fast sinking lines

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

fast sinking lines

Postby Eoin » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:52 pm

has anybody used a Cortland 444SL Qd Saltwater or a Scientific Anglers Streamer Express. if you have used either of these lines how do you rate them. what applications arethe best suited for - fly size, casting distance etc..
Eoin
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 15 times

Re: fast sinking lines

Postby anthony2carr » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:57 pm

If you want a fast sinking line go for Rio Deep Sea.

Best there is.
anthony2carr
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Eoin » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:44 pm

cheers for that but i am only looking at cold water lines.

anthony2carr wrote:If you want a fast sinking line go for Rio Deep Sea.

Best there is.
Eoin
SAI Hammerhead

Postby lumpy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:43 pm

also worthe trying the jim teeny lines, ive a 550 grain for the past 3 years and find it brilliant. sinking rate oof 9.5 inches/second and it doesnt hinge as much as the rio or from what ive heard the scientific angler..
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby Eoin » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:57 pm

cheers
just got the SA on the advise of a casting champion. dont think it would sink as fast, but it is a 350 gr for a 10wt rod.

lumpy wrote:also worthe trying the jim teeny lines, ive a 550 grain for the past 3 years and find it brilliant. sinking rate oof 9.5 inches/second and it doesnt hinge as much as the rio or from what ive heard the scientific angler..
Eoin
SAI Hammerhead

Postby anthony2carr » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:25 am

The whole thing about Rio Deep sea being a warm water line is sh#te.

Never had a problem with it. It does coil up sometimes, but so does Jim teeny. Both lines shoot like a breeze.

I have the 250g on T-series
and the
450g on Deep sea.

I can cast 450 on 9wt and 10wt.
I can also cast 250 on 9wt and 10wt.

I change lines depending on how deep I want to go. The 450 is too quick for 15ft of water, but anything deeper it works fine.
anthony2carr
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby lumpy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:49 am

never said that it was a warm water line, said it hinges where the running line and head meet, its common for high grain lines. usually due to a taper that is too steep. rio themselves admitted this and the newer lines (past 2-3 months) have a slightly more relaxed taper.
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Eoin » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:38 pm

do you use your warm water lines on a fast rod? if so does it hinder the loops being not as tight as optimal. i know warm water lines coil much more than cold water lines when used in cold water but this shouldnt matter too much if you only use it to strip lures at a relative pace. its worse to go the other way and use a cold water line in tropical weather.

anthony2carr wrote:The whole thing about Rio Deep sea being a warm water line is sh#te.

Never had a problem with it. It does coil up sometimes, but so does Jim teeny. Both lines shoot like a breeze.

I have the 250g on T-series
and the
450g on Deep sea.

I can cast 450 on 9wt and 10wt.
I can also cast 250 on 9wt and 10wt.

I change lines depending on how deep I want to go. The 450 is too quick for 15ft of water, but anything deeper it works fine.
Eoin
SAI Hammerhead

Postby anthony2carr » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:59 pm

I do. The loops are not as tight as I use on my trout rods.

That's because the lines are essentially shooting heads, not true fly lines. I can still off load 100ft of line with very little false casting. There is nothing to be gained from having tighter loops in this case.
anthony2carr
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby lumpy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:20 pm

have to disagree, try fishing with an open loop into a strong head wind with a bulky headed fly and see your distance decrease, close the loops and hey presto, greater distance.also an open loop is very difficult to cast accurately as there is such a large surface area at the front of the loop it has a far higher chance of lateral movement due to cross winds. i discovered this the hard way with stalking mullet

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Postby anthony2carr » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:28 pm

lumpy wrote:have to disagree, try fishing with an open loop into a strong head wind with a bulky headed fly and see your distance decrease, close the loops and hey presto, greater distance.also an open loop is very difficult to cast accurately as there is such a large surface area at the front of the loop it has a far higher chance of lateral movement due to cross winds. i discovered this the hard way with stalking mullet

Wind has never been a problem with my setup. I use a Greys Platinum XD 9wt saltwater and the afore mentioned lines.

I also use a sharpes of aberdeen 15ft DH, with the afore mentioned lines.

I will consistently offload all fly line (I don't like going into backing), in all but gale force wind and I have fished some very strong headwinds.
anthony2carr
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby anthony2carr » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:16 pm

The reason I do this is because these lines are incredibly fast and allow split seconds for completing a correct cast.

I open up the loops in an attempt to slow down loading and unloading of rod. This also allows me time to complete a double haul on the line and reach maximum line speed on the forward stroke only.
anthony2carr
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby theshoreking » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:40 pm

1. I would suggest a rio outbound for the fly line (although prob too late now). The other lines are also good lines.
2. I would suggest a Hardy Zane, Guideline LPXE, or Redington CPX for single handed rod.
3. And don't take this the wrong way. Although the fly line is important, distance castin is more about technique etc.
4. I would suggest most saltwater anglers cast with somewhat open loops owing to to the size of flies in use. This is a FACT!
5. Again don't take this the wrong way but, IMO there are better dh rods than a Sharpes.
theshoreking

Postby dunner » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:10 pm

as a novice i was directed towards rio outbound shooting taper, and found it really helped my distance.
Although, i still find the wind (not me ..mother nature) a problem, still learning.
Maybe in a few years i willthink its cr*p, but for now , im sold.......
http://stores.gorgeflyshops.com/Detail.bok?no=1123
dunner
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 5 times

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing