pipe fish.

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

pipe fish.

Postby cortaz » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:11 am

anyone ever try a pipe fish fly?, i recon it could be very good, every yr. from now till november they form a big part of a basses diet, and again in the spring, maybe thats why the large black redgill is so good over the ruff :shock: , in the last yr or so i have gutted about 100 bass woulg guess 50/60 had eaten p. fish, and only 6/10 would have sandeels, a lot of species of seabirds have started to eat em, apparently there hads been a huge increse in numbers, and a decrese in sandeel,s.
What I said in public
"Bass, there future in your hands, support catch and release"
..but I'm a liar really
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=45629
cortaz
Convicted Poacher - No Shame

Have thanks: 131 times

Re: pipe fish.

Postby The Austrian » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:14 am

Haven't tried the flies Art, but got a load of these 20cm pipefish lures delivered just yesterday, we can give them a try next time when I'm down for a cup 8) :)
pipefish lures.png
pipefish lures.png (101.05 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.” - Dalai Lama
“Learn from Yesterday, Live for Today and Hope for Tomorrow.” - Albert Einstein
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Have thanks: 540 times

Postby craigo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:36 am

I was gettin a few bass i April with pipe fish hangin from its gills and out its mouth it was like they just smashed a load of them before hitting my hook . Diggin lugs another day and I found a pair of them it shallow water , they were as thick as a 2 euro coin and about a foot long mad lookin things they felt like leather
If I'm not gonna catch a fish , I may aswell not catch a BIG fish !
craigo
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby davearmstrong » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:44 am

Post a pic of the fly Art?
davearmstrong
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby cortaz » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:49 pm

don,t got 1 dave , :shock:
Attachments
pipe fish.jpg
pipe fish.jpg (55.58 KiB) Viewed 1766 times
Last edited by cortaz on Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What I said in public
..but I'm a liar really
cortaz

Postby The Austrian » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:25 pm

“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.” - Dalai Lama
“Learn from Yesterday, Live for Today and Hope for Tomorrow.” - Albert Einstein
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Have thanks: 540 times

Postby theshoreking » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:44 pm

Art,

the best imitation has always been the old style amber eel, much better for pipefish eaters than the big black redgill. Try get your hands on some amber rubber (like they use for the flying c)and cut the tail to a long vee point and lash it to a hook. Now heres the thing. The hook has to have a double bend in the long shank. The original hooks were like this but you can bend a long shank hook with a pliers to get the same effect. Add some painted on eyes and away you go. If you had magic heads or plastic veins like rapala lips youcould add these too but not essential if you bend the hook right. This imitation will also nail pollock. They fish well from rocks where you are fishing over kelp beds in particular.

Not really a fly as it aint got any feathers but it will work for you from a fly rod. I will look for some of the hooks and put up a pic for you when I find them.

sk
theshoreking

Postby cortaz » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:09 pm

theshoreking wrote:Art,

the best imitation has always been the old style amber eel, much better for pipefish eaters than the big black redgill. Try get your hands on some amber rubber (like they use for the flying c)and cut the tail to a long vee point and lash it to a hook. Now heres the thing. The hook has to have a double bend in the long shank. The original hooks were like this but you can bend a long shank hook with a pliers to get the same effect. Add some painted on eyes and away you go. If you had magic heads or plastic veins like rapala lips youcould add these too but not essential if you bend the hook right. This imitation will also nail pollock. They fish well from rocks where you are fishing over kelp beds in particular.

Not really a fly as it aint got any feathers but it will work for you from a fly rod. I will look for some of the hooks and put up a pic for you when I find them.

sk

in all honesty, jason how would know, :) ur only fishin less than a yr.
What I said in public
..but I'm a liar really
cortaz

Postby JOHN1 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:34 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: there is a lot of quick learners out there there known as experts :mrgreen:
Species Target (1) Anything will be a Bonus.

BALLYBRACK SAC.
EFSA.
SouthShore SAC.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 598 times

Postby dunner » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:45 pm

Hard to cast that??
dunner
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby cortaz » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:55 pm

2 true Jon, :)
Martain that looks like a bird :) nice though :)
Attachments
pip.jpg
pip.jpg (36.53 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
What I said in public
..but I'm a liar really
cortaz

Postby theshoreking » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:11 pm

cortaz wrote:

sk

Art,

the hooks I'm talking about are not made any more. They were on the original amber eels - used for pollack and bass mainly on handlines. I'm sure someone on the site who has been fishin a long time knows the ones I am on about. I will post up a pic of you of one of the hooks in the next few days. They are buried away in a box in the garage.

sk
theshoreking

Postby JOHN1 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:40 pm

the hook your trying to describe sk sounds like its a mustad 31022D jig hook :wink:
Species Target (1) Anything will be a Bonus.

BALLYBRACK SAC.
EFSA.
SouthShore SAC.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 598 times

Postby cortaz » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:04 pm

JOHN1 wrote:the hook your trying to describe sk sounds like its a mustad 31022D jig hook :wink:

8) :)
What I said in public
..but I'm a liar really
cortaz

Postby cortaz » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:29 pm

theshoreking wrote:
cortaz wrote:

sk

Art,

the hooks I'm talking about are not made any more. They were on the original amber eels - used for pollack and Bass mainly on handlines. I'm sure someone on the site who has been fishin a long time knows the ones I am on about. I will post up a pic of you of one of the hooks in the next few days. They are buried away in a box in the garage.

sk

so tell us S.K. how long u been seafishin?????????, :D remember i took ya out for thje first time 2 years back, and now ur catchin 50/60 eact session on fly :shock: , are you still posting under 3 different user names on the salmon fishing forum??, (j.o.r.,salmondoc,titunum)
:) must be weird talking to urself :shock: and recomending urself to urself, :lol: ,
What I said in public
..but I'm a liar really
cortaz

Postby clarky » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:53 pm

the pipe fish is a sea horse but is straight bodied . seen some good fly imitations of them before .the trick to the pipe fish is slow erratic bait movements .they are not naturally good swimmers and are easy pickings in open water. the question i would pose is that is a pipefish and a sand eel passed a bass which one would he take .alot easier to imitate a sand eel.

i know a guy who frequents the salmon fishing forum and he confirms the carry on of a said person on there.posting pictures of himself and then coming in under varying names singing his own praise. :oops: self indulgence ! .there was a guy who stated he got 17 bass on a fly rod in one session some where i heard:lol: :lol: same guy may have caught 2 or 3 fly fishing ever. i suppose we would not be true anglers if we did not add on a pound or two,but to fabricate whole sessions is another thing.i have one question for the anglers out there :D :D if u made up a whole session would u write it in your personal fishing journal :) :) are u then telling yourself lies??? where does it stop
illegitimate sea angler[color=#FF0040][/color]
clarky
SAI Lug Worm

Postby cortaz » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:15 am

something just crossed my mind, 8) :idea: maybe its because theres been a big increse in bass numbers,
What I said in public
..but I'm a liar really
cortaz

Postby clarky » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:50 pm

cortaz wrote:something just crossed my mind, 8) :idea: maybe its because theres been a big increse in Bass numbers,
what do u mean man?
illegitimate sea angler[color=#FF0040][/color]
clarky
SAI Lug Worm

Postby PaddyB » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:36 pm

lol at this thread, very good Art!
PaddyB
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 29 times

Postby lumpy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:34 pm

locked this..pointless discussion and off topic. keep the handbags to the pm's please
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing