gtx reel

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

gtx reel

Postby Eoin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:43 pm

has any body used a greys gtx reel in the salt? i'm thinking about getting one. the spools for my fancy reel are too expensive and i have gone off lines with several shooting heads. i have a gtx reel for trout and i love it.
Eoin
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 15 times

Re: gtx reel

Postby theshoreking » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:36 pm

Eoin ,

I have a feeling it may not be saltwater proof and would be a little worried about the drag for swff. That said I used a cheapy carbon reel for quite a while when I first started swff and it was ok. Also, if you are using interchangeable shooting heads and only need one reel why not go for a good saltwater one??

So far as I am aware the Lamson reels are sw proof so maybe have a look at a Konic or similar. Not too bad a price I would think. Didnt see that model of the greys up at the dublin show on sunday but I did see the new x flites and they look a nice freshwater reel.

sk
theshoreking

Postby anthony2carr » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:01 pm

Just seen this post now.

I had a greys GTX for two years. Used it in the saltwater once, I don't have a greys GTX anymore.

Seized straight away.
anthony2carr
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Eoin » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:56 pm

cheers sk
there are a lot of saltwater reels out there but not with a cassette system. i gave the shooting head system a go and found when using the sinking head there was no room for error in the cast. i am a good caster but i dont like sacreficing presentation.

ya i checked out the x flyte but i prefere the gtx as it dosnt click when reeling in and a flick of the handle will give 5 or 6 revs.

theshoreking wrote:Eoin ,

I have a feeling it may not be saltwater proof and would be a little worried about the drag for swff. That said I used a cheapy carbon reel for quite a while when I first started swff and it was ok. Also, if you are using interchangeable shooting heads and only need one reel why not go for a good saltwater one??

So far as I am aware the Lamson reels are sw proof so maybe have a look at a Konic or similar. Not too bad a price I would think. Didnt see that model of the greys up at the dublin show on sunday but I did see the new x flites and they look a nice freshwater reel.

sk
Eoin
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Eoin » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:58 pm

cheers anto
i will not be getting one for the salt now. fair play.

anthony2carr wrote:Just seen this post now.

I had a greys GTX for two years. Used it in the saltwater once, I don't have a greys GTX anymore.

Seized straight away.
Eoin
SAI Hammerhead

Postby theshoreking » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:56 pm

Eoin,

if the heads are the same weight there shouldn't be too much difference in casting them between sinking and floating. I know the sinking ones can be harder to get up out of the water or may have a tendancy to splash down more but once in the air they should cast the same. My suggestion is to add a versileader of say 10 to 15ft to the end of the sinking shooting head and then a tapered leader for improved presentation.

Other cassette reels that are likely saltwater proof would be the hardy demons and the new vision komas. Maybe check out these ones.

sk
theshoreking

Postby JimH » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:23 pm

Just passing through here Eoin and I noticed this – if you are casting with a sinking shooting head then your presentation is more than likely to be an underwater presentation. I guess you are trying to catch fish at some depth – depending both on the depth and the species; a poor presentation at the surface is not necessarily going to spook fish unless it’s a really bad one.

Even if it is a poor presentation re-casting with a shooting head is a fast process, retrieve, roll to surface, pick up back cast – shoot – try using a short leader less than six feet if fishing at depth especially if your fly is not weighted – it could be that it ends up ‘above’ the sinking line if your leader is too long and not in the ‘strike zone’ – plus a shorter leader will help to turn over bigger flies in your cast – it does no harm to open your loops a little too – the thinner diameter of the head will compensate for the little loss in distance!

Regarding a reel – unless you are going to pay for something like a Galvan, Abel, Nautilus, or Danielsson very few are saltwater PROOF. Resistant yes, but most will disintegrate in the salt over time (usually short) especially if not maintained. The following carbon composites may not be the best looking but they do last with little if any maintenance and spare spools are very inexpensive

Okuma Airframe 7/9 OR Loop CLW8-12

best
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby dunner » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:14 pm

JimH!!!!

i was using the Okuma Airframe 7/9 and was happy with it but treated myself to a sientific angler system32 89L reel......
did i waste my money?
dunner
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby JimH » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:09 pm

D

I dont think you wasted your money - the 89L is a tough reel and at 129.00 dollars not costing a fortune - only time will tell - I do know this the okuma is cheap and dependable and works basically non stop in Saltwater. You can drop it, submerge it, and most importantly forget about it, and it still performs - for 35.00 euros for Irish SW fishing - perfect!

A shiny reel wont catch more fish!
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Postby theshoreking » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:13 am

Jim,

well spotted about the reels. I should of course have said sw resistant and not proof. How would you rate the Hardy Zane in terms of resistance? I know these have dropped in price lately. Regarding the presentation I was thinking from the landing of the line on the surface and not the underwater presentation. Would you say that the depth of the water would have an influence here? Say in 6 to 8ft of water would a splashy cast spook a bass or seatrout or would you get away with it? By the way, its good to see you contributing on the site.

sk

JimH wrote:Just passing through here Eoin and I noticed this – if you are casting with a sinking shooting head then your presentation is more than likely to be an underwater presentation. I guess you are trying to catch fish at some depth – depending both on the depth and the species; a poor presentation at the surface is not necessarily going to spook fish unless it’s a really bad one.

Even if it is a poor presentation re-casting with a shooting head is a fast process, retrieve, roll to surface, pick up back cast – shoot – try using a short leader less than six feet if fishing at depth especially if your fly is not weighted – it could be that it ends up ‘above’ the sinking line if your leader is too long and not in the ‘strike zone’ – plus a shorter leader will help to turn over bigger flies in your cast – it does no harm to open your loops a little too – the thinner diameter of the head will compensate for the little loss in distance!

Regarding a reel – unless you are going to pay for something like a Galvan, Abel, Nautilus, or Danielsson very few are saltwater PROOF. Resistant yes, but most will disintegrate in the salt over time (usually short) especially if not maintained. The following carbon composites may not be the best looking but they do last with little if any maintenance and spare spools are very inexpensive

Okuma Airframe 7/9 OR Loop CLW8-12

best
theshoreking

Postby JimH » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:34 am

Hi SK

I guess a splashy landing is best avoided if possible - and I feel depending on species and on conditions it can be more or less relevant - I find bass holding just out of fast current in deepish water will not be too bothered by poor presentations (not too many) while ST tend to spook more easily in a lot of situations

The zane is a good reel by all accounts (expensive though), I dont have any experience of it im afraid - Im off to Andros in November for 10 days - some people will be bringing zanes with them I'll let you know how they get on!

Off home to Wexford now - but might get a short session in before lunch!!
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Postby lumpy » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:55 pm

just regarding saltwater proof/ resistant, as jim has said very few are truely resistant, even the high end tibors and abels are prone to corrosion if not maintained propperly. it is quite easy to keep them in good condition though. 5 minutes after each trip to strip off the flyline, wash the backing (tends to help buildup salt), wash the spool and frame and occasionally oil, will help maintain them for a long time. ive a vision gt4 which i probably get 60-70 sw sessions a year and it has very little signs of corrosion.

SK, if you are interested in a high end reel you might try looking at the Danielsson LW Reels. by far the best sw reel i have used over here, a very smooth darg that would control any fish you are likely to catch this side of the atlantic, and slightly cheaper than the hardys. from what i have heard the hardys are supposed to be a little cumbersome due to their width but unsure how true this is...
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby Eoin » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:42 pm

other than the quality of the materials used there are very few design innovations in fly reels. some of the ones ive come across are STH's turbine drag which uses a turbine in a little cell of silicone oil. it works like those excercise bikes with the fans on them to give resistance. theres also Marryat's Plus Dual-Mode Reel which has a slip clutch so when line is taken the handle dosnt turn, this can be disengaged and the reel used as normal hence "dual mode". there are also those nasty mitchell reels that rewind line via a spring mechanism, and like cars its a pity the japanese didnt make them. there are some reels with a multiplying gear, the first ones i saw were Martins. if only a top manufacturer, say Accurate, combined all the best features in a flawless way. now theres a reel worth real money.
Eoin
SAI Hammerhead

Postby theshoreking » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:07 pm

Err,

at risk of stickin me neck out a bit I am actually looking at a new outfit. A redington cpx 9ft 9wt or 10wt combined with a ULA reel and an outbound line. I am awaiting a price on it. If money was no object I would get a Zane TI reel. I know a guy who has one, probably the first if not only one purchased in Ireland. At the price of it (€6,000) I don't think he would lend it to me for a saltwater trial session though!!!

sk
theshoreking

Postby anthony2carr » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:09 pm

The zane is some reel.

I never had any problem with my vision XLA(4 years+)
or

the GNC (2 years). That I bought on ebay for about 50 squid.
anthony2carr
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby bigcol » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:26 pm

hi all.
I really got into the swff in a big way last year.(even started tying my own flies)

I was using an Okuma 7/9 and it is indestructable.
Some corrosion on the leg but still working very smooth.

I use the word was using because, after giving up the fags at xmas and gaining brownie points, the missus agreed i could buy a new reel ( sigh , if you REALLY need one ).

I await the delivery of the Zane this week :D

I will let you know how it performs.
col
bigcol
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Eoin » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:31 pm

good call sk
i think i will check out the new komas
have you had a chance to try that bait additive i pm'ed you?

theshoreking wrote:Eoin,

if the heads are the same weight there shouldn't be too much difference in casting them between sinking and floating. I know the sinking ones can be harder to get up out of the water or may have a tendancy to splash down more but once in the air they should cast the same. My suggestion is to add a versileader of say 10 to 15ft to the end of the sinking shooting head and then a tapered leader for improved presentation.

Other cassette reels that are likely saltwater proof would be the hardy demons and the new vision komas. Maybe check out these ones.

sk
Eoin
SAI Hammerhead

Postby theshoreking » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:26 pm

Am now thinking of going for the Guru instead of the ULA. Cheaper and I like the name!

Eoin, not yet!

sk
theshoreking

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing