Strength in numbers...

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Strength in numbers...

Postby x » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:48 am

While everyone's welcome to surf by as a guest, it'd help if as many of us who do this as possible signed up as a user, adding a bit of detail to their profile so we can see where roughly everyone is from.

It'd look better for us to be able to say we have x registered members as opposed to saying the site gets lots of anonymous hits. The fastest way to get discredited as a group is to be dismissed as a small group.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
x

Re: Strength in numbers...

Postby gowerray » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:12 pm

[quote="Sandman"]

It'd look better for us to be able to say we have x registered members as opposed to saying the site gets lots of anonymous hits. The fastest way to get discredited as a group is to be dismissed as a small group. quote]
I'm too far away from Ireland to be of any real use to SAI (No use for anything much according to the wife but there you go) but I will give my support.
The numbers thing is, as I said in an earlier post, a biggy when it comes to talking to the powers to be and they don't shy away from pointing it out. Leon suggested 'SACN/Ireland' as a step forward. That means all those who have joined the SACN and hopefully taken it onto establishing SACN/Ireland will not only have added to the numbers of the main SACN organisation but also, more importantly, got the numbers of the whole behind them when dealing with your Fish Authority people. And as the SACN is recognised as a 'MAIN' point of contact in talks regarding Recreational Sea Anglers and UK Government Fishery Departments, one BIG foot in the door.
There's little doubt that SAI has the people with the knowledge and capabilities to carry it off. There is also a great fervour here as well and that's the heart of this machine.
I feel honoured to be allowed to join in on this site and really enjoy the craic. I can't for the life of me understand the 'guest' syndrome. This great site costs nothing except a few seconds of time to register. As Sandman says 'The numbers are all important', important to anyone who wants there to be Fish in the Sea for our Grandchildren.
There endeth today's outburst. Off to make Pizzas.
Ray
gowerray

Just an idea

Postby drseafish » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:38 pm

We all know that fish numbers are decreasing, but I feel that if we want to really sell or message about how this natural resource is been decimated we need figures.
Ok I am sure lots of figures exist of commercial activities (if true not that we are getting a real picture of whats been going on), but what about shore fishing. Do the provincial or club sectaries have this data and if so could we use it to show changing fish populations, decreasing size etc...
I know some surveys of inshore juvenile fish are undertaken periodically has this shown anything that might help our cause (new marine institute outside Galway).
How can we quantifiably show how bad things have become?
drseafish
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Conor » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:36 pm

The best way to demonstrate how bad our fish stocks have become is to read the annual Stock Book produced by the Marine Institute every year which examines and calculates the size of every fish stock around Ireland in a scientific, controlled manner. This is carried out by all fishing nations in the EU (and Norway, Iceland etc.) throughout all fish stocks in Europe. It is free on the internet on http://www.marine.ie
Conor
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions