Sunday Independent this morning

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Sunday Independent this morning

Postby blaker » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:40 am

On Page 8.

I'll just give some stats from the 1/3 page article.

A major anglers protest is planned at the FF Ard Fheis in KLillarney in October (details anyone?)
Salmon angling tourism has halved from 54ooo to 27ooo since 1999
Commercial netting accounts for 80% of salmon caught in Irish waters
The Trout & Sakmon mag in Britain (Sea Angler for game fishermen) calls Ireland "international outlaws"
An angler caught salmon is worth €423 to the economy but a net caught one is worth less than €22.
blaker
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Conor » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:48 am

Blaker I haven't seen that report in the paper because I am over in Germany working until the end of August but the statistics are frightening.
These are the type of facts that will make TDs and Bord failte help a lobby of the government. It must now be at the stage where in western communities, more money is being lost to the local economy than is being gained by the same small communities where salmon drift fishermen live.
Anyone planning on going to the protest? I've never fished that area before....
Conor
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Tanglerat » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:18 pm

Sounds like these guys might be involved:

http://www.fissta.com/

We should take a careful look at who they are and what they do, it seems that they are further on down the conservation road than we are. We might learn a few things from them.

Although, we as Recreational Sea Anglers haven't really found the Conservation Road as yet, have we?
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby Leon Roskilly » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:42 pm

And there's these folks:

http://www.stopnow.ie/about.html

The story was featured on today's Country File Programme on BBC2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/environment ... untryfile/

" Irish drift nets

Charlotte Smith reports on a controversy over an increasingly scarce resource - fish. Anglers say drift nets in use off the western coast of Eire are catching too many salmon and preventing the fish returning to rivers to spawn. Graeme Harris, from the Welsh Salmon and Trout Angling Association, says Irish commercial fishermen are taking around 10% of salmon returning from the Atlantic.

In Eire, Niall Green has launched campaign group, Stop Irish Drift Nets Now. There are 850 Irish drift net fishermen and he believes that number should be cut by three quarters. However, Irish drift net fisherman Frank Flanagan is unrepentant. He says the industry is already well regulated with the catch strictly limited by quotas and restrictions on how far fishermen are allowed to take the drift nets.

Two years ago the British Government's Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs acted with anglers and other beneficiaries to conserve salmon stocks by buying out drift net fishermen off the northeast coast of England in return for compensation of £3.5m. It's thought the Irish Government will now come under pressure to follow suit, although ministers have already stated that they're not prepared to offer similar compensation to their fishermen."

Tight Lines - leon
Leon Roskilly
SAI Bait Ball

Postby blaker » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:30 pm

Leon, in relation to that BBC programme I thought the most amazing thing was the Government statement. They said, in plain English that there were no plans to buy out or compensate drift net fishermen and that any such programme would have to be funded by private interest groups.
If anybody was in any doubt as to the total lack of concern on the governments part there can be no such doubt after such a statement.
blaker
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Liamo » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:46 pm

Lads,

Any details on that protest in Killarney would be greatly appreciated. I only fish in the sea and never bother with rivers or Salmon/Trout etc. but the more bodies we get out on the street for the future of Angling as a whole is a good thing I reckon.

I will be there
Liamo

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions