Conservation

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Conservation

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:40 pm

I think too much of this website is taking up by people talking about conservation. Its the commericial fishermen that do all the damage not us.

Postby liamdenn » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:00 pm

fair enough point. but you can do a fair bit of damage to a reef in a couple of days as far as bass as concerned. look at the post there about the 60 bass taken in a few days. you could clean a reef out of its resident fish which are slow growing at the best of times1
liamdenn
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby BigPhil » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:12 pm

could anyone putting new posts up please register to the forums before they start to critise them??i agree with your point on the commercial men but if anglers were to continually take home their catch there will be even less fish there to catch so conservation is a major part in sea fishing these days.
Not the BigPhil from Irish Angler mag, I'm the original, i swear!!!!
BigPhil
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby col » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:49 pm

It may be the commercials who do most of the damage but these are not going to think about conservation, unfortunately, as it is their livelihood, so for them, the more fish they catch now the better and forget about tomorrow(the same approch a lot of people take with different things in life).
This is very unfortunate but somebody has to do something and the government or commercial fishermen aren't doing much so it is then left up to us to do the best we can, even if we are not the ideal people as we can’t do as much as the others mentioned could.
col
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby x » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:14 am

Hi, guest. I moved your post. If you want to comment on any aspect of conservation, this is the place for it.

If you're not happy with the content of the forums or website in general, the Website Development forum might have been a better place to air that view.

We created the conservation forum to keep the conservation issues out of the other areas of interest - a number of registered users agreed this was the way to go.

On of the aims of the SAI SAC and this website is to promote conservation in any way possible. I think the vast majority of members of the club and registered users of the forums would agree.

While anglers are not the main cause of declining marine stocks and environment, we can do our bit to limit the impact of our passtime. If we can also be a voice of reason and perhaps draw attention to the problems facing the marine environment as a whole, I don't see anything wrong with that. It's long past time that somebody spoke out.

While we encourage feedback and debate on any issue - and I'm trying hard here not to sound nasty or sarcastic to anyone - if you've followed the forums for a bit you'll see that guest posts tend to be held in fairly low regard. I guess this is a reflection on the fact that a fair proportion of anonymous posts lack any real intelligent content and indeed are often just sniping attacks that the individuals in question would be ashamed to put their name to if there was any avoiding it.

While we have the capacity to restrict posts to registered users, we have decided so far not to do this, in keeping with the open and inclusive spirit of the club and website.

My message here is simple. If you actually believe what you are happy to post anonymously, please register. If you have nothing useful to contribute (constructive criticism is welcome) and don't like the content of the site.....
x

Postby BigPhil » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:55 pm

well said sandman!
Not the BigPhil from Irish Angler mag, I'm the original, i swear!!!!
BigPhil
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 13 times

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions