Fly rod for both SWFF and lake/rivers, does it exist?

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Fly rod for both SWFF and lake/rivers, does it exist?

Postby lasercat » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:32 am

Hi there,

I was planning to buy a fly rod and reel for salmon and trout before the fishing season opens in Feb. I was wondering of there is a set that will cater for both SWFF and lake/river fly fishing? I have never gone SWFFing and am a novice on the lakes but I would like to get into both this year.

Can anyone recommend a rod and reel/line that will do both? If such a thing exists. If it helps I will be fishing on Corrib and Mask and the river around these lakes for trout and salmon. SWFF would be done in Wicklow.

I don't want to part with too much money for this initially so a decent budget set up will suffice.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Target species for 2010 = 30
lasercat
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Fly rod for both SWFF and lake/rivers, does it exist?

Postby MAC » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:48 pm

will you be fishing Corrib & Mask off a boat?
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby lasercat » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:05 pm

Mostly from a boat but will be fishing from the little pier at ashford castle and will also be fishing the Moy the odd time.
lasercat
SAI Lug Worm

Postby MAC » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:09 pm

I do all of the types of fishing you have listed and like many have built up a collection of fly rods over the years that cater for the different situations...

If I were to choose just one Rod to cover everything I would be looking at a 10 foot 8 weight Rod. The new Greys GRXi are a decent rod for the cash.

The 8 weight will be a little light if you are SWFF in anything other that a light breeze, but most people starting off SWFF will only fish a light breeze anyway as it can be difficult to get a cast going in a moderate breeze. a 3 or 4lb pollock will put a fantastic bend in such a rod and you will really enjoy these powerful fish on the fly.

The 8 weight will be perfectly at home on the Corrib. Not great for dibbling the wets which is why I normally fish an 11foot 7 weight, but the 10ft 8wt will be grand. It will also cope with the salmon flies as well.

The only place I would not like to use the above rod is River fishing for Trout as I like to fish much lighter, but again, it will do the job just fine, it's just you wont feel too much from the light trout on such a powerful rod.

I hope that gets you moving in the right direction. If you have any other questions please fire away.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Postby lasercat » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:23 pm

Thanks MAC, I cant seem to find a 10ft #8 on the internet, there is a 9ft #8/9, do you think that would suffice?
lasercat
SAI Lug Worm

Postby MAC » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:39 pm

The 9ft 8/9 would be a full SWFF rod. It would be a difficult rod to load and get a cast moving on a boat and also would be way OTT off the river.

I'll have a look at a few sites and get back to you.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Postby MAC » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:48 pm

Try this one

http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Categor ... oryID=2230

Daiwa Wilderness Fly Rod - €100 ish.... Nice beginner Rod and good value for the money.

Also on the same page

Greys Platinum XD Competition Special - Built for Rainbow Trout Stockie bashing in the UK. This is €200 ish, but would be a decent all rounder and would be that bit lighter than the Daiwa.

The Wychwood Quest Fly Rod is also worth looking at. Never cast these, but it looks like very nice rod for the money.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing