Stinking fish

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Stinking fish

Postby bigden » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:22 pm

I've not long returned from a fortnight in West Cork/Kerry, and I fgound that every little stone pier or quay I visited was stacked high with boxes of abandoned and stinking fish. The smell was invariably so sick-making that I couldn't bring myself to look inside, but would they be undersize fish, or fish in excess of quota, or what? There was a particular quay-cum-slipway in Kerry used by a couple of lobster potters who just dumped the unwanted by-products of their catch all over the quay - dozens of spider crabs and dogfish left to rot in the midday sun. I'd love to have sympathy with the commercial boys and their precarious living, but it's difficult when some of them seem intent on behaving like sub-humans!
bigden
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Tanglerat » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:27 pm

Possibly it's their pot bait for the next time they shoot their pots. Still not a great tourist atttraction, is it?

Get any fishing done while you were there?
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

stinking fish

Postby bigden » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:36 am

hi Tanglerat Not much in West Cork bar mackerel and dogs (and a brilliant otter sighting), better in Kerry - a big huss off the Valentia bridge, flatties at St Finans Bay, conger pollack dogs and large rockling at Cooscrome near Caherciveen
bigden
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

A wonderful attitude

Postby drseafish » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:31 pm

If its not a lot of fish boxes it is usually stuff for pot bait. However, I have witnessed >20 boxes of rotting dogfish left in the sun, to see them dumped at a later date. These commercial guys don't give a **** and nor to they care what people think , otherwise they would at least try to hide such behavior. I think that sometimes there is a good market for doggies but if it goes flat well they just dump them. I also believe that a lot of small fish are taken then sold on as pellet bait for fish farms. I once witnessed boxes (~50) of tiny whiting landed at night, immediately loaded onto a truck and taken away in minutes. A very organized and profitable part of the business. These guys would sell the last fish in the sea to the highest bidder. Never a thought of the future. Always complaining and looking for handouts as well. Its not a business its taxpayers paying for racketeering.
drseafish
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 1 time

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions