casting techniques

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

casting techniques

Postby ka17614 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:16 pm

I have read "casting techniques" etc on this site and even trolled through google, but I am having difficulty finding information regarding where you hold your hands, how to best hold the line and which side the reel should be on when casting.

I get the impression that these questions are rarely asked, but I am a complete nooblar at fishing, and what may seem obvious to experienced anglers aint so much from where I stand.

I have been out a few times, caught crabs and rocks but no fish, lost a 'lot' of tackle ( I am now rigging my own, and this is every bit as consuming as the fishing) and had me and the boy some fun out for the day (which is really what it is all about anyway, he being 7).

So, my question is not, 'how do you swing your rod?' , but 'where is the reel pointing and what do I do with my line so as not to amputate a finger? '

Assume I know nothing, and understand even less

Thanks for any assistance given

ps: I did some practise in a field, even lost rig here as well, as weight got buried 6" in the mud, and I yanked on the line and broke the main.
ka17614

Postby b0ogaloo » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:36 pm

Have a look at some of the videos on the link below

http://www.longcasters.org/movielist.htm

Might give you some idea's

b0ogaloo
b0ogaloo

help

Postby Tryer » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:39 pm

Hello ka17614,

Find a post from "beachcaster" and drop a line to him. He seems to have Sean Neill's phone number. He's the one to talk to if you want to know what to do.
Tryer

casting

Postby fenitbob » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:47 pm

I'm assuming that you have a fixed spool reel and you are right handed:

1. your left hand is holding the rod somewhere between the reel and the butt of the rod normally quiet close to the butt but (sorry!) still on handle part of the rod.

2. your right hand is at or just above the reel. It is positioned so that when your finger is holding the line before a cast the line comes off the reel and is held by your finger at right angles to the rod.

this might mean that one or two of your fingers are behind the bar of reel this is fine...

try to find a book by a guy Tony Whieldon Sea Fishing. which gives an easy to follow guide to fishing using lots of diagrams. shows how to tie knots rigs etc I found it very good when I was startin out.
fenitbob
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby Cisco » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:08 pm

Hello ka17614,

Good to see your post on correct casting. I'm a complete novice myself but learning slowly by looking at the others. I was given once the following address, but never tried it. Aparently this guy gives casting lessons. Might be of any use....

Steve Gillet
Anglers Lodge
Beaufort
Killarney
Tel: 064-44559

-C
Cisco

Postby Donagh » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:55 pm

For basic over head casting I found imagine your swinging an axe at a point 45 degrees up in the sky. Stops you thrashing the rod. Keep the drop length short less than 3 feet and the rod tip low so your swing arc is large.

For more advanced casting tschniques the best web site I've seen for describing casting techniques is here:

http://www.johnholden.co.uk/basics/how_to_cast.html

Mike Thrussel has a piece on his web site including multiplier tuning:

http://www.worldseafishing.com/shore/

BUut their no substitute for a casting instructor.

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby bigcol » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:29 pm

Lads,as I have said on previous threads I highly recommend Steve Gillet however I would be careful about posting personal phone numbers on the site.Perhaps a better way to give people numbers is to pm them to each other.
col
bigcol
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Tryer » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:09 pm

According to his location indicator Ka 17614 is from the Belfast area. Sean Neill Lives in Bangor which is only an easy 12 or 13 mile drive away. I have no knowledge of Steve Gillet but i'm sure he's very good at what he does, I know Sean is. The problem is Killarney is a fare bit further away than Bangor.

Sean has been a registered casting instructor since the mid 1980's and has taught dozens of anglers and tournament casters alike. Of course the choice of instructor is down to Ka 17614 if he decides to take up the challenge to learn to cast. I am only trying to help out a fellow angler with a casting instructor who's practically on his doorstep.

I also agree with what you say about not putting telephone numbers on a public forum. That's why I have said before to ring the local tackle shops as they can provide the number and maybe even an introduction to the person. Only trying to help.
Tryer

Return to Casting