish (Sad but true, lol) that kept swimming back in, hoping he made it back in good health and didnt end up swimming back in further up the beach that night, but myself and Paul walked about 200 yards either side of our pegs that night to check for him and no sign, which was a good sign..

Went back down the following night without Paulie ( My lucky Charm was out on the tiles ) and i had fellow Club member Philip along with me, Hoping to land his first Tope from the shore.. The conditons were much the same, It was a little colder and a lil more weed in closer that the previous night, but conditions were still very good (Never seen as many shooting stars in one night, along with a big red moon, amazing). Fished for 4hrs and Philip blanked, and myself had 1 Dog, and lost a tope aswell. Well actually tiredness and stupidity lost it for me, forgot to put the ratchet on, and got one hell of a bite and pulled the rod off the stand and by the time i got to the rod, the fish had done a number on me and evaded the hook, RAGE, but couldnt be mad at that as the previous night made up for it :)

All in all, A couple great nights fishing and the Craic was had, which is the main thing 8)

Hope you enjoy the read, all the best SQUIG (aka Steve)...............
Attachments
1.jpg
Image1
1.jpg (66.23 KiB) Viewed 37752 times
2.jpg
Image2
2.jpg (59.14 KiB) Viewed 4488 times
3.jpg
Image3
3.jpg (58.38 KiB) Viewed 4487 times
4.jpg
Image4
4.jpg (68.52 KiB) Viewed 4488 times
ⓂⒺⓃⒶⓅⒾⒶ ⓈⒶⒸ

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ The Anger Sharks are Swimming in my head, Utth-Ohhh!! Goosfraba Goosfraba Goosfraba Goosfraba ♪ ♫ ♩ ♬

For this message the author SirSquiglum has received thanks: 2
chuckaroo (Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:12 pm), jd (Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:20 pm)
SirSquiglum
SAI Hammerhead

Postby jd » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:48 pm

Well Steve obviously won this one!
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Postby SirSquiglum » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:09 pm

[quote="jd"]Well Steve obviously won this one![/quote

Durkka Durkka :)
Tyty 8)
ⓂⒺⓃⒶⓅⒾⒶ ⓈⒶⒸ

SirSquiglum
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Martin Mc Gowan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:26 pm

You will be selling hoodies by the end of the year 8)
Well done again.
Might head to Wexford next week...
All about angling
Martin Mc Gowan
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 42 times

Postby SirSquiglum » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:20 pm

Martin Mc Gowan wrote:You will be selling hoodies by the end of the year 8)
Well done again.
Might head to Wexford next week...

Haha, not at all, next couple of months Species Hunts are tricky :wink:
Tanx Martin :)
Yeah next week the weather is meant to be good, if your up around give us a bell!!
ⓂⒺⓃⒶⓅⒾⒶ ⓈⒶⒸ

SirSquiglum
SAI Hammerhead

Postby red » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:33 pm

Paddy power have you at 6/4 fav to make it 3 in a row:smile::smile:
red
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 222 times

Postby SirSquiglum » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:35 pm

red wrote:Paddy power have you at 6/4 fav to make it 3 in a row:smile::smile:

Lmao, Paddy Power doesnt realise wexford is shocking for Ray fishing, will have 2 be a cracker of a mullet so :)
ⓂⒺⓃⒶⓅⒾⒶ ⓈⒶⒸ

SirSquiglum
SAI Hammerhead

Postby sparkey+1 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:46 pm

Fair play Steven you deserved that one. Start a pool on you for 3 in a row!!!!! Big congrats 8)
Species 2012: Flounder, Whiting, Dublin Bay Codling, Coalie, 3 Beard Rockling, Shore Rockling, Bass, Dogfish, 5.2lb Starry Smoothhound (PB), Twaite Shad, Thornback Ray 5.8lbs (PB), LSD, Pollock, Ballan Wrasse, Cork Wing Wrasse, 43cm Flounder (PB)

Species 2013: Coalie, East Coast Codling, Smoothounds, And hopefully a back opp to get back fishing soon...

For this message the author sparkey+1 has received thanks:
SirSquiglum (Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:54 pm)
sparkey+1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 267 times

Postby SirSquiglum » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:56 pm

sparkey+1 wrote:Fair play Steven you deserved that one. Start a pool on you for 3 in a row!!!!! Big congrats 8)

Tanx Sparkey :)
3 in a row is going 2 be tough, im not known for my mullet catching skills, haha! And as for Ray, we dont get a lot of them down this way.
Shall have a good go for a few anyhow, u never know 8)
ⓂⒺⓃⒶⓅⒾⒶ ⓈⒶⒸ

SirSquiglum
SAI Hammerhead

Return to Nominated Species Competition 2012 - Sponsored by Ullcatch