Fishing in dangerous surf?

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Fishing in dangerous surf?

Postby pok17r » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi lads
Okay, this might sound totally mad but you don't know if you don't ask.
I am only new into sea fishing. Yesterday was my second day out but I come from a course and game fishing background.
I was out on a beach yesterday and caught 2 sea trout in about two or three feet of water, very close in to the shore.
I reckon I could catch these on the fly but the area of coastline is very unpredictable with strong rips, surges, etc so I would be unwilling to put a pair of chest waders on to go into the surf.
One of our other hobbies is Kite surfing and we have surfed this coastline in the past and know what it can throw at you. One minute you could be standing ankle deep in water and the next be up to your chest. Hence, my unwillingness to get into chest waders.
This is where it starts sounding mad. I was thinking of slipping into one of my wetsuits and a buoyancy aid and having a go. I might have to cut the arms out for more flexibility but to catch those bad boys on light tackle, it would be worth it. Don't worry, I would not do this alone, I know the dangers of doing extreme sports alone and the sea is one that is not to be taken lightly. Or is there some other way that you fish the surf? Or am I just mad?
species 2012. Seatrout, Turbot, Flounder, Pollock, Mackerel
pok17r
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 5 times

Re: Fishing in dangerous surf?

Postby Tanglerat » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:37 pm

Skishing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skishing

You'd want to be a bit more than averagely certifiable.

For this message the author Tanglerat has received thanks: 2
pok17r (Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:30 pm), SlackLiner (Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:26 pm)
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby pok17r » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:28 pm

:lol: :lol: so I am only slightly mad. I only want to stand in the surf but be ready to go skishing if I have to :lol: . thanks for that link
pok17r
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Tanglerat » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:47 pm

For further reading, here's a good read by Keith White, Bass guide in the Channel Islands.

http://www.jerseybassguides.com/article ... ing-r2.pdf

He's a pretty typical Bass guide - part sea goat, total angler, wealth of knowledge on Bassing and Bass. More than a bit looney too, to be up to that skishing lark in Jersey where there's some ferocious tides.

He's also a thoroughly nice bloke - drop him a line for advice if you think you may be going skishing.

For this message the author Tanglerat has received thanks:
pok17r (Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:06 am)
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby pok17r » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:52 pm

I have decided Im going to give it a go, in a light swell. I dont think I well end up swimming but if i do sure that is all part of the fun.
pok17r
SAI Lug Worm

Postby SlackLiner » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:41 pm

Thats mental tanglerat, thanks for the links, great reading! Although i dont think I'll be rushing to Strangford narrows with my wet suit any time soon!

pok17r you're def not mad, this is a great idea! I surf alot of beaches on the north coast and have often thought about doing this. I have managed to fish in a diving dry suit up to chest level off beaches before and depending on the conditions its fairly safe too. Def need to scout the area at low tide first and have a 'dry' mate doing shore cover. Id imagine a wading stick would be a necessity too in some parts. Let us know how you get on if you do try it

K
2012 Species: Pollock, Coalie, Flounder, Whiting, Cod, 5bd Rockling, Ballan Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Mackerel, LSD, Spurdog, Tope, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Tub Gurnard, Plaice, Dab, Bass, Cuckoo Wrasse

Member - LADSAC
SlackLiner
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 40 times

Postby pok17r » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:02 pm

We kite the north coast as well some hard hitting waves up there and some I run from :shock:. I will let you know how I get on it should be fun
pok17r
SAI Lug Worm

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing