Juvenile Mac and Pollack Flies

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Postby Der Baron » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:23 pm

Having got some good pointers on sourcing hooks on this forum, I thought I'd show you the results. These are juvenile Mac and Pollack imitations, tied on Tiemco TC911s hooks, which I have taken a large pair of pliers too, and bent the shank at about a 25 degree angle, away from the bend of the hook, and about 5mm from the eye. It just gives me enough room to mount the material and the dumbell eyes on. The material is just generally different colours of tinsel, krystel flash, flashabou and angel hair. On the mack, I have a nice fine grizzle hackle laid along the sides, with a nice piece of artic fox, for the beard or the gill covers. The Pollack is just more of the same, with orange artic fox, and glo-brite floss for the hot spots, which I have tied in behind the eye, and just were I bent the shank of the hook. The dumbell eyes are deliberate tied under the fly to allow the hook to swim upside down, and hopefully as snag free as possible.

Juvenile Mac

Image0056 (300x168).jpg
Image0056 (300x168).jpg (53.21 KiB) Viewed 1889 times

Juvenile Pollack

Image0060 (300x159).jpg
Image0060 (300x159).jpg (54.27 KiB) Viewed 1886 times

Thanks all who helped me source the hooks, I'm not used with tying such large flies.
DER BARON
Der Baron
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 13 times

Re: Juvenile Mac and Pollack Flies

Postby Ocean Roar » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:30 pm

Love these,nice job 8)
Ocean Roar
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby gerryl » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:35 pm

Look great..mack is super...let us know how they fish... :)
gerryl
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 40 times

Postby FISHYFINGERS » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:29 am

THESE WILL DEFINATELY DO THE BIZ.
FISHYFINGERS
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby evan699 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:13 am

I'm gonna have to raid the rainy day jar for materials money. These posts you put up recently are some of the nicest flies i've come across since i've had an interest in tying and the tips and explanations that come with the pitures are great aswell. I've put an order in for fly tying supplies but due to a lack of funds i think my bait fish, shrimp and crab patterns will all be of a similar colour. hope the fish don't mind :oops:
Last edited by evan699 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Species 2014: whiting, coalie, pouting, codling, pollack, ballan wrasse, dab, poor cod, mackerel, grey gurnard, conger, ling, cuckoo wrasse, launce, common skate, bass, scad, garfish, blue shark

Species 2015: Ballan wrasse, poor cod, pollack, ling, flounder, turbot, mackerel, whiting, lsd, dab, grey gurnard, pouting, cuckoo wrasse, cod
evan699
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby chuckaroo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:49 am

great looking flies. they look like definite killers!
clever idea in bending the hook to reduce chances of snagging, hope it works
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby Der Baron » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:23 pm

evan699 wrote:I'm gonna have to raid the rainy day jar for materials money. These posts you put up recently are some of the nicest flies i've come across since i've had an interest in tying and the tips and explanations that come with the pitures are great aswell. I've put an order in for fly tying supplies but due to a lack of funds i think my bait fish, shrimp and crab patterns will all be of a similar colour. hope the fish don't mind :oops:

Evan,
a cheap and convenient way of changing your material colours is to use indelible marker pen, works very well on any lighter materials you may be using, you can buy them specifically from fly tying stores!
DER BARON
Der Baron
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Der Baron » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:02 pm

Tried to post this in the thread further down the page; viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32972, but it has been locked for some reason, just wanted to update on the success of the pattern, the Mac fly, I had 2 nice we Pollack on it last night. A great we fight and great sport on the 9# rod.

Mac Attack.jpg
Mac Attack.jpg (585.43 KiB) Viewed 1544 times

Will be taking this pattern and a few others to the Isle of Mull in September for a bit of sport, where there are a couple of marks that hold huge fish just under your feet. Should be interesting!!!!
DER BARON
Der Baron
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Tanglerat » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:20 pm

Topics merged, and unlocked.

It's a pretty new feature of the site that any topic that hasn't had a new post in 2 months is automatically locked. if you want any unlocked, just give the nearest admiin/mod a nudge.

For this message the author Tanglerat has received thanks:
Der Baron (Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:42 pm)
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby cathalger » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:16 am

Paul,

nice flies and crucial thought going into their design, the upside down swimming feature is a must for fishing virtually in the kelp, its only a matter of being in the right place at the right time and I think you are going to hit some pretty big pollack on those patterns, all you need to worry about now is putting them on the end of a line thats gonna get them down deep enough with the tide in full flow.(Listen to me, you were fishing a Hi D last night and I was wasting my time with a sink tip!?) Esp. at a mark like where we were last night, then again, as you will know yourself, there are times when big pollack can be taken right on the surface. Particularly when there is a shoal of sandeel close to shore. It happens on that shoreline, I took a couple of kids down there in 2006, didnt matter what we put in the water or at what depth, pollack hammered anything small enough for them to swallow, we got fish to 5lb and the young lads lost a few in the kelp which might have been bigger again. I caught a launce onthe type of spinner I was fishing last night, it regurgitated a small sandeel also, a frenzy you just wish you could meet more often. In those situations you cant even achieve any depth with a fly or spinner cos anything sinking near the surface is munched before it gets 3 foot down.

Lookin forward to doing a bit of fly fishing with you and Kev in the next few weeks.

Cathal.
2013 Sea Species:- Bass, Flounder, 5 Beard Rockling, Shore Rockling, Whiting, red gurnard, grey gurnard, Pollack, coley, mackerel, sea trout, cant remember cos I didn't update at the time.....
2012 Sea species:- Pollack, Coley, Mackerel, Cod, Bass, Sea Trout, Haddock, Plaice, Dab, Flounder, Red Gurnard, Grey Gurnard, Pouting, Whiting, Corkwing Wrasse, Ballan Wrasse, Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Brown Trout caught on beach.
2011 Sea species:- codling, L.S. dogfish, coley, whiting, pollack(4lb 3oz), sea trout, shore conger eel (15lb), ballan wrasse, grey gurnard, plaice, dab (and lobster).
cathalger
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 150 times

Postby cathalger » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:31 am

Paul where are you going on Mull? I was there in 1993 , was fishing in freshwater that time. Lovely place.
2013 Sea Species:- Bass, Flounder, 5 Beard Rockling, Shore Rockling, Whiting, red gurnard, grey gurnard, Pollack, coley, mackerel, sea trout, cant remember cos I didn't update at the time.....
2012 Sea species:- Pollack, Coley, Mackerel, Cod, Bass, Sea Trout, Haddock, Plaice, Dab, Flounder, Red Gurnard, Grey Gurnard, Pouting, Whiting, Corkwing Wrasse, Ballan Wrasse, Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Brown Trout caught on beach.
2011 Sea species:- codling, L.S. dogfish, coley, whiting, pollack(4lb 3oz), sea trout, shore conger eel (15lb), ballan wrasse, grey gurnard, plaice, dab (and lobster).
cathalger
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Der Baron » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:41 am

cathalger wrote:Paul where are you going on Mull? I was there in 1993 , was fishing in freshwater that time. Lovely place.

Cathal, we are staying at a campsite, on the sound of Mull, close to the ferry terminal, but no tent required, they provide ready made heavy duty canvas chalets. Excellent value for money. I go there regularly and fish both the wild brown lochs, and sea marks. I have come to know several good rock marks all around the island. One particular place has 20 fathoms of water at low tide, and fishes at all states. It is paradise. I have had wrasse to 5lb and pollack to 8lb right under my feet. The best thing is there's a pub right outside the Campsite, and we are there for a week. Magic!!!!!
DER BARON
Der Baron
SAI Bait Ball

Postby johncodown » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:54 am

Nice looking flies and look like they will work...as for the pollack I wouldnt be without a crazy charlie or two one of the best patterns to tempt them when they wont take bigger flies..
johncodown
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby Der Baron » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:37 pm

johncodown wrote:Nice looking flies and look like they will work...as for the pollack I wouldnt be without a crazy charlie or two one of the best patterns to tempt them when they wont take bigger flies..

Yeah John, a nice little shrimp pattern well worth having in you flybox, and if the pollack don't want it, hopefully the wrasse will
DER BARON
Der Baron
SAI Bait Ball

Postby cathalger » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:30 am

Der Baron wrote:
cathalger wrote:Paul where are you going on Mull? I was there in 1993 , was fishing in freshwater that time. Lovely place.

Cathal, we are staying at a campsite, on the sound of Mull, close to the ferry terminal, but no tent required, they provide ready made heavy duty canvas chalets. Excellent value for money. I go there regularly and fish both the wild brown lochs, and sea marks. I have come to know several good rock marks all around the island. One particular place has 20 fathoms of water at low tide, and fishes at all states. It is paradise. I have had wrasse to 5lb and pollack to 8lb right under my feet. The best thing is there's a pub right outside the Campsite, and we are there for a week. Magic!!!!!

Sounds the biz alright. That deep mark sounds bloody great. I read about good brownie lochs in the north of Mull called the Mishnish lochs. When I was there we got the bus down to the SW corner (near Bunessan) and camped at a loch called Assapol. We were told in a tackle shop in Oban it gets good runs of sea trout. There for a week we didnt see a sea trout but on the final evening I managed a 3lb 10oz grilse from the shore on a 4 gram toby. The browns in Assapol average about 3oz so dont be targetting brown trout down there. Ask if the sea trout fishing is any good on Assapol these days when you are over there?

Cathal.
cathalger
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Der Baron » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:01 pm

Cathal,I've fished the Mishnish Lochs a fantastic setting, and very cheap days fishing. Small fish but the odd one over a pound, but great sport on a 5# rod, apparently the better Brown Lochs are the ones in the North of the island. We are heading out the 1st week of Sept. Absolutely busting to get at it...but I'm sure we'll get another session together after July!
DER BARON
Der Baron
SAI Bait Ball

Postby nobuzz » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:10 pm

Why do people always use blue to imitate macks. Surely a nice green would be closer to nature. Do macks not turn blue when they've been dead for a while.

Having said that, two very nice looking flies.
Species List 2012 (Me) - Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Plaice, Codling, pollack, dab, SS Scorpion Fish, Ballan Wrasse, Codling.

Species List 2012 (Daniel) - Not got started yet :-(
nobuzz
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby johncodown » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:01 pm

nobuzz wrote:Why do people always use blue to imitate macks.

google underwater pics of mack you will see that blue is the most vivid colour along with silver..
johncodown
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby smurfy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:57 pm

they are smashing flies ,well done , nothing like the satisfaction of catching on a fly you made yourself. i might try to copy if thats cool , i think the pike will like these . any chance of a materials list ? crystal flash i am familiar with , what did you use for eyes? are they to add weight also ?
'' always think like a fish , no matter how weird it gets ''
smurfy
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby JimH » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:52 pm

JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Next

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing