seatrout flies

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

seatrout flies

Postby pete85 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:18 pm

hi lads new to the forum... what flies and what sizes work for seatrout in the salt... often had follows of trout while fishing bass but only occasionally had any hook ups... is fly size important?
pete85
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: seatrout flies

Postby kieran » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:41 pm

hi

anything with a flash of silver works for me, especially in lower light conditions.
Look at Stoat, Alexandra, Butcher and Teal & Red patterns.
Red is my choice, other people go for light blue and whatever...

Size depends on what you expect to encounter... smaller is better to start with...

FWIW
Kieran Hanrahan

Time spent fishing is never time wasted...

2015 targets - a triggerfish, a specimen bass, a three bearded rockling to complete the set and something big and toothy from certain north Mayo deep water marks
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby whiting2k9 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:59 pm

daddy long legs or the hares ear or the best
species list 2010:codling,whiting,goby,pouting,poor cod,dab,lsd,mackeral,pollock
whiting2k9
SAI Bait Ball

Postby johnfish » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:42 pm

not too sure about that in the salt
johnfish
SAI Bait Ball

Postby pike man » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:53 pm

teal blue and silver
pike man
SAI Lug Worm

Postby husshunter » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:45 pm

Peter ross tied on a size 6 with about 3 inch wing with lureflash going through can you tie your own
husshunter
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby pete85 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:36 pm

thanks for the replies lads.. it looks like more traditional flies are the order of the day... will have have to tie up a few flies and give them a bash as soon as these easterlys swing round... anyone able to put up any pictures of there proven patterns...
pete85
SAI Lug Worm

Postby cathalger » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:17 am

I know this is an old post but I had my first real success this year with sea trout in saltwater(on fly that is) Look up Rogans Gadget, Falkus sunk lure and tie a few size 8-12 Squirrel blue n silver, basically a TBS with no tail and sparse grey squirrel wing instead of teal wing. try retrieving as fast as you possibly can if you know you are fishing over sea trout.

Dont underestimate the gadget, very good, pollack and coley love it too.
2013 Sea Species:- Bass, Flounder, 5 Beard Rockling, Shore Rockling, Whiting, red gurnard, grey gurnard, Pollack, coley, mackerel, sea trout, cant remember cos I didn't update at the time.....
2012 Sea species:- Pollack, Coley, Mackerel, Cod, Bass, Sea Trout, Haddock, Plaice, Dab, Flounder, Red Gurnard, Grey Gurnard, Pouting, Whiting, Corkwing Wrasse, Ballan Wrasse, Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Brown Trout caught on beach.
2011 Sea species:- codling, L.S. dogfish, coley, whiting, pollack(4lb 3oz), sea trout, shore conger eel (15lb), ballan wrasse, grey gurnard, plaice, dab (and lobster).
cathalger
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 150 times

Postby cathalger » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:19 pm

Here are the 3 patterns I caught sea trout on this year, near but not in estuaries. Had 7 in total on fly.
Attachments
Rogans Gadget -30 August 10, Cdun.JPG
Rogans Gadget. Good all rounder, especially when there are small sandeel about.
Rogans Gadget -30 August 10, Cdun.JPG (140.07 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
3 Aug 10, 2lb 4oz white trout, Cdall beach low tide, 10.10pm (74).JPG
2lb 4oz sea trout on the squirrel blue n silver size 10, 1lb on falkus sunk lure, Aug 2010.
3 Aug 10, 2lb 4oz white trout, Cdall beach low tide, 10.10pm (74).JPG (260.47 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
2013 Sea Species:- Bass, Flounder, 5 Beard Rockling, Shore Rockling, Whiting, red gurnard, grey gurnard, Pollack, coley, mackerel, sea trout, cant remember cos I didn't update at the time.....
2012 Sea species:- Pollack, Coley, Mackerel, Cod, Bass, Sea Trout, Haddock, Plaice, Dab, Flounder, Red Gurnard, Grey Gurnard, Pouting, Whiting, Corkwing Wrasse, Ballan Wrasse, Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Brown Trout caught on beach.
2011 Sea species:- codling, L.S. dogfish, coley, whiting, pollack(4lb 3oz), sea trout, shore conger eel (15lb), ballan wrasse, grey gurnard, plaice, dab (and lobster).
cathalger
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby fisherman95 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:29 am

I really like the simplicity of the rogans gadget &it will take pollock and mackeral as well
fisherman95

Postby cathalger » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:21 am

fisherman95 wrote:I really like the simplicity of the rogans gadget &it will take pollock and mackeral as well

Youve fished it then? Its good. I flogged a bit of water near rocks but over sand at low tide, where I saw sea trout jumpin, back in August. I was using a sunk lure for a good while and only getting small pollack. The trout kept jumping now and again, well within range. 1st cast with a gadget took one (a pounder) where the sunk lure was ignored on that particular evening. But have to say the sunk lure got me my best sea trout and pollack last season.

Gadget doesnt look like much in the water but it pulls fish. Where do you do your sea trout fishing?

Any flies youd recommend?
cathalger
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby LennyH » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:10 am

Was out on Friday evening and this is all that was working. Hope pic attaches. Its only about 1.5-2 inches long. but caught seatrout and hering. Its a size 10 hook with about 8 strands of olive DNA tied on top of the shank and the same of ashwood DNA on the bottom. Both tapered. Finished with 3d eyes and seeles with clear gue gel.
Attachments
phone 485.jpg
Sandeel
phone 485.jpg (16.91 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
LennyH
SAI Lug Worm

Postby LennyH » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:18 am

Forgot to mention it was an estuary I was fishing. I fished three altogether. One on the end and two droppers to try and imitate a small shoal.
LennyH
SAI Lug Worm

Postby cathalger » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:40 pm

Lenny, very good fishing, that fly really looks the biz, what is DNA and who makes it? Thats a wee sandeel lookin at ye.
cathalger
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Shambo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:54 pm

cathalger wrote:what is DNA and who makes it?

http://www.uksaltwaterflies.com/acatalo ... ibres.html
Shambo
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 18 times

Postby LennyH » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Hey Cathal. DNA is the name of the company and the product is called frosty fish fibers. Shambo is on the spot as that is the site I got it off. The two colours can be hard to come by and the Ashwood does go out of stock on a regular basis. The olive is medium. I use another product of theirs alot. It's Holo Chromosome Flash. The white I use for all my flash and the black is a cheap substitute for peacock herl and really does look well. All of the DNA stuff does look very crude when tying but wet it a little and it takes on an incredable fish like shape. If you fancy trying it before you buy some drop me a PM with your address and I'll send you on some.
LennyH
SAI Lug Worm

Postby cathalger » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:07 am

LennyH wrote:Hey Cathal. DNA is the name of the company and the product is called frosty fish fibers. Shambo is on the spot as that is the site I got it off. The two colours can be hard to come by and the Ashwood does go out of stock on a regular basis. The olive is medium. I use another product of theirs alot. It's Holo Chromosome Flash. The white I use for all my flash and the black is a cheap substitute for peacock herl and really does look well. All of the DNA stuff does look very crude when tying but wet it a little and it takes on an incredable fish like shape. If you fancy trying it before you buy some drop me a PM with your address and I'll send you on some.

Lenny, Shambo, thanks for the heads up on the DNA frosty fish fibres, I must get some, Lenny your sleek little fly looks deadly. Lookin forward to trying that out when the sea trout start gathering up on these shores.
cathalger
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing