Courtmacsherry

Postby gitboy » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:57 am

People: Club Weekend

Duration: Friday 29th- Monday 1st

Tide: Slack tides

Weather: Not bad but picked up on sunday and monday

Bait: Mackeral mostly

Rigs: Running ledger and leadheads

Results: Plently of large Pollack some over 10lb, Cod to 10lb, Ling to over 10lb, Coalfish to 10lb and Conger to 40lb and Haddock,Bull Huss, Whiting, Ballan and Cuckoo Wrasse,

As usual quality fishing down in west cork, even if the wind really was in our favour to get the fish feeding hard.

Report:
gitboy
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 24 times

Courtmacsherry

Postby Colmm » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:05 am

We'll be fishing there in a few weeks. Have you any tips for what worked better or worse on the day?
Did you fish the wrecks and if so how heavy would you recomend going with your tackle? I was hoping to bring along a 12lb class rod for the shadding and leadheads etc and a 20lb class rod for the bait fishing into the wreck?
What do you think?
Cheers
Colm
Colmm

Postby x » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:18 am

There was a good article on just that subject in Irish Angler this month if I remember, if you can find a copy. If not, drop me a line and I'll see if I can dig it out and copy you on the relevant points.
x

Courtmacsherry

Postby Colmm » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:01 pm

Cheers Sandman, was the article in the July edition? I'll check in on the newsagent this evening and you know tomorrow if I've had success in finding the mag/article.
Colmm

Postby gitboy » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:26 pm

Comm,
The set up your suggesting is identical to the one i was using. 10lb cod on a leadhead fished with penn 525 30lb briad 12-20lb penn tidecutter. and for the conger i used a penn 320 ld 50lb braid 20-30lb Daiwa powerlift.

As for tactics the skippers on the boats out of courtmacsherry are experts and if you listen to them carefully, it will be hard for u not to get into the fish.

The article in the irish angler is brilliant and the rig they use, with the leadhead off a weighted boom works well getting down to the wrecks (some over 350ft down),. After trial and error and some coaching from the experts we found the best method is to drop to the bottom, on hitting the wreck you wind 20 turns-very quickly.. and then slow this down and do another 20-30 turns..this should definatly get you into the pollock and coalies (as u slow down the chasing fish thinks its gaiNing on the shad and therfore attacks). for cod fishing tight against the wreck is preferred. The old trusty flowing trace with a mackeral flapper of fillet for the conger and the ling with some muppets for effect. hope this help, i know u'll have a gr8 couple of days down there.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity..

http://www.ecrsac.com
gitboy
SAI Bait Ball

Postby blaker » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:12 pm

Gitboy,

I wastakling to a few of you guys over the weekend. Who was the guy passed out in the chair (Dublin jersey) on friday night!
There was 3 specimen coalies and 2 skate taken on Monday, were you involved in that at all?
blaker
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby gitboy » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:43 am

i'm sure that was one of the lads, blaker did u see the specimen mullet caught on the pier. we were fishing for bass on the point on monday, only managed a couple of pollock and mackeral on spinner & also got a nice bull huss on mackeral, there seems to be alot of skate been caught down there at the moment,there was 12 taken the week previous....
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity..

http://www.ecrsac.com
gitboy
SAI Bait Ball

article

Postby Colmm » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:43 am

Cheers Lads, I got my hamds on the August edition of Irish Angler last night with the aforementioned article, great reading.
Colmm

Postby blaker » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:59 pm

mullet man was me. the specimens were caught the previous week (all returned bar one which was flahed from the fight). we had approximately 30 between me, the dad and the uncle. Had them feeding beautifully but that was ruined by the summer anglers casting between us with 6 set feathers trying to foul hook them. A hangable offence in every form of angling except sea it seems.
blaker
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports