Victorian & NSW Results 28th/29th November

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Victorian & NSW Results 28th/29th November

Postby JPS » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:23 pm

Well conditions yesterday were very good with the wind coming from the south with switches from south east to south west making for interesting casting. We had a threat of rain but were spared that with only an occasional light shower and the bulk of the wet stuff missing us for most of the day. Barometric pressure was sub 1000 and the temperature was reasonable. The flies that have made the Ozzie salute well known were out in their 1000's and if wasn't for the repellent that graham and I had we would have been eaten alive

Turnout for the event was low as at this time of year family issues are stepping up so we only had a few members , Lee Andrew's , Nick Pasinis, Graham Smith, Graham Johnson and I well the only one available but the casting was very impressive with a number of Pb's being recorded by 3 of us.
Nick took top honours with a fantastic cast of 255 meters on the 100 gram , this was his first attempt at this weight and if his smile was anything to go by won’t be the last time we see the little lead blasting off into the distance. Nick also hit a great 150 gram distances of 252 meters and a 240+ 125 gram to round of a very impressive day of casting for the big guy

Graham Smith was also going from strength to strength with a new PB of 172+ meters with his fishing set up of Century TTLD and Penn 525 Mag and .31 line and 125 gram lead. Advancement for Graham was his first attempt with the reel mounted down the butt of the rod. As someone who has helped Graham with his cast it gave me a great deal of pleasure seeing the smile on his face as he belted the lead away down the field.

(Graham, Lee and Nick taking a break during the casting)

Lee Andrews also threw an impressive 245 meter cast but Lee wasn't happy with a number of casts cracking off , lack of time due to work commitments has seen no chance for practice casts and the frustration on his face was evident. The next round of comps will be very interesting as casters from NSW show that Lee will have to work at getting into top form if he is to retain his Australian Championship title in next years main event in June.
But as we have seen in the past when all members are putting themselves to the test with the head to head pressure of the big day he has the ability to rise to the occasion and cast with the flair and grace that puts him at the top of the leader board

(Lee Andrews – Current Australian Champion for 2009)

Graham Johnson’s casting was also coming along with improvements in his style showing that he isn't too far from cracking the 200 meter barrier. The arch that Graham is getting only requires a bit more hold of on the hit for the bigger distances to be extracted, and I look forward to shaking his hand when he hits his goal
It should also be mentioned that once again Grahams support of the club with the running of the leader board , Ultima Shock leader spooling station and providing the rest of us less prepared members with clips, line and leads is very much appreciated.
A great service from a top bloke who has be an asset to the club both on and off the field, Thanks mate

(Graham and his mobile tackle store with Ultima Shock leader Spooling Station )

My casting was also very pleasing seeing me hit 3 new PB's , breaking the 240 barrier in comp on the 100 gram . It feels great to get that monkey off my back and with my new back to basic style making my casting far more consistent and producing very good distance.
Once I get the feel of letting the lead get into better position and me not rushing into the turn and just belting the leads as hard as I can will see improvements, I am certain of that.
Thanks to my mates in the UK (Lew & the Big Man) for the bit of advice that I needed to build my cast on a style that I could get consistent results from and to then build up improvements in the fundamentals.
The other highlight of the day was another PB of 224+ meters on the baby 75 gram lead. I loved the way the Tip Tornado Sport was able to spit this light weight down field and yet have the capability with the larger weights.
The E1000 however took top distances honours for this little bloke and I look forward to the possibility of getting a shorter version in the future as I now that Century is onto a winner with this rod.
Remember guys that we need to match rods to our individual build and bigger and longer isn't always better for the smaller (in my case Shorter) caster.

Thanks to everyone who made it a great day out with mates.

Here is some Video Footage

[url]"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlKnQJKhN_0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlKnQJKhN_0[/url]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qlKnQJKhN_0
Also here are the NSW casters results c/o Scott Selby.

3 casters today - Ces Selby, Scott Selby and Gary Bonner.

Conditions - approximately 30 degrees - North East winds between 15 - 25 kilometres per hour

Results

18 gram plug fixed spool
Ces Selby - 116 metres (Australian record)

18 gram plug revolving drum
Ces Selby - 108 metres (Australian record)

75 gram
Gary Bonner - 208 meters (personal best)

100 gram
Scott Selby - 260 metres (Australian record)
Gary Bonner - 232 metres (personal best)
Ces Selby - 214 metres

125 gram
Scott Selby - 269.50 metres (Australian record)
Ces Selby - 223 metres

150 gram
Scott Selby - 262 metres

175 gram
Scott Selby - 253 metres

4 cast aggregate
Scott Selby - 1044.50 metres (Australian record)

A great day - and Ultima Distance line now holds 2 Australian records.

Regards:wiggle:
JPS
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 18 times

Re: Victorian & NSW Results 28th/29th November

Postby AG » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:39 am

jeremy try and open up more on your hit , get your left foot more to the left when turning , it seems like your screwed up a bit because you hit an load the rod so fast :wink:
AG
Need your account moneys for new Zziplex

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby JPS » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:33 pm

Will be working on the cast as it is the first time i have used it in comp and only the third time out on the field with it. I am finding that I can refine little things easier as there are less movements involved compared to my previous style.

We will be having another casting day on the 13th.
JPS
SAI Hammerhead

Postby AG » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:16 pm

JPS wrote:Will be working on the cast as it is the first time i have used it in comp and only the third time out on the field with it. I am finding that I can refine little things easier as there are less movements involved compared to my previous style.

We will be having another casting day on the 13th.

try your zti a rod with a more through action might work better ?
AG

Postby Jonny » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:50 pm

AG wrote:try your zti a rod with a more through action might work better ?

Mine worked for me last week 8) :D :D

Nice report Jeremy 8)
Last edited by Jonny on Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Photos

Casting Related Photos

Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.
Jonny
Wayward Legs

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby kstaff » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:33 am

Great report Jeremy, weldone to all, some great casting indeed!

Best Regards.
Blue n White is the new Black!!!
kstaff
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 308 times

Postby AG » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:17 am

Jonny wrote:
AG wrote:try your zti a rod with a more through action might work better ?

Mine worked for me last week 8) :D :D

Nice report Jeremy 8)

in case nobody knows jonny joined the 250 yard club
AG

Postby JPS » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:10 pm

Jonny ,

Congratulations on a top cast :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
JPS
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Jonny » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:04 pm

Just and no more 250-0-1 :oops: :D
My Photos

Casting Related Photos

Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.
Jonny
Wayward Legs

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby dbrock » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:39 am

well done johnny im looking to get into that club myself this year with any luck , ive to gain 8.06 mtrs from somewhere :cry:
andrew help :D
fintasticaquatics
http://www.ecrsac.com
EAST COAST RAIDERS MEMBER 2011
SPORTSCAST IRELAND 2011
dbrock
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 58 times

Postby AG » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:42 am

Jonny wrote:Just and no more 250-0-1 :oops: :D

better than 249-2-11 :D