Mullet fly question...

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Mullet fly question...

Postby James Barry » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:04 am

Have any of ye lads tryed small bead head nymphs for Mullet and had any success with them, I think I read somewhere before that they work well. I have a few flashback nymphs which I use for trout fishing was thinking of giving them a go.....or should I just stick to the bread fly??
><(('> ...... ><(('>
James Barry
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 25 times

Re: Mullet fly question...

Postby dunner » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:29 pm

i tried a black and green czech nymph (goldhead), a sawer killer bug and black and green gold head hare's ear. but no hook ups,
I think you need them really feeding hard on the surface for these so i will keep trying...every time i see mullet feeding like this i seem to have the lure rod with me and 15cm plugs!!!!!!!!!
I am going to watch the big tides 4.2meter which flood the rotting seaweed to try them again............
dunner
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby James Barry » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:49 pm

Well dunner, going to give it a go when the mullet move up the river into the city (cork) they usually arrive just as the exams are starting :roll: have got plenty on the bread but want one on the fly rod :D would be good craic!!!
><(('> ...... ><(('>
James Barry
SAI Hammerhead

Postby theshoreking » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:54 pm

James,

other options would be small dry flies. Also you could try the nymph (maggot lookin one) around rotting weed fished "New Zealand" style under a floating bread fly. Mullet can be very wary so you would have to be careful of the leader spooking them with a two fly set up, i.e. they could touch off the dropper when going for the dry. Also if they miss the dry etc you can get a lot of foul hook ups with this method. I'm sure Jim has a few other mullet flies and suggestions.

sk
theshoreking

Postby James Barry » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:19 pm

Never thought of the New Zealand style for the mullet, I use it on the river suir with a big klinkhammer as the dry absolutely deadly for the trout up there!! Will give that a go when I get the chance.
><(('> ...... ><(('>
James Barry
SAI Hammerhead

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing