Newbie question on distance

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Newbie question on distance

Postby fluffchuckerkb » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:22 pm

I'm new to SWFF and wondered when targetting bass what's the average length of cast? I'm using an 8wt intermediate clear line.
fluffchuckerkb
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Newbie question on distance

Postby JimH » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:07 pm

Dont get caught up in the distance cycle - better to try to concentrate on making good presentations at your best distance than poor ones at range.

Consider that with a #8 and a 3 inch deceiver with a

Side wind from the left conditions feel relatively easy and casting (if your a right hander) will be good.
Side wind from the right (if your a right hander) and things become a little more difficult and potentially dangerous as the fly tracks close to you. It might be worthwhile learning to cast backwards.
Wind straight on and things are tough - try to keep casting form good and do not force your cast but try to do everything a little better - nice stops, tighter loops, line aimed down at the water. Relax into it.

Consider the above again and imagine you are fishing on the south coast - wind from the left means from the east not a good sign for bass fishing, wind from the right means south westerly and wind straight on southerly - both good times for fishing but demanding of your skills - fish are often closer but conditions are often tougher

If your best cast over grass in good conditions is 22 metres - what is your best cast when faced with two foot waves and a force four headwind with a 4 inch flatwing on board?

Knowing where the fish are, their behaviour, feeding and location to within 100 feet and then catching one on the fly is one of anglings great challenges - distance is a 'tool' you need yes but only one of many.

This fish http://www.probassfisher.com/2009/09/tw ... n-fly.html was caught at ten meters - many others are caught further out or even closer in.
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby fluffchuckerkb » Wed May 05, 2010 3:58 pm

[quote="JimH"]Dont get caught up in the distance cycle - better to try to concentrate on making good presentations at your best distance than poor ones at range...
... If your best cast over grass in good conditions is 22 metres - what is your best cast when faced with two foot waves and a force four headwind with a 4 inch flatwing on board?

Knowing where the fish are, their behaviour, feeding and location to within 100 feet and then catching one on the fly is one of anglings great challenges - distance is a 'tool' you need yes but only one of many.

:arrow: Thanks for that Jim H. I've managed to catch a few good ones on the fly - by best was a 12lb bass (whcih went back) about 4 metres in front of me in an estuary tide rip - but I wondered was my casting limitations (to be honest I'd be lucky to get a cast 20/25 metres while fishing) hampering my ability to catch a few more? While I'm not hung up on the distance I'd like to be able to cast further and just wondered what was the average seasoned SWFFers achieved?
regards and tight lines to all
fluffchuckerkb
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby JimH » Wed May 05, 2010 5:25 pm

Many can achieve 35/40 yards - is it necessary or would it restrict your catching if you cant achieve this, i don't think so !
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing