gulp

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

gulp

Postby steve t » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:41 pm

The St Stephens Day Gulp Challenge

When I met Blowin at the slip we both had bought a couple of packets of gulp, was this going to be our new secret weapon.? Without further ado we steamed, (well crawled, visibility was virtually nil due to fog) to a mark on other side of the bay, anchor was dropped and rods set up. One set up with gulp lug, one with frozen black lug, one with shrimp rig baited with mackerel and one with mackerel fillet and squid. The shrimp rigs soon had a couple of dabs aboard, next came a doggie to the mackerel and squid, alas our gulp remained fishless. We moved to some very rough ground where I used a gulp rag on a long trace like a jelly worm and Blowin plugged away with the shrimp rigs, result, wrasse ,coaly , and a couple of small Pollack, all to the shrimps. Next we drifted over some broken ground, baited hokkais and shrimp rigs both got cuckoo wrasse, and the gulp ran true to form and caught nothing. On the way back we stopped for some whiting , done a few drifts but remained fishless. This spot usually has plenty about, what was spoiling the fishing? The neap tide? The easterly wind? Or were the whiting to busy laughing at the gulp bait???
steve t

Postby BigPhil » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:33 pm

have seen 2 inch sections of the gulp lug take turbot on the shore recently and i have tried the gulp white rag and taken coalies and codling and flounder on it from the beach also in recent weeks!!.....they were fairly thick on the ground though and were taking pretty much everything that was thrown at them!!
Not the BigPhil from Irish Angler mag, I'm the original, i swear!!!!
BigPhil
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby squalus » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:13 pm

I've had reasonable success on the gulp shads fished "jerkbait" style for pollack.
squalus
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Conor H » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:46 pm

Have fished Gulp grubs with great success off Tory for Pollock - they fish as good as firetails - not as good as mackerel belly strips though, but then again , what is !?
-----------------------------
Cheers

Conor
<)))))><
-----------------------------
Conor H
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby BigPhil » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:51 pm

sometimes the back strips!! :wink:
Not the BigPhil from Irish Angler mag, I'm the original, i swear!!!!
BigPhil
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 13 times

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports