sea trout regulations 6 counties

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

sea trout regulations 6 counties

Postby corbyeire » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:02 pm

as the post says what are the regulations, are there closed fisheries, a licence, min sizes etc.

thanks
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Re: sea trout regulations 6 counties

Postby cathalger » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:30 pm

In reference to saltwater Corbyeire?

If I can find it, I will respond later after looking at last years licence. There isnt much on it in the way of regulations, limited information.

As far as am aware, to be legal and have your back covered, you should have a Dept of Culture Arts and Leisure licence if you plan to target sea trout in the salt. Then you will have tags to put on any killed fish and a baillif would be satisfied with that. An untagged fish could potentially be taken off you and land you in bother.

You would be unlikely to meet a baillif policing the sea shore but if you were close to, or had to go past a river mouth in the course of your sea angling, you could very well bump into a fisheries officer.

I'll have to check minimum sizes, I dont think there are any closed fisheries, fresh or saltwater.

The north western part of the 6 counties, and the extreme south eastern part require a different licence, a 'Loughs Agency' licence is needed to fish in the Foyle and Carlingford systems which straddle the border at Donegal and Louth respectively. The regulations there I would imagine closely resemble those of the Decal area between the 2 border regions. Again it would probably be advisable to get a Loughs Agency licence if intent on targetting sea trout in the salt in the foyle and Carlinford areas, especially if wishing to keep fish- which should be fixed with a tag.

There are closed seasons in the freshwater systems but I would doubt, at this point in time if there are any regulations like that applicable to the saltwater fishing close to those rivers. The closed season in freshwater is to protect spawners but sea trout dont spawn in the sea during that freshwater closed season so a closed season there would be unecessary.
2013 Sea Species:- Bass, Flounder, 5 Beard Rockling, Shore Rockling, Whiting, red gurnard, grey gurnard, Pollack, coley, mackerel, sea trout, cant remember cos I didn't update at the time.....
2012 Sea species:- Pollack, Coley, Mackerel, Cod, Bass, Sea Trout, Haddock, Plaice, Dab, Flounder, Red Gurnard, Grey Gurnard, Pouting, Whiting, Corkwing Wrasse, Ballan Wrasse, Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Brown Trout caught on beach.
2011 Sea species:- codling, L.S. dogfish, coley, whiting, pollack(4lb 3oz), sea trout, shore conger eel (15lb), ballan wrasse, grey gurnard, plaice, dab (and lobster).
cathalger
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 150 times

Postby JAFFUSMAXIMUS » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Some guides for Foyle and Carlingford can be found as PDF Docs on the below link

[url]
http://www.loughs-agency.org/angling/co ... ?catid=103[/url]
JAFFUSMAXIMUS
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby corbyeire » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:27 pm

thanks for the replies, it was indeed in relation to salt water

it seems similar to inland fisheries ireland details are clear on the freshwater but a bit fuzzy on the salt water - with the old addage of having a licence to cover yourself

so a general take on it is that the fish is held in approximately the same regard on either side of the border
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Postby BigPhil » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:35 pm

rod license , tags and log book required for any taken from sea or fresh.
Not the BigPhil from Irish Angler mag, I'm the original, i swear!!!!

For this message the author BigPhil has received thanks:
cathalger (Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:00 pm)
BigPhil
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby corbyeire » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:00 pm

thanks phil - i was trying to convince myself the regs were different as i was in a comp and the chap beside me was over like a shot asking for the sea trout i was after catching

he was hooked deep but i refused to give it to him - only a foot long

the fish wasnt bleeding and I unhooked him and put him on his way - he swam off grand
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Postby cathalger » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:57 pm

Hi Corbyeire,

Ive just had a bit of a look at last years Decal licence and the accompanying logbook for recording catches in and submitting at the end of the season.

It defines 'fish' which must be fiitted with a tag, having been retained as "any wild sea trout over 50cms in length and any wild atlantic salmon."

It seems it is not necessarily illegal to retain sea trout under 50cms in length, fish which do not require the fitting of a tag.

At the end of the logbook there is a recording sheet titled:

'END OF SEASON SUMMARY OF ANGLING EFFORT AND CATCH'.

At the bottom of the page it goes like this:-

'Total no. of fish captured and killed-
Total no. of fish retained and Gill tagged-
Total no. of fish sold-'

This would lead me to believe that there must be circumstances where a fish can be killed but isnt required to bwe fitted with a tag, and this may refer to sea trout under 50cms?

I can see not a single word about saltwater fishing nor minimum sizes.

But it does say in the logbook, that "The holder of the logbook should familiarise himself or herself with the Fisheries(Tagging and Logbook) Byelaws (Northern Ireland)2001".

I dont think youd have been breaking any laws keeping that 30cm sea trout? but when unsure, the anxiety isnt worth it!

Youd think they could spell things out a bit simpler and more straightforward. This thing would turn your head, it doesnt need to be so complicated!?

EDIT- The reason I still have my logbook for 2011 is because I didnt use any tags, mores the pity, I didnt catch any sea trout over 50cm nor any salmon and while the logbook is probably supposed to be submitted in any case, I have been too lazy and disorganised to do so!!!!
Last edited by cathalger on Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Sea Species:- Bass, Flounder, 5 Beard Rockling, Shore Rockling, Whiting, red gurnard, grey gurnard, Pollack, coley, mackerel, sea trout, cant remember cos I didn't update at the time.....
2012 Sea species:- Pollack, Coley, Mackerel, Cod, Bass, Sea Trout, Haddock, Plaice, Dab, Flounder, Red Gurnard, Grey Gurnard, Pouting, Whiting, Corkwing Wrasse, Ballan Wrasse, Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Brown Trout caught on beach.
2011 Sea species:- codling, L.S. dogfish, coley, whiting, pollack(4lb 3oz), sea trout, shore conger eel (15lb), ballan wrasse, grey gurnard, plaice, dab (and lobster).
cathalger
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Big Ben » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:55 pm

Hi,

I only know about the Foyle area licence which is issued by the Loughs agency and which costs about 16 quid gbp.It is not unusual to see fisheries officers patrol any beach in north inishowen.The last time I spoke to them they told me that the same regulations applied to sea trout taken from sea or river.The season runs from the start of April till late October. You can target them anytime but you cannot retain one without a valid licence. Minimum size is 10 inches(25.4cm).

Hope this helps.
Big Ben
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby cathalger » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:37 am

Well Ben,

Thats interesting, the 10" limit. If thats the case then its basically a paper excerisize. A 'size limit ' put in place to look like there is some effort going into fish protection.

Anyone grown man who willfully kills any fish under 10" for eating should catch themselves on. It wouldnt weigh 8oz. Na I think the minimum size must be set too low, to avoid the likelihood of confrontation and hassle on the riverbank/shore.

I think its presently 13" for brownies on the big westerN lakes and even that is a buckin disgrace.

Yeah I think I heard whispers about bailiffs going out along the seashore up your way in order to nail unsuspecting sea anglers, only way to be sure is buy ther licence, its worth it for the peace odf mind alone, fishing much more fun when you have the necessary document in your pocket, and for all the price of it, its for NUTHIN!

In the Decal region its approx £17 for 12 months, anyone who is prosecuted, or even just embarrassed at the water for nort having a licence has only themselves to blame. I can never figure out why people are scared to buy a fishing licence and go through all sorts of stress as a result of not having one?!?

Its ridiculous! Hope we all have a great years fishing!!!!!!!
cathalger
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Big Ben » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:43 am

Hi,

I would hope nobody would keep a fish that small,I was just reading from the list of regs I got from my last licence which are on the Loughs agency website( no salmon,sea brown trout or salmon less than 25.4cm may be retained).There are probably individual size limits so I'm sorry if I made a mistake.The loughs agency regurlarly patrol up here but I think it has more to do with illegal netting for trout.
The Foyle area licence is good value for money and the kids can get one for about two quid so its good for getting them involved too.
Sorry again if I made a mistake. :(

Ben.
Big Ben
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby corbyeire » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:03 am

i think even with the fuzzyness of all the regulations you said ben the season is april to october - so in effect there should be no fishing for them this time of year at all

then if you have a by catch it must go straight back
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Postby cathalger » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:19 pm

Big Ben wrote:Hi,

I would hope nobody would keep a fish that small,I was just reading from the list of regs I got from my last licence which are on the Loughs agency website( no salmon,sea brown trout or salmon less than 25.4cm may be retained).There are probably individual size limits so I'm sorry if I made a mistake.The loughs agency regurlarly patrol up here but I think it has more to do with illegal netting for trout.
The Foyle area licence is good value for money and the kids can get one for about two quid so its good for getting them involved too.
Sorry again if I made a mistake. :(

Ben.

Hi Ben,

Im not sure what you mean by making a mistake? I dont thinK you made any mistake in your info, I was just sayoing that the minimum size of 10" is pitifully small, thats all. Tyhat other thing about 13" was in relation to freshwater fishing, and unrelated to the loughs agency.

I know a fella who worked as a fisheries officer recently within the loughs agency, patrolling the river and lough(Foyle system) looking for illegal nets, salmon nets. But he did say to me that certain (specific individuals) fisheries officers seemed to have a personal interest in pursuing sea anglers who they would expect to be oblivious to the necessity to possess a licence to fish for sea trout in saltwater, or atleast to kill and retain sea trout they had caught. His personal opinion was that this was OTT and not where the effort should be focussed. All the same they could have the law on their side and while struggling to do anything about the free for all netting that goes on, the unsuspecting seashore angler may bear the brunt of their power trip, some fisheries officers (not all any any means) seemed to express an interest in hassling the man with rod and line (even on the seashore!) because it was a lot easier than tackling illegal netsmen.

Just refering to what a fisheries officer in the loughs agency told me, and I think anglers heading to the shore should be aware of the potential to be quizzed or challenged, especially if found walking back to the car as pleased as punch with a nice lump of a sea trout! It would be a real sickener.

Cathal.
cathalger
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby cathalger » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi again, just spoke to a current Decal bailiff, he said he would seriously consider booking any angler who 'brought to land' and killed sea trout caught at sea during the closed season. IE between Nov 1st and Feb 31st.

During the open season a decal licence is required even to kill sea trout in the salt. Because fish over 50cms must be fitted with a tag. 40cms in loughs agency duristiction.

He did admit that sea trout under 50cm did not have to be fitted with a tag and as far as he could remember it was legal to keep fish over 24.5cm, ie 10" as per loughs agency.

He directed me to the Northern Ireland Fisheries act 1966 to clarify any questions I might have.

So as Big Phil said above, we all must have a licence if targetting sea trout and the only way to be sure you dont get into trouble for killing a sea trout caught as part of a bye catch of angling for other marine species, is to have a licence and tags.

Having spoken directly to a young and active bailiff, and seeing how he had to think about his answers to my questions, is it any wonder anglers struggle to understand the regulations!!!"!!

Sermon over- I hope I didnt bore too many people, just to add a touch of realism, I think if I had to kill and keep a wee deeply hooked sea trout under the legal limit, I'd probably devise some means of smuggling it into the vicinity of my frying pan! FAR too good to be throwing to the crabs!!!!!
cathalger
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum