Starter kit advice

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Starter kit advice

Postby Jayball10 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:25 pm

Lads looking to get a cheapish starter kit for SWFF. Ive done a bit of fresh water for rainbows and would like to give it a go on a few marks I have in mind shore side. Any advice on a cheap rod and reel? Also looking for advice on a decent floating line as Ill be using a long fluoro tip for Wrasse, Pollock and resident Red Cod. Im gonna have a look around on fleabay but any first hand advice is much appreciated. Budget would be around 100 but could stretch a little if persuaded :)
The way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly...
Jayball10
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 120 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Starter kit advice

Postby eoghanb » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:55 pm

Try the rod u use for rainbows,it will do grand ,just wash everything down thouroghly after,see how u get on for a while before u invest in proper gear,all ye need is a clear intermediate wf line and a wf floater if u dont take to swff you can use the lines again for the rainbows,ive been using a diawa wilderness resevoir rod for a few years nd its fine in the salt
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 336 times

Postby patk » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:32 pm

Shakespeare atlantis rod okuma airframe reel or scierra avalanche reel both the same get a floating and sinking mill end line from mullarkeys or john norris you should be near budget. Also i could sort you ou with a kit within your budget and throw in some flies too pat
patk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 53 times

Postby Jayball10 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:53 pm

Thanks for the replys lads. Yeh I was thinking of just trying the rainbow setup and if I take to it ill look into getting something a little better. I just wasnt sure if the saltwater would ruin the rod, line or reel. I think the rod is a shakespeare onix or something along those lines.

patk wrote:Also i could sort you ou with a kit within your budget and throw in some flies too pat

What ya got on offer Pat? Im a total newbie when it comes to any kinda fly fishing but I have a spot that could be great fun so wanna give it a go.
Jayball10
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Aurelien » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:31 pm

Make sure you get strong stuff ... this year is the year of the fly caught hound :wink:
2010: starry smoothound, common smoothound, bass, flounder, dogfish, scorpion fish, tub gunard, tope, thornback ray, bull huss, coalfish, pollack, mackerel, turbot, whiting...

2011: flounder, dab, 5 bearded rockling, whiting, dogfish, codling, starry smoothound, common smoothound, bass, bull huss ...

2012: dogfish, codling, starry smoothound (PB), bass, common smoothound (PB)...

Catch and release feed our sport...

For this message the author Aurelien has received thanks:
Jayball10 (Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:53 am)
Aurelien
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 46 times

Postby Jayball10 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:55 am

Aurelien wrote:Make sure you get strong stuff ... this year is the year of the fly caught hound :wink:

Ive said it before and Ill say it again... Your crazy man! Lets do it! I like your plan for the mark...
Jayball10
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Aurelien » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:39 pm

Crazy, crazy, maybe not so much :mrgreen:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (12.95 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
2010: starry smoothound, common smoothound, bass, flounder, dogfish, scorpion fish, tub gunard, tope, thornback ray, bull huss, coalfish, pollack, mackerel, turbot, whiting...

2011: flounder, dab, 5 bearded rockling, whiting, dogfish, codling, starry smoothound, common smoothound, bass, bull huss ...

Aurelien
SAI Hammerhead

Postby eoghanb » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:14 am

We'll all be tying crab and flounder imitations now,it would be something else if it works,imagine the fight if it wasnt dragging a 5oz lead around

And thanks gd for the insparation,i googled flounder flutter fly and found a site floundering about,an excellent flounder imitation is on it and its fairly easy to tie,dont know how it will cast if its made big enough to interest the hounds though,anyone know a spot where hounds wud be in reach of fly gear?
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 336 times

Postby JimH » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:26 am

Maybe you have seen this page already guys - might be some help http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/sharks/

definitely worth a go

For this message the author JimH has received thanks:
Aurelien (Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:12 am)
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Re: Starter kit advice with a sub topic of fly fishing for smuts

Postby Jayball10 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:37 am

JimH wrote:Maybe you have seen this page already guys - might be some help http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/sharks/

definitely worth a go

Great link Jim thanks. I think Ill start off small with some Wrasse and Pollock but Im sure the French fella above will have great fun this summer. Ill be the one video taping the whole thing! That crab shaped fly is gas!
Jayball10
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Aurelien » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:07 am

Thanks for the link Jim, I have found it when searching for infos to see if some guys have already tried this ...

From the shore it'll be difficult here (thinking about a kayak now :mrgreen: ). I have a few marks in my mind, given the right conditions,I already got some no more than 30/40 meters from the rocks, beach.

But for sure, this story has inspired me and will definitely give it a go :)

Aurelien
SAI Hammerhead

Postby JimH » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:37 pm

best of luck guys - when i was away in warmer places two years ago I tried for lemon sharks - the only colour that seemed to make them interested in taking the fly was an orange and red pike fly built by David Wolsoncrofft Dodds -we had them up to 20 / 25 kgs - will get some fotos for you later

strip strip strip strip - follow follow follow follow and many many refusals - their noses right on the fly all the way for maybe 10 yards
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby Aurelien » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:27 pm

sounds fun Jim ...
Well I read somewhere that all fishes can be caught on fly ...
and I pretty sure that when smoothound are on the feed they'll take a fly ...
Will give it a good go this spring ...
already started tying crabs patterns ...

Aurelien
SAI Hammerhead

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing