New to forum and short intro

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

New to forum and short intro

Postby Deleted User 3157 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:51 pm

Hi all,

My first post this, but must admit to looking in without registering for quite some time I only really started swff about two years ago, and have really surprised myself by how much I have grown to love it. Being a freshwater angler since a boy the cross over to the ocean has been a very big step. I was however, fly fishing for pike long before it became fashionable so was already used to 9 weight lines and rods which has helped me enormously. I am yet to set the world alight with my catches and my progress is slow, but I am a quick learner so I hope to do much better this year. Location is what I struggle with. There are times when I know I have fished well and at the right times, I have simply not been in the right place! Here in Ireland I see that as the biggest problem, I see very few other anglers on my travels and definitely no other saltwater fly fishers (maybe they are all fishing the right places!). So sharing info and tactics is a non starter. In some ways it makes it more enjoyable, but frustratingly slow going for someone who fishes alone. So hence me getting involved on this forum.

Thought I would just introduce myself, looking forward to joining in on the forum in the future
Deleted User 3157

Re: New to forum and short intro

Postby gfkelly1969 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:38 pm

welcome to the site JEM7,i never tried the swff or even the fwff and i have a fly rod for 2 years :oops: :roll: so i am not much help to you
I also see very few other anglers on my travels but if you post the area you fish i am sure some of the members on this site will be willing to help you
lifetime species fishing and rock pool
1 dogfish,2 whiting,3 flounder,4 two spot goby,5 mackerel,6 pollack,7 common blenny,8 European eel,9 butterfish,10 Deep-snouted pipefish,11 rock goby,12 poor cod,13 corkwing wrasse,14 coalfish,15 turbot,16 tompot blenny,17 dab,18 dragonet,19 shorerockling,20 thornback ray,21 three bearded rockling,22 sandeel,23 grey gurnard,24 sea scorpion,25 scad,26 plaice,27 ballen wrasse,28 bullhuss,29 conger eel,30 blue shark,31 blonde ray,32 cod,33 pouting,34 topknot,35 Fifteen-spine Stickleback,36 mullet,37 Sand Goby,38 Montagu's Blenny,39 Three-spined Stickleback,40 goldshinny wrasse,41 painted goby,42 five bearded rockling,43 Sand-Smelt,44 Small-headed Clingfish ,45 sole

http://clifdenfishing.webs.com

http://clifdensearay.webs.com/
gfkelly1969
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 223 times

Postby kerrywez » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:14 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I am somewhat in the same boat as yourself, though without the Pike experience. Since I got my outfit I have only been out on two occasions and blanked both times. I have yet to meet another SWFFman anywhere in all my fishing outings, or any time I have been to the water, so we must surely be a very rare breed indeed.

I think that as we get into the warmer weather we might have a better chance of some fish. I know that I have one spot which produces sea trout and bass to lures and have not reason to think that they will not take fly.

I hope that you will learn from the more experienced members here, as I am doing, hopefully. I have found the members here to be very helpful and they have encouraged me too. I know that with the help and encouragement I have found here I will have a better and more informed chance success.

Good luck and I am sure you will succeed, all we need is the weather and success is just a matter of getting out there.

Best regards Wez
Tight lines
kerrywez
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 68 times

Postby Deleted User 3157 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:32 pm

Thanks Guys,

Fish mostly around the Clare and Kerry areas, but do have further trips all over the place really, funnily enough I was down in Dingle only last week (not fishing sadly) but did find the time for a good long walk along Brandon strand from where the streams cross the beach up to stradbally and beyond, never saw a single person anywhere, conditions looked perfect with a nice gentle surf, gutted I never took the fly rod with me! :cry:
Deleted User 3157

Postby kerrywez » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:08 pm

Hi Jem,
I have been to Inch and Rossbeigh over the past few weeks, mostly fishing with the beachcaster, but had no luck, truth be told my bait was only Mack and I was using very big baits, looking for big fish, but had no success. The blokes with me were using smaller baits, but out of all the sessions, around 4 in all, they only had one very small schoolie bass and a few flounder. There was a Dublin guy fishing Ross around a month ago and he had some success having had around 10 bass over the week, he did say that he had most success with razor, with peeler second. I have heard reports of fish being caught on Ross, but have no confirmation of this. The club had a competition on Inch 5 weeks ago and there were only 4 Bass caught and they were all under size, one just under, but the rest were only around 8 inches and a few flounder, mostly small also.

I was to go fly fishing this weekend, but never heard from the person who was to come, can't say as I blame him, the weather has been so bad, as you well know. I was hoping to go for a few sea trout today or tomorrow, but this weather is not good and I am recovering from a bad chest infection, so will not risk it.

Good luck and if there is any improvement around here I will inform you by PM. Not long now till the closed season anyway.

Very best wishes Wez
Tight lines
kerrywez
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 68 times

Postby Deleted User 3157 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:58 pm

I am recovering from a bad chest infection, so will not risk it.

Thanks KW, Much more important to get yourself well again. Our coast line is not the best place for someone trying to shack off a chest infection to be hanging around, especailly at the moment. All the best.
Deleted User 3157

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing