Cricket - Port Na Blagh

Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:36 am

People:
H Rocks, Graeme Reid, Christy and Paddy Kennedy, Marty Gillespie, Phily Gordon, Marty's mate, who will remain nameless - because I didn't catch his name.

Duration:
9AM to 6PM
Tide:

Weather:
Rain, and fairly windy, calmer to the North of Tory
Bait:
Fresh mackerel - no shortage - sounder showed mackerel from Port Na Blagh to Tory constantly
Jelly worms and leadheads - black with pink tails worked better that black and chartreuse
Rigs:
Jelly worm & leadheads, feathers, hokkais, conger traces.
Results:
A lot of pollock to about 9.5 to 10lb. 3 conger. Coalies.

Report:
Left the harbour at about 9am, wind picked up as we got close to tory and the sea got a bit on the lumpy side. Fishing was best in the higher swell, though Paddy lost his footing and fell and broke his rod. Christy got a bit on the queasy side so we headed for the sheltered side of Tory and fished the bays . Spinning for Pollock worked best here with some nice fish taken on light tackle. We were joined for a few minutes by 2 dolphins which was nice to see.
We moved in to the Anvil at about 4 and Graeme set up for conger with immediate success - 3 were taken in about an hour (photo to follow) - none too big but good craic and Graeme's conger duck was broken.
A good days fishing in all, but hopefully it'll not be as rough again this year. It was a first outing with me for the other 6, and I imagine from talking to them afterwards that the usual crew will find it very difficult to get their places back when they return form wherever they are.

Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:58 am

Heyyyyyy, no fair, I am on the other side of the world! :(

Cracking fishing, I'm back on Sunday, can't wait to spin a line again.

All this exotic tropical fishing gets a bit repetitive....... :D

Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:01 pm

must be tough Gerry ! Those barracuda and shark don't compare to the pollock and coalie !! ... and the sun - I hate it - it brings me out in an unnatural healthy glow as opposed to the pasty light blue that us Irish are supposed to be !!

Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:20 am

Wait till I tell you the yarn about that shark! :P

Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:51 am

we're out again on 25th Gerry if ur interested.

Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:21 pm

Oh yes indeedy I'm interested!

I'm back home on sunday night, give me a couple of days to catch up on myself and I'll confirm.

Lovely. :P