Timing of the hit

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Timing of the hit

Postby JPS » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:02 am

After last weekend where Mike , Miro , Lee and I had a session down at South Barwon reserve we decided that it would be goood to once again get out and do a short session at the Park.

As a number of you would know the South Barwon reserve is a flood plain next to the Barwon River and as such the recent rains has left it once more very wet and muddy.

Still not to be detered we decided a session was worth while and worst case we could cast from the cricket pitch and send the leads to the back of the fields that were a little drier regardless of which direction the wind was coming from as we were all just wanting to brush up on the technique.

Mick was consolidating on the earlier lesson and it was a pleasure to see how he had improved and how the distances were far more consistent.

(Mick Bending one up - focus on his left will see the distances going up even further )

( Left arm bending just a bit too much at the point of the hit )

Graham also decided that a session on technique would be advantagous and after a discussion with Lee and I focused on getting his step correected so that it wasn't too wide which as causing him to over extend and pass his centre of balance.
Casting with his Century TT Super matech and Penn 525 Mag loaded with 20 pound Ultima red ice, which is one of his prefered fishing outfits saw his consistentence up there as well as a more relaxed cast overall.

( Graham with a less extended stance and a more controlled cast )

Lee was just chilling out casting his Century Grand Prix which started his love affair with Century rods and he still gets the leads right out there with it. The feel of this rod is excellent and I even had a hit with it and it felt good , where when I first tried it 5 years ago my thoughts were that it was very stiff. Now after learning more about the casting I find the rod a real pleasure to use.

( Lee Bending the Gran Prix before sending the 150 gram out of sight - it was interesting to see the reel spooled :shock: )

([img]The%20distances%20produced%20in%20the%20humid%20still%20conditions%20were%20very%20pleasing%20to%20this%20young%20man[/img])

Well I must say that I am still trying to come to terms with turning slower but it is still work in progress, the casting of the 200 gram leads is helping me a lot and with my trusty E1000 matched up to my Penn 525 T mag . Distances were not too bad but as expected not where I want them to be . I can bend the rod up but need to do it at the right time to get the lead out there.

( The little bloke bending up the E1000 with the 200 gram )

Hopefully in the coming weeks we can organise a field that isn't under water and therefore get a group of the guys down for a training session.
My strong suggestion is for people to have a close look at the latest of Lee's video's and get that swing and lead possition sorted and once that is under controll start to focus on the left arm pull aspect of the hut.

( Bent rod looks good but it's still too early :cry: )

As you can see from the two photo's the cast is reasonably consistent I just need to re-tune the timing to get better results.

All the best till the next report :D
JPS
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 18 times

Re: Timing of the hit

Postby Gilks » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:07 pm

:mrgreen: :D :P

Fair play, looks like an interesting and worthwhile exercise. Interesting to see the body positions during the cast. How far were you casting?
Gilks

Re: Timing of the hit

Postby JPS » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:18 pm

We weren't measuring the distances but mine weren't going as far as I would have liked, hitting too early still so was loosing a lot of the power that should have come from the rod.

Lee Andrews was hitting some very good distances but once agin we were measuring so can't say accurately.

Regards :D
JPS
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 18 times

Return to Casting