Illegal fishing activity reports.

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Illegal fishing activity reports.

Postby Tanglerat » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:43 pm

Sometimes, here on SAI we hear of illegal fishing activities that for a variety of reasons, people are loathe to be publically identified if they post details about it. Activities that should have the spotlight of publicity shone on them.

I'm not so loathe, so I'll post up stories/information/reports on this thread as long I can remain within site rules and legal restrictions. If anyone wants me to post up anything, drop me a pm.

For this message the author Tanglerat has received thanks: 2
fishermannum1 (Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:57 am), The Austrian (Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:22 pm)
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Re: Illegal fishing activity reports.

Postby Tanglerat » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:46 pm

Here's a story I heard from last Tuesday that happened in Wexford:

Five or six boxes of Bass removed from Wexford Hbr last evening between 18:30 and 17:15 with witness who is a Bass fisherman - hotline responded to eventually - loaded off a green boat into a white van - offender is known by the reportee and IFI

in broad daylight which is particularly galling

thing is this just dissappears over the horizon and nobody knows anything about the activity and so it goes on and on

For this message the author Tanglerat has received thanks: 4
corbyeire (Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:36 am), myworldfishing (Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:29 pm), The Austrian (Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:23 pm), Tommy B (Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:03 pm)
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby myworldfishing » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:40 pm

Is the IFI the only origination in Ireland that deals with poaching??
myworldfishing
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 125 times

Postby Tommy B » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:03 pm

Great idea keep em coming!!!!
Tommy
Tommy B
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby JohnQ » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:07 pm

myworldfishing wrote:Is the IFI the only origination in Ireland that deals with poaching??

The enforcement of the bass legislation is primarily the responsibility of the SFPA. It was only in August last year that the IFI officers were warranted to enforce the parts of the legislation that deal with illegal commercial activity. The SFPA do not concider illegal bass activity to be a high priority. Their point of view is that you could have a large trawler with 1,000 tonnes of illegal herring of mackerel on board so a few boxes of bass are not important to them. The IFI are making steps in the right direction but there is a long way to go. Whether we like it or not, many IFI officers feel that they were already overworked before the got landed with the bass legislation last year. I believe that our only hope to get this under some sort of control is for bass anglers and IFI officers to try to help each other.
JohnQ
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 177 times

Postby myworldfishing » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:32 pm

Thanks for the answer John, In a way I agree with the SFPA, and then in other ways I dont.
The SFPA have their eyes focused on the trawlers while poachers go netting boxes of fish from the coast and get away with it because most organisation's want to take down the big boys and leave the small fry to do what they like. Catching a boat with 30 tons of poached fish will make the headlines quicker that catching a guy with 30 fish!........

But your answer in it's self shows what allot of people think about poaching, "The enforcement of the Bass legislation is primarily the responsibility of the SFPA" Why is it that most people think it's only Bass that can be poached?

I have heard of stories of people taking buckets full of small flounder, wrasse and even smoothhounds..... Who looks after this side of it..? If I see a guy filling buckets with tiny flounder who do I ring or if I do ring someone will they care because its flounder and not bass?
myworldfishing
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Greenthumb » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:05 pm

If their breaking the law can the garda not be called to arrest them there and then .
In my experience if you break the law you get arrested.
Greenthumb
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby myworldfishing » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:37 pm

Greenthumb wrote:If their breaking the law can the garda not be called to arrest them there and then .
In my experience if you break the law you get arrested.

They are breaking the law but its not in the Garda's jurisdiction, so they wont respond... If you asked a Gard the fishing laws they would not know how to answer!
myworldfishing
SAI Hammerhead

Postby red » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:47 pm

myworldfishing wrote:
I have heard of stories of people taking buckets full of small flounder, wrasse and even smoothhounds..... Who looks after this side of it..? If I see a guy filling buckets with tiny flounder who do I ring or if I do ring someone will they care because its flounder and not Bass?

You dont have to ring anyone because legally, they are doing nothing wrong. There are no size or bag limits to any of those fish. Not in Ireland anyway. Morally its not right but other than trying to explain to them why you think its wrong theres nothing else you can do.

For this message the author red has received thanks:
beachbuddy (Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:32 am)
red
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 222 times

Postby myworldfishing » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:23 am

red wrote:
myworldfishing wrote:
I have heard of stories of people taking buckets full of small flounder, wrasse and even smoothhounds..... Who looks after this side of it..? If I see a guy filling buckets with tiny flounder who do I ring or if I do ring someone will they care because its flounder and not Bass?

You dont have to ring anyone because legally, they are doing nothing wrong. There are no size or bag limits to any of those fish. Not in Ireland anyway. Morally its not right but other than trying to explain to them why you think its wrong theres nothing else you can do.

So marine fish have no size limit?
myworldfishing
SAI Hammerhead

Postby donal domeney » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:57 am

This topic is here to assist anyone who would like to report illegal fishing but are afraid for one reason or another to put their head on the line.

If you want to discuss the merits of introducing a minimum take home size for sea fish go here
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39963
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder

For this message the author donal domeney has received thanks: 2
keith (Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:10 pm), Tanglerat (Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:47 am)
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby jgraham768 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:28 am

Two weeks ago I heard of someone in Ballydavid Co. Kerry hauled in 40 salmon and was openly selling them to whoever wanted them, in fact he was so overstocked with illegal poached salmon he offered three wild 17lb salmon to a friend for a post wedding barbecue to which he was told f*** off.

How can people be so easily getting away with this?! It's no wonder there's nothing left in the ocean!

Also saw an add on donedeal for 400m of "salmon drift nets"?! It's pathetic and so enfuriating!!
jgraham768
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 54 times

Postby dexs7 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:03 am

Great thread, but breaks my heart to read it.
The finest gift you can give a fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?"

2016 Bass, Flounder, Turbot, Dogfish, Pollock,Mackerel, Bull Huss, Coal Fish

2013 8

2012 (8) Bass (P.B 7.5 lb)

2011 (17)

2010 (14)
dexs7
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 40 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Holeopen » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:51 pm

Fact of the matter is that fisheries officers cannot get any overtime and the trawlers land their over the quota fish anytime between midnight and 6am. This is common knowledge and a blind eye is turned to it. The reality is that the Irish quota is so small for most whitefish species that the monthly quota could be caught in a couple of days, this would make the job not viable and result in the loss of many jobs. This in turn would lead to importation of all the main species, most notably from Iceland and the Faroe Islands.

For this message the author Holeopen has received thanks:
beachcomber (Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:06 am)
Holeopen
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 26 times

Postby Dipper » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:06 pm

In the UK there is a recommended minimum size limit for fish you can take for the pan. Anglers have a small rule to measure the fish and if it is undersize then they are oblidged to put it back. I'm not aware of any such law or obligation in the ROI. I feel however that it should be law as it maddens me to watch anglers who put everything, no matter how small, into the bag for home. At least if there was a law on this something might be done to stop this slaughter. Enlighten me please if there is any guidelines or legislation.
Dipper
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby corbyeire » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:37 pm

i think there is for commercial but not for rod and line, except bass
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby The Austrian » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:44 pm

Every one contributing to this forum should know the legal requirements. Full stop. How many fish are allowed of certain species is not a secret. Unfortunately, there are plenty of people in the know who are closing both eyes in order not to get into any bother. I don't blame them, fear is a strong feeling and not everyone in pursuit of his hobby wants the hassle of a confrontation. Where this behaviour leaves us in the end is obvious. Step up for your believes and do not tolerate anything what common sense tells you from right and wrong. Contact the propriety bodies immediately if you suspect foul play and let them deal with the situation. Provide evidence, photos, plates, whatever you can collect. Do not put yourselves in any danger. Collect, report and leave in safety in the knowledge you have done your bit to safeguard our sport. It's easy!
“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.” - Dalai Lama
“Learn from Yesterday, Live for Today and Hope for Tomorrow.” - Albert Einstein
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Have thanks: 540 times

Postby lad123 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:29 pm

i seen a person keep a tope , is this ok ?
lad123
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 74 times

Postby ragnar » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:37 am

Down by gold coast dungarvan and two lads were plugging for bass in front of hotel.Another lad in a kayak plugging also.Yesterday I say two other lads at barnawee bridge spinning.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
ragnar
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby WKD Fishing 14 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:58 pm

dexs7 wrote:Great thread, but breaks my heart to read it.
I have never really got involved in forum s before and am not against it in any way just to be clear on that.I fish the Wexford shore line and have done for many year.In recent times I have seen the decrease in bass stocks and am disgusted to say on my regular outings I come up against illegal net men launching from fethard key and openly netting bass in plane view.when I have contacted the fishery boards and put reports on this in to them I've have been basically told to mind my own business.I have put up with subtle threats from net men also.[edit by admin-no defamation please].A stance against the false publicity of bass catches by fishing promoters who sensationalise catches due to motive of profit.A stance against the possibility of the legislation on netting of bass returning to our Irish shores as the so called government attack and take one of our greatest natural resources.i am fishing 34 years and it saddens that my kids won't get to experience what I have.I respect for other people s view points but I would like to mark that our time for talking may now be over and action is needed to be taken.
Banno bandit ¥

For this message the author WKD Fishing 14 has received thanks:
Morgan44 (Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:40 pm)
WKD Fishing 14
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Next

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions