Tope Action - Dingle Bay/Cromane 11-06-05

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Tope Action - Dingle Bay/Cromane 11-06-05

Postby SeanP » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:44 pm

Fished Last Monday with Bigcol and my Dad, had a bit more luck getting Mackeral this time as we launched from the slip at Annascaul, got about 20 Mackeral then motored across to the end of Inch strand in the channel between Inch and Rossbeigh, we got there about an hour before low water, Colm managed to get a good few Thornbacks, as the flood started we moved to the deeper part and it was not long before the ratchets were buzzing, I managed to get my first Tope in the boat (well on my rod anyway) had runs before but never connected, had another run and missed that, my dad had to runs and missed those as well, now Colm - well, this bit of a tap on the rod tip got talked into being a tope (probably) and off the reel went - yes, yes! its on! and then Oh no! its away! 65lb braid frayed off. We were using large full Mackeral which from what i believe now were to big a bait.
Sean,

[img]http://www.firiescountryfurniture.com/Other/Tope110605.jpg[/img]

This Ray was from a trip 2 days previous, which was a failed Tope mission as we spent 3hrs for 1 Mackeral!
[img]http://www.firiescountryfurniture.com/Other/Ray110605.jpg[/img]
SeanP
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 0 time

Tope action

Postby bigkev » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:15 am

Nice one lads. Great pictures as we have come to expect from your team. I find if you get dropped or missed runs Sean, dropping down to a side of mackerel fillet on 6/0 hooks, can increase your hook ups.
Kev
I must get my digital camera sorted, as the pictures really make the reporrt
bigkev
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby arthurg » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:42 am

Has anyone tried Flatties for bait instead of Mackerel?

I heard that they were very good.

It would also make sense as many of the prime Tope Loughs are full of Flatties I believe (Swilly, Strangford).
arthurg

Postby SeanP » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:47 pm

Thanks Kev, yes will try that next trip out.
Aurthur I'm sure that flatties would be a good bait as well, it's just the time catching them, although 1 Mack in 3hrs from the previous trip should'nt be hard to improve on!
Cheers Sean,
SeanP
SAI Hammerhead

Postby paulbryson75 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:13 am

Gents with regards to the flatties for tope i've tried this a couple of times in Lough Swilly. I managed to catch one tope and loose another on Flounder live baits but would have to say did much better using mackeral over similar time frame, may try it again next week if mackeral hard to find - although the flatties would be a more natural bait for our tope I think the smell of mackeral, especially fresh, has a lot to do with its success. In the Thames estuary they reckon the best bait for big tope is sections of fresh water eel - has anyone tried that here? Then again as they its all about having your bait (whatever it happens to be) in the right place at the right time. I once got a tope on a redgill lure fishing for pollack over a wreck during Glengad festival - managed to boat him even though was only using 20lb trace line, bit of luck as must have stuck between its teeth - thought i had a new Irish record pollack!!!!
If you read this Arthur are there many mackeral about in the Swilly??, i've been away with work and only back today, will give it a good bash next week weather permitting.
Cheers
Paul
paulbryson75
SAI Bait Ball

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports