Boat marks/species reachable from Bangor Marina, Co Down

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Boat marks/species reachable from Bangor Marina, Co Down

Postby tribar » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:38 pm

New to this, and have a 18ft boat in the marina. What type of species could i get,and where. Heard it's good near the copelands, and ballylumford direction?
tribar

Postby raymondo » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:29 pm

the copeland islands for pollack the rig (near D'Dee)for good general mixed fishing. the maidens near larne a bit of a steam but excellent for wrasse/pollack. the gobbins cliffs err more pollack there are a few good ray marks mid lough but those that know them tend to keep quiet about them. oh! you will get mackeral just about any where and herring in season at blackhead. but i'm sure that the county down expertsK2 and others will do better than this :!:
raymondo

Postby phenwick mist » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:04 pm

irish wrecks online hae gps nos for wrecks.
phenwick mist

Postby squalus » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:13 pm

If this year's anything to go by I would stay clear of the Blackhead, Gobbins, Portmuck, Ballylumford area. The Maidens can turn up things every now and again.
squalus
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby geomac » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:32 pm

would agree with squalus the fishing was dire this year have fished these marks for 30 years [10 years skippering club boats] never seen it as bad. only consolation is that I know the ray marks and we get some sport [we being myself and some mates].may sound selfish keeping these marks to myself but have seen boxes of ray dumped on the shore .we return all ray we catch and until i know a person will respect that i;ll not divulge the marks [except for K2 extreme who was helpful with marks lately]
geomac

Postby BigPhil » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:45 pm

geomac, just out of interest what species, size, numbers of ray are you getting at the marks? i wont be fishing the boats anyway down your direction but just trying to get an account of ray fishing around our coast up here over the past few years shore and boat.also what time of year?pm me if you prefer please?
Not the BigPhil from Irish Angler mag, I'm the original, i swear!!!!
BigPhil
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 13 times

rays

Postby geomac » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:37 pm

hi bigphil not as plentiful as past years but still some good sport mostly thornbacks some homelyn &cuckoo ray as for numbers &weight will pm you :shock:
geomac

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports