surface feeding bass

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

surface feeding bass

Postby frodo baggins » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:16 pm

i covered two groups of bass lastnight, both feeding well, or so it appeared. and for love nor money would they look at the fly. i finally managed to rise two of them, but my stupid trout fishing instincts kicked in, and i pulled the hooks outta their mouths before they got a chance to properly nail the fly(plus Cory gave me blunt hooks!!!!)
anyway, i'm perplexed as to what the fish were feeding on, there was no sign of bait fish breaking the surface, and the bass were constantly sipping on the surface, similar to trout on buzzers. very relaxed, just cruising below the suface ina small area picking things off at their leisure, any suggestions as to what the hell they were on?...
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
frodo baggins
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby stylie » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:12 pm

i actually saw bass doing that last year in courtmacsherry thought at first they were mullet, but what they were feeding were very small crabs that were floating around in a very strong tide, was plugging at the time but had a pike fly rod in the car went and got it put up the nearest thing i had to a small crab and got a two pounder and lost another before they moved off, and at the time they did look like trout smutting
stylie

Postby nthclare » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:44 am

Hi Patrick where did you rise these bass Im not too busy this week and have loads of access to small crabs etc.

Oh yeah I found a colony of peelers on the west coast of clare it was full of them all cracked ready to pop and use I couldnt believe my luck with the lack of peelers in the Clare region it looks like things are going to change it was like a crop of gold I filled my kids sand bucket with them....
nthclare
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby frodo baggins » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:06 am

sent you a pm, i'm keeping this one quiet! and i have a feeling it will fish well this week!
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
frodo baggins
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing