Portaferry 25/07/05

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Portaferry 25/07/05

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:31 pm

People: 2 (including myself)

Duration: 3 hours

Tide: Spring tide - 3 hours into the ebb.

Weather: Flat calm and dry.

Bait: Feathers, baited hokeyes, lures.

Rigs: Jigs and spinning gear

Results: 20 - 30 Pollack and Coal fish from 2- 3.5lbs and numerous mackeral.

Report: First outing in over a year was a joy to behold. Fished areas between Bankmore and Ardminnan Gowlings. Results could have been a lot, lot better, however we were intent on experimentation and fished places that are not usually (to the best of my knowledge) fished. Results from different areas were mixed, however the fishing was very good on occasions.

Although we were only fishing a limited number of baits and lures the fish didn't seem to have any preferences, they were after anything that moved. The majority of the mackeral were caught on light spinning tackle, which proved to be fantastic fun, given that the majority of them were in the 1.5 - 2lb bracket.

Biggest fish of the day was a 3.5lb Pollack which fell to baited feathers and was taken in shallow water, perhaps only 5 - 6 fathoms. Disappointingly it didn't put up half the struggle that the mackeral did.

Hopefully will be out a lot more, even though the boat is small, and hopefully will be exploring numerous marks both inside and outside Strangford Lough.

Postby Ferrylights » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:34 pm

Forgot to log in to post the report. It's been a while since I contributed here.
Ferrylights

Postby raymondo » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:42 pm

lucky you! i'm just in after feathering for mackeral around klondyke and dunnyneil all i got was a small red cod (about 1lb) and a baby pollock.
raymondo

Postby Drew » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:41 pm

Ferrylights wrote:Forgot to log in to post the report. It's been a while since I contributed here.

I'd love to live somewhere like Portaferry, Anglers Dream...
Mmmm Congers.
2015 Lure: Pollack, Herring, Whiting, Sand Goby, Poor Cod, Pouting

42 Species to beat 2011 & 2014
Drew
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 101 times

Postby ray » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:06 pm

i tried fishing here on mon (1 aug)how in heavens name do you manage to stay on the mark? i drifted down to the south cardinal bouy in about 20 min and it took well over an hour and 4 gallons of fuel to get back into the lough! i suppose that i could have anchored but i hate anchoring when i'm on my own. if i try it again i'm going at slack water of taking a whole lot more fuel.
ray

Postby ray » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:47 pm

there was a 6-7lb pollack caught today at lee's wreck on a spinner
ray

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports