Casting distance

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Casting distance

Postby flynnboy » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:45 pm

Hi Guys

I finally went out for my first ever saltwater fly fishing excursion today. I have been a freshwater salmon fly angler for some years but casting in the salt was quite different and I have a question.

I am used to using a double handed 13' rod and today I was using a Cam Siegler 9'6" #10 for the first time, single handed of course. On a river 'distance' is something governed by the boundaries of both river banks and is something you can fairly easily judge. In the sea today it was really quite different - In the vastness of the sea my casting distance seemed absolutely puny ! I was casting something like maybe 15 yds max. On a river this would seem okay and would not be a problem, but I have to say I thought XXXXX !!!! that's nothing - surely I am never going to catch a fish this close in ? It seemed like it was going nowhere.

Am I going to catch fish just 15 yds in from the shore ?
flynnboy
flynnboy
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 12 times

Re: Casting distance

Postby dunner » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:11 pm

practice over grass and you will see you are casting further than you think........ :wink:
dunner
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby TubeNFish » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:08 pm

Another point about fish holding features:
On any large body of water, the most significant feature is usually the edge, ie the shoreline.

Now for cod and deep sea species, you have a point, but for species that feed in the zone between the tides you're well in.
Norm
TubeNFish
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby dunner » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:31 am

:idea:
Last edited by dunner on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dunner
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby JimH » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:48 pm

FB

Dont confuse casting distance with success rate - most if not all of the fish I see landed here are caught at less than 20 yards. Last saturday I caught and returned two specimen fish on the fly, both were hooked at less than fifteen yards in two completely different locations.

Think about where, when, and technique rather than metres - its not easy at the beginning have a look here - remember its a difficult challenging but the most rewarding method

http://www.probassfisher.com/search/lab ... ing%20tips
http://www.probassfisher.com/search/lab ... %20fishing
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby flynnboy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:01 pm

Cheers Jim

I am not hung up on 'distance' as such. I just wanted to know if that was in the catching zone so that I didn't feel I was completely wasting my time. If that is in the 'zone' then I am quite happy to concentrate on other matters like technique etc. as you mention.

Just a final question on the casting - given a 9'6" #10 Siegler rod what would you say an average casting range would/should be with that set up ?

It was just such a surprise in the vastness of the sea to see how puny that distance is when compared to being on the river and it being quite an acceptable cast there.

Do you know any online resources or books that would give me info' on the preferred habitat of species like Pollack and Bass ?

FB
flynnboy
flynnboy
SAI Hammerhead

Postby theshoreking » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:36 pm

FB,

I know a guy who uses a 13ft dh rod very successfully for bass etc from the shore. If you are comfortable with the dh why not give it a try?

sk
theshoreking

Postby anthony2carr » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:07 pm

Some of the largest fish I ever caught on the fly have been caught hugging the structure I was fishing from. If you get onto double hauling you should be able to double that distance in no time. Don't be disheatened with the vastness of the sea, after all you are fishing over the kelp beds where the fish lie.
anthony2carr
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby flynnboy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Hi Guys thanks for the advice.

I will try my dh when I get the chance, and try not to be overwhelmed.

Can you tell me one further thing, is there any point in fly fishing the salt until next spring or is the 'season' for fly fishing the salt over also ? I am normally a freshwater fly fisher.

Cheers

FB
flynnboy
flynnboy
SAI Hammerhead

Postby dunner » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:10 pm

If the water clarity is good keep goin for another bit (weather allowing)...its all practice!
I was out spinning last november just to get out and i was sound asleep winding away when i hit a rock...i never struck and the "rock" woke up and i lost the best bass of the year i reckon......you never know.....I nearly had a bass last sat off the yak on the fly and a golden grey with some foul hook up's too ..the report is on my blog below.....
dunner
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby theshoreking » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:06 pm

I would agree. If the good conditions hold the fly will continue to work. Keep an eye on Jims site for an indication.

sk
theshoreking

Postby anthony2carr » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:08 pm

I first experimented with SWFF late December. Was going to give up , until I landed my first whitting. From there on I caught whitting wholesale , suprisingly close in and in even more suprisingly shallow water.

Water was very clear and air was very still.
anthony2carr
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby flynnboy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I'd say the conditions are pretty good at the moment with the water very clear and calm weather. I'm just waiting for some flies to arrive and I'll be out thrashing the salt.

Does anyone know of any good reference books for tying saltwater flies ?

FB
flynnboy
flynnboy
SAI Hammerhead

Postby anthony2carr » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:24 pm

I don't, but lefty Kreh shows you how to tie deceivers on youtube.
anthony2carr
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby flynnboy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:49 pm

Hi Anthony

I've just found this :

Essential Saltwater Flies: Step-by-Step Typing Instructions - 38 Indispensable Designs and Their Most Useful Variations (Paperback)
by Ed Jaworowski
ISBN 9780811734592

I've found a few different books at various prices but this seems to the best at the best price. If you buy from Amazon it's £12.95 (Sterling) + postage. I have actually found it also at the bookdepsitory.co.uk for 13 euro with free worldwide delivery. I just bought it from them.

Cheers

FB
flynnboy
flynnboy
SAI Hammerhead

Postby dunner » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:49 pm

I was out on the yak today...the water clarity was very poor ...no luck with the fly rod...but if the weather settles again???????
dunner
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby anthony2carr » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:36 pm

For the whitting, I could actually see them in the water.

At least 10 were following fly into shore, in order to get a take I had to strike as soon as one had it's mouth on it.Small flies with flying treble was the key. I have tried many times since that year and have had no luck whatsoever.

Maybe this year they will come back.
anthony2carr
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby flynnboy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:45 pm

What a gorgeous day it's been, it must have been beautiful out there on the water today.

FB
flynnboy
flynnboy
SAI Hammerhead

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing