Puca-Loop head/shannon estuary Mon 1 aug

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Puca-Loop head/shannon estuary Mon 1 aug

Postby bigkev » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:00 pm

People-Me( As my usual crew were too intoxicated after a weekend of excess)
Tide- High at 3.50 pm
Weather-Outstanding in light and variable winds

Headed off loop head with the aim of catching mackerel and then heading off for some rough ground mixed fishing, followed by some tope fishing back in the estuary.
Aaaagghghh!!!
Where have all the mackerel gone. 3 weeks ago, the area was paved with them. Several hours determined fishing saw me get enough for bait, but it was a struggle.
Off to the rough broken ground north of the head and baited feathers were the order of the day. The whiting were conspicuous by their absence , but a steady run of codling in the 3-5lbs range have arrived on the reefs, and the fishing was slow but steady.A smattering of cuckoo wrasse,pouting, small haddock, small pollack and micro ling rounded up the catch.
Then back up the estuary for tope. Mackerel fillets on uptide rigs were duly launched.
Not a run, not a sniff. Where have all the tope gone. I think they may dispersed into smaller groups further up the estuary but no sign of them yesterday.
However, I did get 5 huss with two over ten pounds and one approaching fifteen. A small thornback completed the day.
All in all, steady but unspectacular fishing. The absence of large pollack and mackerel puzzles me, but maybe next week will show this as a seasonal blip
Did I mention the dolphins? Buggers keep coming up and grinning at me!
Kev
bigkev
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby MAC » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:57 pm

Nothing wrong with that report Kev. Sounds like you had some pretty good fishing. Well done mate.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports