Leader cutting loop...

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Leader cutting loop...

Postby James Barry » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:21 am

Hi lads have rio outbound line and was in the field practasing the tight loops, getting better distance etc (big difference from trout fishing thought id be grand :shock: )
Anyways made a few cracks while casting brought in the line when I was finished up and it looks like the leader might be cutting into the loop at the end of the fly line may be grand though :? last thing I want is to lose my first fly caught bass because of this any of ye have similar problem and how did ye fix it, I was thinking braided loop??
><(('> ...... ><(('>
James Barry
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 25 times

Re: Leader cutting loop...

Postby anthony2carr » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:34 am

Those loops can take a hell of alot of abuse before beaking.

One thing you should always have is a section of strong line looped into this loop, then loop your lighter leader material looped into this.

The strong line doesn't cut so much into your fly line loop.
anthony2carr
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby dunner » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:06 pm

is it just the coating thats being cut, i have the same thing with my rio outbound, but i dont think it will cut through??
dunner
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby lumpy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:22 pm

if itf a braided core to the fly line you should be safe, if its a mono core you might want to watch it as mono on mono can cause some frictioning and possible failure. might be worth putting some hard silicone tubing over the leader loop to hepl protect the fly line

also, are you knotting the leader to the loop on the fly line, or are you using a loop to loop connection
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby James Barry » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:30 pm

Thanks for the replys lads,

Lumpy I tied it directly first few times i was practicing with it... is loop to loop the best way to connect it up? When Im trout fishing i just tie on a foot or so of heavy mono to braided loop with normal knot then attach the leader....
><(('> ...... ><(('>
James Barry
SAI Hammerhead

Postby lumpy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:39 pm

ya i find loop to loop is better for saltwater/ pike fishing. no 1 its easier to change leaders but because of the 2 pieces of momo making up the loop as apposed to the 1 piece with a straight knot, theres greater dissipation of the pressure on the loop, thus eliminatuing the cutting.

heres diagram on it

http://www.fishandfly.com/articles/20060908_2

heres a link for a nice arrticle on getting started in swff..plenty of useful info
http://www.artsnflies.com/pages3/articl ... rted.shtml
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby James Barry » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:52 pm

Nice one Neil thanks for that....
><(('> ...... ><(('>
James Barry
SAI Hammerhead

Postby theshoreking » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:53 pm

Ok,

just to add a few points James.

Loop to loop would be fine as was mentioned. Would suggest a suitable tapered leader rather than making any other loops (exception would be if using bonefish leaders where leader butts are standard). Examples, Rio Powerflex in 1X or 0X which have a perfection loop already so easy to attach. NB Always use a perfection loop on your leader. If fishing for pike the toothy critter leaders would be useful.

Also, there is a fair diff to casting a trout outfit - best way to cure this - a few lessons from a good casting instructer. IMO one that knows about saltwater tackle and has at least done a bit of it. Only after the lessons will the practice make perfect. Hope this helps.

sk
theshoreking

Postby James Barry » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:31 pm

Usually use the tapered leaders but are a bit pricey.
Also have had lessons in the past woth every cent... mite get another one before things kick off fly wise. Your right thou its all down to practice....
><(('> ...... ><(('>
James Barry
SAI Hammerhead

Postby theshoreking » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:38 pm

James Barry wrote:Usually use the tapered leaders but are a bit pricey.
Also have had lessons in the past woth every cent... mite get another one before things kick off fly wise. Your right thou its all down to practice....

Yeah. Around 10 euro for a triple pack. I find they last a while though.
theshoreking

Postby anthony2carr » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:13 am

Very easy to make tappered leaders yourself.

Different line weights tied together.Although tappered leaders are not so important in SWFF as the big fly is more than capable of turning itself over.
anthony2carr
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby theshoreking » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:31 pm

Err,

indeed you can make yer own but theres more knots to break if you make yer own tapered leader. Also, I have always read that heavier flies are more difficult to turn over than lighter flies??????

sk
theshoreking

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing