surface flies

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

surface flies

Postby sandblaster » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:42 pm

hi lads just wondering has anyone had any success with surface flies for bass i tied up some gartide gurglers that are very poular in the states. can anyone recommend any other paterns for surface or popper flies.thanks,
noel.
sandblaster
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 22 times

Re: surface flies

Postby patk » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:09 pm

Have had luck with gurgles in different colours and crease flies if you google them you will find pattern and how to tie can't remember did i come across them in popover book or flee book a foam head which is folded or creased therefore the name. You can also buy foam popper bodies to tie flies i have tied some of these but never fished them. pat
patk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 53 times

Postby sandblaster » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:03 pm

thanks pat do you think the foam on the gurglers would be ok for those crease flies?
sandblaster
SAI Bait Ball

Postby patk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:49 pm

That would be perfect. I haven't tied those in a while now but what i found good was get fine glitter from a craft shop and put it on the foam with sally hansen looks class!
patk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 53 times

Postby eoghanb » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:28 pm

Ive got plenty of bass on surface flies,what i did was cut small rectangles of foam and super glue them in layers,red foam and white tail or yellow and white tail were good,just carve the foam block to shape and put a slit half way from the bottem and glue in place,then add tip ex and black dot for eyes and cover in epoxy,u can also superglue tin foil around the foam and add colour with coloured markers before u add epoxy,but remember bass are not that picky the first few poppers i tied were crap but they caught once they popped
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 336 times

Postby sandblaster » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:42 pm

thanks for replies lads
sandblaster
SAI Bait Ball

Postby lumpy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:00 pm

for ease of casting i always stick with the gurgler, any of the square face poppers tend to spin too much in the cast and can be a little bulky. gurglers are reasonably aerodynamic and very lightweight
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby sandblaster » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:44 pm

by the way lads should a shorter leader be used with these poppers?
sandblaster
SAI Bait Ball

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing